What is needed for a triathlon (all gear, from the obvious to the not so obvious)

Pin it

Home Triathlon Forum Basic/Newbie Forum What is needed for a triathlon (all gear, from the obvious to the not so obvious)

This topic contains 25 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of theleftmike theleftmike 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    theleftmike
    Participant

Hello, I’m new to the triathlon world but I’m really serious about becoming a triathlete.

I’m currently running 15mi in 72mins. I only have ridden a stationary bike but I did 22mi in 61min. And my swim is horrible but I did 4x200yds w/ 100yd rest avaraging 2:15 per 200yd. I dont know if thats fast or not, I have never swam competitivly before but I totalled 17min 42secs for all four 2 hundreds.

I also dont understand the importance of candance or how to get it. I googled it and from what I read its basically RPMs. On the stationary bike I try to stay around 95 no matter the level of the bike.

But my main issue is as the subject states, what gear is needed? No matter the importance, from the obvious things (i.e. a bike, swim suit, and running shoes) to the small things (i.e. a bookbag, transition mat, or a swim cap)

Im competing in a road race in Feb 27th and I cant have aerobars and I was looking at the Felt Z100 and Felt F95. I dont want to buy anything really expensive until I have a good grasp on triathlon scene.

Im about
    5’11” 165lbs (avg)
    10.3% Body Fat
    Dont know if it matters but Im a black male relatively alot of lean muscle mass
    My occupation is the marine corp

TonisTri
    Participant

Hey Mike, welcome to Trifuel. Read this: http://www.trifuel.com/training/race-day-prep/triathlon-transition-setup-and-checklist

then feel free to ask any follow-up questions.

theleftmike
    Participant

thank you

TheTriGeek
    Participant

I used their transition setup last year for my first sprint tri and everything went over well. one thing I have to suggest is to try the setup, and find your own way of doing things. For example some guys need to wear tops, and some dont.. Some women need more supportive sports bras then others.

SueR
    Participant

It wouldn’t hurt to set yourself up with a “mini-tri” for training too. Use the set up and actually do one using it without the pressure of competition. It will show you what you personally need and don’t need (no need for too much clutter). Good luck and welcome aboard!

trekrider
    Participant

if your running splits are true, i would skip tri’s and run marathons or half marathons competitively. ur running at about a 4:48 pace which would get u on the podium in a lot of local events

paganopj
    Participant
    trekrider wrote:
    if your running splits are true, i would skip tri’s and run marathons or half marathons competitively. ur running at about a 4:48 pace which would get u on the podium in a lot of local events

Yeah, that’s screamin’ fast……..that time would have won the last two half mary’s I ran in.

banana hammock
    Participant

By the looks of your stats and occupation, I would concentrate on the swim a little more and apply for BUD/S training. The SEAL teams are looking for people like you.

Brianwake
    Participant

One of the things I like to bring for races is a little something special for myself for the finish. I usually bring a fancy chocolate bar to eat after the race as a reward.

Brianwake
    Participant

Also, if you are swimming 200s at a consistent 2:15, that is really good, especially for a non-swimmer.

Wetsuit Rental
    Participant

If you haven’t already, try using a wetsuit for your tri swims. Most pro’s use them, and they’ll help your swim times by adding floatation, warmth and speed.

theleftmike
    Participant

I know I’m a good runner, but I’m always up for a challenge which is why i grew a interest in triathlons. Does a it matter if I get a swimsuit, wetsuit, or a tri-suit? Does the suit improve your swim that much? But to everyone thanks for your input, I get on as much as the corp allows me.

I usually run in asics, but I kept reading around and alot of people are talking about newtons? Does anyone have any insight on them? I haven’t heard of any other type of shoes besides the obvious ones.

Is it also cheaper to build your own bike or just buy one built already? I don’t have much knowledge on biking but I’m sure I can read up on it on the internet.

trekrider
    Participant

i would get a wet suit for sure if the race will allow it (water temp has to be under a certain temp). it will improve you swim incredible for beginners and people with a bad kick. Ur much more streamline and aqua dynamic, plus more buoyant. Tri suits are nice if you dont want to change at all during a transition, or just like the durability and comfort of them.

As for newtons, i have never wore them, but asics are a good shoe, if you havent had problems with them in the past i would continue to use them. Its more about the feel and fit to your foot than it is the name of the brand.

As for the bike. If you can build it urself so ur not paying for any labor charges, and u shop around on ebay, you probably will be able to buy it cheaper. Most people that build their bikes do it so their bike can be custome. Example. carbon fork, seat post, front rear dearilure, tires, wheels might all be different companies. If you look into buying a bike now, most tri and bike shops are getting rid of their 09′ and have good deals on them. Otherwise, buying a used servicable bike will get u in the right direction. I am starting out on a Trek 1200 with shimano 105′s and it has gotten me through sprints and into a century.

TonisTri
    Participant
    theleftmike wrote:
    I usually run in asics, but I kept reading around and alot of people are talking about newtons? Does anyone have any insight on them? I haven’t heard of any other type of shoes besides the obvious ones.

Dude, if you are as fast as you claim to be, you could run in ballet slippers and still crush your competition. Newtons are expensive. Don’t waste your money.

Warrior
    Participant
    TonisTri wrote:
    theleftmike wrote:

Dude, if you are as fast as you claim to be, you could run in ballet slippers and still crush your competition. Newtons are expensive. Don’t waste your money.

+1 run with what you are comfortable in.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.