What muscle groups should I be focusing on to improve my swimming strength?
Check out Triathlete magazine this month.
There was a good article in the July 2008 Triathlete Mag (pg 164). The exercises focus on the shoulders, tris and upper back.
1. Standing Lat Pull Down (3 sets of 8 reps)
2. Kneeling Cable pull down (3 sets of 12-15 reps)
3. Rotator Cuff Cable Pull (2 sets of 20 reps)
4. Short Range One arm tricep Extension (2 sets of 20 reps)
5. Overhead Medicine Ball Toss (5 sets. 1 min of back and forth with 45 sec rest between sets)
This isn’t really weight training, but strength training nonetheless.
In addition to the above, I use this exercise (either with a weights machine or with a resistance band) for the catch and initial part of the pull.
Gotta love the pull ups. Underhand, overhand, close grip, wide grip…with extra weight, without…
“If you ain’t pullin’ yer just foolin’”
pullups and pushups with various hand positions.
The forum ‘Swimming’ is closed to new topics and replies.