Many of us know this but I found this interesting article at:
It's long but thought you maybe interested.
[B]Key points are as follows:[/B]
1) In a study subjects were given an amino acid/carbohydrate supplement either immediately before or immediately after a workout.......amino acid uptake was significantly greater both during and for the first hour after the workout for those who took the supplement before exercising. It has been established for some time that consuming protein immediately after exercise â€”especially when combined with carbohydrateâ€”results in much more rapid muscle protein synthesis (needed for muscle repair and building) than waiting until oneâ€™s next meal to consume protein. However, this study indicates that consuming protein and/or amino acids before exercise accelerates this process much further by making amino acids more readily available.
2) ...consuming amino acids during exercise also accelerates protein synthesis post-exercise Branched Amino Acid (BCAA) intake affects protein metabolism in muscle after but not during exercise in humans.
3) USE OF CARBS & PROTIEN: .....The carbohydrate/protein drink increased time to exhaustion by 36 percent over the carbohydrate supplement and by 55 percent more than water. Why was the addition of protein beneficial? It appears that the effectiveness of carbohydrate consumption during exercise is limited by the maximum rate at which the liver can release glucose into the bloodstreamâ€”about one gram per minute.
4) Whatâ€™s the best way to get proteins and amino acids immediately before and especially during exercise? As with carbohydrates, the best way to get proteins and amino acids at these times is in a low-concentration liquid solution, because drinking is a lot easier than eating during exercise and because the amino aids and proteins will reach your bloodstream much faster when consumed in a drink.
5) immediate post-workout protein consumption results in rapid repair and rebuilding of muscle tissue damaged or broken down during the workout, reduced muscle soreness and improved muscle function during the recovery period, and much faster and more complete muscle tissue repair and rebuilding than consumption of an equal amount of protein beginning two hours or more after exercise. Still other studies have shown that when carbohydrate and protein are consumed together after a workout, carbohydrate enhances the benefits of protein and protein enhances the benefits of carbohydrate.
6) Carbohydrate-protein drink improves time to exhaustion after recovery from endurance exercise.
7) Taking protien and carbs after workout allowed subjects in a study to exercise 47 percent longer on average in a ride to exhaustion the day after they received the energy drink post-exercise. This result proves that immediate post-workout energy consumption is critical for accelerating recovery, maintaining energy balance and preparing an athleteâ€™s body for the next workout.
8) long-term health effects of regular post-exercise protein and carbohydrate consumption. ....athletes in heavy training will maintain a higher level of health and performance if they consume a protein liquid supplement (with carbohydrate) immediately following each workout.