Turtleman

Pin it

Home Triathlon Forum Race Reports Turtleman

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of laprokop laprokop 6 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    tritoride28
    Participant

The Turtleman is held in Shoreview MN on Turtle Lake and is a 1 mile swim, 21 mile bike and 5 mile run. The couse is almost entirely flat and the wind was almost non-existant on Saturday. The water was also dead calm, but was only a few feet deep all over the course and at some ponts, ok 1 point but it was the same spot on the way out and the way back, you literally had to get up and run because the water was too shallow.

There were 788 participants and 81 teams. I being of the younger generation did not see the water until about an hour after the elite wave went out. Finished the swim in about 26 minutes( 1:36 per 100), followed with a 1:10 T1 and hit the bike. Cool part about T1 and T2, you can ride into and out of the transition area because of the hill leading out of and into the bike corral. I tore up the bike course at 24.4mph and proceeded to a T2 of 0:29 as I was about 40 feet from the timing mat.

The run was excellent, flat and well hydrated. I felt great for the first 3 miles then began to feel the tired seep through my muscles. Only 1 person passed me the whole race, other than the swim, and it was with about 1.5 miles to go. He stayed on my right hand side out of vision for about 2 minutes then decided he could take me. I tried to keep just a few yards behind him and was successful for about a mile, but trailed off. If I had kept his pace(6:13 vs my 6:30), I guess it would have been me on the top of the 20-24 AG podium. I guess i can settle for second… Final time of 1:53:40

trigirltina2
    Participant

You of the younger generation – Great Job! Trailed off. It is your race and you will pass people the next time!

jhudalla
    Participant

Yo, where do you live? I’m in DT minneapolis yo. Do you have a training posse?

tritoride28
    Participant

I have a couple of buddies, but our levels of dedication and strength differ to the point where it makes it difficult for us to really train together on a regular basis. But no posse to speak of no. Why are you interested in training?

jhudalla
    Participant

Yeah, I’d like to have a buddy that was a) consistent and b) could push me. I live between Downtown and uptown and get in 90 minutes everyday during the week and pretty much 3-6hrs a day on the weekends depending on where I’m at in my cycles.

laprokop
    Participant

I guess I ll hi-jack here a little bit and start by saying TriToRide… next time your mine :)

For the first time racing in what appears to be 6 years I have rediscovered my love for triathlons.

I had a great swim of 21:00 or so an ok bike averaging 23 MPH and a terrible run of 35:00 minutes. During the run I think I may have eaten too many of the Gu packets as I ran into stomach problems at mile one. Next time I will stick to just one packet and not three during the race. I was not passed by anyone during the entire tri except for our good friend TriToRide with about 400M to go and the guy that won our age group at about 800M. I am very happy with my time being that I expected to end up going a 1:55 and ended with a final time of 1:56:06 good enough for third. I had a great time and congrats on the second place finish TriToRide!

Back to the training board where I will be signafacantly increasing my workout regiment to one 6 hour day a week to get ready for the 10 hour tri in Superior September 6th.

Luke

tritoride28
    Participant

Ha, well it will have to be next year. I am done racing tri’s for this season, although I might pick up a du and a 10k or two.

Good luck on the Burrito 10 hour, its sounds like a good time. I’ll be at my Bachlor party!!

Oh yeah, and you lost to a Tommie alumni as well. That might give you a little more incentive for next year!

laprokop
    Participant

HAHA! Oh man! If I would have known! :)

I ll be working out double next year to take you down :)

Good race man I ll see you next year at a couple events hopefully!

Have fun at the Bachelor Party!

Luke

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.