What bike to ride on the trainer????????

Home Triathlon Forum Triathlon Discussions What bike to ride on the trainer????????

This topic contains 12 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Socket Socket 5 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Seth131
    Participant

I have recently purchased a computrainer to increase my off season base training. I’m a little concerned about riding my carbon tri bike on the trainer, at this time I’m riding my road bike.

Toothless
    Participant

I ride my Scott Plasma on the trainer without issues. I keep my road bike ready for outside winter rides when the weather cooperates.

CadenceGuy
    Participant

I ride my tri bike, no worries mate

cuds
    Participant

Why are you worried about riding your carbon bike on the trainer? We all do it.

kylie
    Participant

I have also heard the rumors about it being bad for your bike, or voiding the warranty (because the attachment point is not usually a place that has forces on it while the bike is held still). However, one bike shop a year or two ago called a bunch of the main manufacturers and asked them about it, and all said that it was fine to use their carbon bikes on the trainer and that it wouldn’t void the warranty. However, if you are really nervous about that, just call up the company and ask so that you know for sure on your bike.

Gsal
    Participant

I wouldn’t recommend riding a tri bike for aerobic rides solely for training purposes (i personally find its better to do aerobic rides on road bike for comfort). Other than that, you shouldnt really worry about damaging your frame or anything (usually trainers come with a pair of new skewers so your fancy ones don’t get messed up–if it doesnt you can buy one). If your concerned about sweat altering the quality of the carbon, get the cycleops bike thong (what i use) which is meant to prevent sweat from getting onto your frame

jwillia852
    Participant
    Gsal wrote:
    . If your concerned about sweat altering the quality of the carbon, get the cycleops bike thong (what i use) which is meant to prevent sweat from getting onto your frame

That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. I am not sure if any of the manufacturers have any stats to back it up, but I laugh at the mere thought that someone would think the minimal ounces of sweat would break down the structural integrity of carbon fiber… The bike thong, what a concept! haha

If you have any doubt, think of this… The world’s premier auto racing leagues, The US military, and NASA use Carbon Fiber assembled the same way as the bikes we ride, and I know for a fact that they carry no warnings of sweat corrosion… LOL… The bike thong…

Gsal
    Participant

actually, if you sweat alot and it somehow makes its way to the inside of the carbon (through the seatpost usually), it can force the carbon to crack from the inside out.

f1oored
    Participant

If we were talking steel frames I might buy this idea (if the paint was bad and you never washed your bike). I can’t imagine that sweat would be any different, as far as it’s effect on the carbon, than water and people ride these bikes in the rain without concern. If the sweat is going to hurt anything, it’s not going to be the carbon.

If you want to keep sweat off your bike, fine. If you don’t care if your bike is covered with the stuff after each ride, that is also probably fine.

I would like you to find one single documented case where sweat has damaged a carbon fiber bike. Find me just one and I’ll order my bike thong tomorrow.

jwillia852
    Participant
    Gsal wrote:
    actually, if you sweat alot and it somehow makes its way to the inside of the carbon (through the seatpost usually), it can force the carbon to crack from the inside out.

Still laughing… Gotta call BS on this one.. Not happening

IF and only if sweat could corrode carbon fiber (which it cant) Do you know how much you would have to sweat, and then how much of that sweat would have to make its way down the seat post, and past the drain things, to make this idea even remotely plausible?

I say we can leave things at someone has successfully marketed a bike thong… cheers to that! :)

kylie
    Participant

I believe the actual issue with sweating a ton on a trainer is that you don’t have the same airflow over yourself and the bike. So there is more sweat dripping straight onto the bike and its components. It can get in the headset, bottom bracket, hubs, etc — and cause issues with the areas with bearings or metal. It can make your bike need more maintenance to replace those sooner — it’s not an effect on the carbon itself.

J.Michael
    Participant

I’ve heard rumors about sweat and carbon bikes, but I think I’ll have to chalk them up as urban legend.

I live in Daytona Beach, beachside, less than 100 ft from the ocean. I ride primarily no more than 3 miles from the ocean or intercoastal. I’ve put so many miles on my P2C this year where “I” came back covered in salt brine and my bike is fine. I find it hard to believe any of you can sweat more salt than the ocean has deposited on both me and the bike during a century.

Some days when I get back, you can see the crystals on the bike. (I’ve actually licked my bike to make sure….but I mean it’s a P2C do I really need a reason?)

So, I too call overreaction. Plus the last sail boat I was on had a carbon fiber mast……Talk about salt intrusion. This was a $500k+ racing vessel, so I think if there were any way that salt could cause the carbon to crack/delaminate, the manufacturers would use some other high tech alloy or polymer.

Just my $.02

Socket
    Participant
    Quote:
    (I’ve actually licked my bike to make sure….but I mean it’s a P2C do I really need a reason?)

_milklaugh__by_darkmoon3636.gif

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.