St. George Ironman 2012

Home Triathlon Forum Triathlon Discussions St. George Ironman 2012

This topic contains 10 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of trihardutah trihardutah 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    suckafree
    Participant

I’m debating about doing this one. This would be my first ironman….

Thoughts???

warrenp
    Participant

I’m doing this one in 2013 and it will be my 5th after 4 ironman canada.
    I asked a friend who did st george and he said it’s a tough hilly bike course like ironman canada but it’s the run that he found to be the killer. There are hills at the beginning that just seems to go up and up and up some more.

It’s certainly doable but not an easy one at all………not that any of them are easy.
    It’s no wonder why on average the st. george average finishing times are the slowest in all the ironmans.

Quincyceltic
    Participant

I wouldn’t do it for the simple fact that it is too hard. The only way I would do it is if they made the bike and run course much flatter and moved the swim to a pool so we could hang on to the sides. This is sarcasm of course so here is my real though.

When I look at a Ironman I don’t even think about the course until I am all signed up and then I tailor my training to fit the course profile. 140.6 is the same distance at all the races and what makes them easy or hard is you and the work you put in. Boston Marathon is a net down hill course so someone who did not know better would say it is “easier” than other marathons. Not so fast my friend. Bottomline for me is pick a good location, I did LP this year for my first due to how close I live to it and now I am gearing up for Cozumel so my wife can enjoy a nice location. If you want to do ST George do it because it is suppossed to be really scenic, fairly easy to get to (90 mins from Vegas) and hotels in the area are cheap. Then go out, train your ass off and suffer like everyone else. Enjoy

TriSooner
    Participant
    Quincyceltic wrote:
    I wouldn’t do it for the simple fact that it is too hard. The only way I would do it is if they made the bike and run course much flatter and moved the swim to a pool so we could hang on to the sides. This is sarcasm of course so here is my real though.

OMG I thought you were serious. I’m interested in St. George because it is “harder” than any of the others. “Harder” being operationalized by 1) [url=-http://www.runtri.com/2010/07/runtri-benchmarks-easiest-ironman.html]having the slowest average finish time (by more than 1 hr); 2) the only double-digit DNF rate[/url]; and 3) it never fills up (or at least stays open for months) which is a tacit endorsement of “Nah, I’ll do an easy one instead.” You can define “hard” any way you like, so a hard race to you may be different than what’s hard to me (ie, all of them). Mad respect for anyone who signs up for St. George.

vjohnson
    Participant

I wouldn’t limit my choice of doing/not doing a IM based on the course. If you know what you are capable of on race day, and pace yourself properly to race 140.6 miles, and respect the demands of the course, then it shouldn’t matter the profile. When I’m done with a IM prep, I know I can ride at 2xx watts, and run a 7xx pace. I will ride at 2xx watts going up hill/downhill and on flats, and I will run sub 7xx pace for the first 1/2 and probably over 7xx pace for the second.

2xx watts on the FL course, and 2xx watts on the St.G course will look very different on the split sheet, but it is still what “I” am capable of. The course is the same for everyone, if you need to have a certain “time” to feel good about your performance, then don’t do St.G. Go to FL, and brag about your fast IM time for your first. But if you want a true badge of honor for your first, might as well loose your virginity the right way, sign up, and be a stud.

pstew85
    Participant

I did St. George this past May. I would totally recommend it if you have the ability/motivation to train through some of the colder months. Cool town and a beautiful course. And when you do IM #2 you are most likely going to PR!

dkhartung
    Participant
    vjohnson wrote:
    if you need to have a certain “time” to feel good about your performance, then don’t do St.G. Go to FL, and brag about your fast IM time for your first. But if you want a true badge of honor for your first, might as well loose your virginity the right way, sign up, and be a stud.

I just blew coffee out my nose…

paganopj
    Participant

IMSG is on my short list. The venue has got to be fantastic. I love hills…looking at them, anyway!

chekmarks
    Participant

I looked at this race…run course looks contrived and awful.

http://c28157.r57.cf1.rackcdn.com/2010/09/st-g.jpg

out-back, run to the next street, out-back, run the next street….

TryScott
    Participant

If someone doesn’t think they can finish IMSG because the hills, or the weather isn’t ideal, they really shouldn’t be doing an IM at all. Yes, the course is slower, but anyone that knows if a time is fast or slow, will also know that St George is slower than other other courses. Have fun.

trihardutah
    Participant

Need a place to stay in St. George for the Tri besides a hotel. Any suggestions? Has anyone stayed at St. George Condo Rentals ? I guess they have full kitchens, enough room for bikes, and a good exercise room.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.