What is my bike worth?

Home Triathlon Forum Triathlon Discussions What is my bike worth?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of krazyfranco krazyfranco 6 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    krazyfranco
    Participant

Anyone know how much a Calfee Tetra-Tri (2001) would be worth with Mavic Open 4CD/Omega Wheels, 105 components (with ultegra rear derailleur), Syntace aero bars? I bought it used last summer and don’t have a ton of bike knowledge.

Triguy98
    Participant

Dude, that’s a cool bike! More of an ITU draft legal bike, but very awesome. As for its value, I would guess between $800 and $1500 depending on it’s condition. A broad range, yes, but Calfee makes some awesome stuff, and if it’s in great shape, it should hold its value pretty well. The frames also have 25 year warranties. Shows you how much he stands behind his product.

ChunkyB
    Participant

I’d say it’s closer to $800 than $1500. Even if it is a great bike, it’s 7 years old, and it is only 105 (with ultegra RD). BTW, how much did you buy it for? If you bought it for a decent price (not some kind of killer deal from a friend or gift or something) that will give you a good idea of what it’s worth.

Also, 25 year frame warranties aren’t all that rare. Many big companies give lifetime frame warranties.

If you’re going to sell it, I’d try something like craigslist, and just start it high. If it doesn’t sell, just keep relisting it a little bit lower every time. As with anything else, it’s worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for it.

Triguy98
    Participant
    ChunkyB wrote:
    Also, 25 year frame warranties aren’t all that rare. Many big companies give lifetime frame warranties.

Lifetime warranties are very common for large companies. Calfee, however is not even close to the same league as any of the major bike manufacturers. Even some of them, such as Kestrel, offer shorter warranties.

tsilcyc
    Participant

Isn’t the frame carbon fiber? Calfee has a cult following. I think the range of $800-$1500 is reasonable depending on who the buyer is. Someone who knows the name, $1500, someone who just wants a bike, $800. The only thing I think that’s taking the price down is the components. A new 2005 frameset on Ebay is listed at $1322 buy now. Granted, different year but just the frameset.

Warranties don’t always transfer… does Calfee’s ?

krazyfranco
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback, guys. TriGuy, I got it for 400 last year on Ebay, but I think the frame itself is worth more than that. The auction wasn’t described very well, and I could only tell it was a Calfee from the pictures.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.