Tri Indy Race Report

Pin it

Home Triathlon Forum Race Reports Tri Indy Race Report

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of kylie kylie 4 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    panda
    Participant

I completed my first OLY in 3 years (second ever) this past weekend. The event was held in downtown Indianapolis.

The Swim

We swam in a canal that runs through the downtown area. They started us off in a TT fashion. We walked/ran down a small ramp to catch our start time and then jump/dove to start swimming. I figured this would be very similar to a pool swim as the canal is only 4 feet deep and about 40 feet wide. It was pretty much a straight shot to the transition area 1500 meters away, not an out and back. The comparison to a pool stopped there. I could barely see my hand in front of me as I swam. It was my first open water swim (if you can call it an open water swim) since my first tri so I was a little nervous at first. After about 5 minutes I got into my rhythm and I felt good. Because of the TT start, and the fact that it was a relatively small event, I didn’t have any trouble swimming into anyone. Total time 27:43

T1 – I came out of the water feeling good and ran to my bike and left the rack running. I thought I had a great time (2:19) until I saw everyone else’s results. Oh well.

The Bike:

They changed the course last week due to construction so instead of a 25 mile route it was only 23. (Is there an offical distance that the olympic’s must be?) The roads were THE WORST I have ridden on. Bumps, holes, cracks, rail road tracks, it had it all. I saw no less than a dozen water bottles that had fallen off other bikes. I was so thankful I didn’t get a flat, as my race would have been over. (I still have never changed a flat and didn’t want my first time to be during a race). As you can imagine, its VERY flat terrian in Indiana, so I was surprised that there was a a long downhill section of the course. Keep in mind where my “long downhill” point of view is coming from, so I’m sure it wasn’t that big of a deal, especially since I never really noticed the resulting uphill that usually follows a downhill. Part of the course was next to the Zoo, I thought it was funny when I looked over and saw two elephants walking trunk & tail style from their home to the fields. Unfortunately on a more serious note, I passed a rider that had fallen and was being put on a strecher. It was bad. I later learned that a van had hit him trying to turn into a Burger King. I hope that guy gets sued!! I don’t know what he was thinking, we had an entire lane blocked with cones….I just don’t understand the minds of idiots. Total time 1hr 13 min 12 sec.

T2 – Racked my bike, changed shoes, as well as changed my shirt. I know, I know, I can swim and bike in a tight as hell tri top, but I’m just not as comfortable running with my gut hanging out there. Maybe once I loss 20 lbs I’ll feel better about it. Total time 2:03

The Run

Leaving the bike I felt good. I have done several bike to run bricks in my training so I wasn’t to worried about it. I took the advice I found here and just took out the first mile slow, and picked it up from there once I felt comfortable. It was a two loop course along the river. The sun was behind clouds most of the run, so it didn’t get to hot. Total time 51:19

My overall time was 2hr 36 min 39 seconds. My goal was to go under 2hr 45 min. I figured even if the bike was 25miles instead of 23 I would have beat 2hr45. So I was extremely happy with my result. I was 10 times more prepared for this event than when I did my first one. I beat my time by more than 30 minutes. I don’t think I’ve ever been as faithful with my training than I am right now and it really showed.

It was a great OLY race, but my capstone for this year is in 3 weeks when my wife and I are doing a HIM.

snail_male
    Participant

Well done, Panda! And best wishes for three weeks from now – will we get a joint RR when it’s over?!

kylie
    Participant

Congrats on getting back to the oly distance! Races with spouses are awesome, so have fun at the half!

Oh, and an Olympic distance tri is a very specific distance: 1.5 km swim, 40 km ride, 10 km run. Sprints are the distance that aren’t really set numbers for each leg.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.