Wheel Rant

This topic contains 16 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of admin admin 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Styil
    Participant

Ordered S-80s a month ago, just found out today that they’re still TWO MONTHS from getting here. Really? I ordered the damn things in APRIL expecting to be able to race Silicon Valley Tri in them.. well that’s not happening. As it stands now they will literally be here the day before Vineman. Anyone raced on an entirely untested wheelset? How terrible an idea is it? If I hadn’t already paid I’d just can them and find something else, maybe even really take the plunge and get 808′s. But of course I’ve already paid. I find myself groaning a lot these days when I think about it.

bir171
    Participant

That’s a bummer. I’d look into maybe renting wheels for race day, if nothing else. Good luck.

wolverine70pt3
    Participant

That’s a bummer! But, I ride an S-60/S-80 pair and love them! I think you will too. I hope they come in early! Good luck!

mwanosik
    Participant

Bummer. I was thinking rent wheels as well. I rented 404/808 from raceday wheels.com for IMCDA in June. Anyone have any experience with racedaywheels. The price was right (now maybe my kids can still go to college). Good Luck!

tri-ac
    Participant

i had a good experience with racedaywheels
    i’d recommend them

Amphibious Triton
    Participant

Not much difference in renting wheels and racing on 2-3 day old purchased wheels IMO. If you know they’ll be here, wait on them and race on them.

wolverine70pt3
    Participant

Bring your LBS donuts or fries when you bring you wheelset in to get your cassette installed and tuned ;) Hopefully a quick turn around by the tech guys.

dkhartung
    Participant

Interesting,
    Issue: “[wheels] will literally be here the day before Vineman”
    Question: “Anyone raced on an entirely untested wheelset?”
    Answer: Rent some wheels

I guess with rentals you’d have a few days to get used to them, but it just sounded funny.
    It’s just a wheelset, not like you have a new bike showing up. You’re going to have a new shiny pair and NOT ride them? I’d slap on a cassette, have a wrench do any necessary adjustments, and take it out and ride the run course before the race use your new wheels.

bir171
    Participant

Um, dkhartung, my particular response was directed to the poster’s concern that he wouldn’t have race wheels for Silicon Valley and Vineman, as opposed to his second concern about riding on untested wheels, for which I think he’ll be fine. No need to nitpick a fellow poster only trying to be helpful and encouraging.

Styil
    Participant

Yeah.. thanks for all the advice. I’m gonna just hang tight and wait it out I guess.. just really annoyed

TriSooner
    Participant
    Styil wrote:
    I ordered the damn things in APRIL expecting to be able to race Silicon Valley Tri in them.. well that’s not happening.

There’s only one retailer that sells these wheels? It seems they didn’t tell you prior that they are back-ordered. I wouldn’t wait two months for wheels. Can’t you cancel your order and get your money back?

admin
    Keymaster
    TriSooner wrote:
    Styil wrote:
    I ordered the damn things in APRIL expecting to be able to race Silicon Valley Tri in them.. well that’s not happening.

There’s only one retailer that sells these wheels? It seems they didn’t tell you prior that they are back-ordered. I wouldn’t wait two months for wheels. Can’t you cancel your order and get your money back?

TOTALLY CONCUR!!!

I’d make an issue of this B.S. and say “We’ll have to apply said paid funds towards an option B race wheel set-up now as I’m racing not investing in race wheel futures…”

I ride Reynolds 66 strike carbon clinchers…Have over 6K training/race miles on a pair of 66 Strike Wheelset and I’m 195 to 180, FOP bike split but I do have skills and don’t land them in craters (Potholes)

Reynolds have been good to me. They make a 46/66 carbon clincher set now (My next trainer set) and coupled with a carbon clincher disc and I should have an ideal quiver of wheels for trainer/race day IMO.

Disc/66 front when wind permits and 46/66 rear (2X 66 rears actually in the quiver) for windy days.

@ Styil…Sorry to hear it though, you’re righteous bro and LBS shouldn’t be putting you thru this kinda drama!

CreamedCorn
    Participant

This seems like BullSht to me. You should be able to cancel your order if they didn’t notify you ahead of time of the substantial wait for your product. I’ve cancelled an order with an online retailer because of back order before. You’re the customer. If they can’t give you what you want you have a right to go elsewhere. Also explain your circumstances and they should be understanding if it’s your LBS.

Front wheel clincher only in black
    http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=33567

Rear wheel clincher in black
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sram-s80-clincher-rear-road-bike-wheel/

Both have free shipping.

TriSooner
    Participant
    JfromJacksonHole wrote:
    TOTALLY CONCUR!!!

Maybe I over-analyze things, but you (OP) have given the retailer an interest-free loan of what, $1,400 bucks? I’m sure you’re a big baller ;) and paid cash, but let’s say you charged it at 18% APR and it sits on your CC for three months . . . so you accrued an additional $60 in interest sans wheels. That’s what would piss me off: Loan them $1,400 bucks they can conceivably use to pay down their interest-bearing debt load while you accrue interest (if you charged them) on the purchase. Gotta think about these things. Get your money back and buy only if in-stock.

Styil
    Participant

When I ordered I had no idea that it was going to be this long of a wait. They said normal is a few weeks for processing and shipping, fine. I’d even accept six weeks. I put a call in today to the shop and am waiting for a call back from them to get this canceled. After yet another nights careful contemplation (outloud bitching to my wife) I have decided (been ordered) to cancel the order and get something else before I lose my mind (she loses her mind and goes crazy and all American Psycho on me). I charged them.. but they money was there to pay them off.. woo flight points card. Anyway.. going to look into getting them somewhere else (thanks CreamedCorn) or maybe go with an entirely different set. I have friends at Profile Design, anyone know anything about the Altair 80′s?.. other than they’re really new? I’ve only ever seen them on one bike at a race, and never saw them finish to ask him about them. Anyhow, stay tuned. Thanks for letting me whine.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

The forum ‘Triathlon Gear’ is closed to new topics and replies.