Snorkel Legal?

Pin it

Home Triathlon Forum Triathlon Discussions Snorkel Legal?

This topic contains 15 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of dkhartung dkhartung 3 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Elise
    Participant

So Sunday I volunteered at IMAZ since my husband was racing. (I haven’t made the leap from 70.3 to 140.6, maybe I never will._ Anyways, I was volunteering on the kayak crew. While in the water, a racer shouted at my friend (also in a kayak) that another racer was using a snorkel. Sure enough, the guy had a snorkel on his head. My friend rowed over to a boat and was told that unfortunately, snorkels are legal. This sounds ridiculous! I remembered the number of the racer, looked him up, and he had a great swim and total time. Turns out he is a race event bigwig too. Should he have been DQ’ed?

jarhead
    Participant

No… Per USAT rules snorkels are legal. As long as it does not provide a propulsion it is legal. Snorkels are also at RD discretion so it is not universal at every venue. I’m doing Cozumel this weekend and snorkels are not allowed. What a shame! With 100% visibility underwater it would be pretty cool to look at the ocean floor for an hour straight…. Ahhhh I digress….

jarhead
    Participant

Come to think of it. I don’t know what is worse. Using a snorkel, or another athlete whinning about during the swim so much that they would go out of their way to tell a volunteer.

To each their own I guess….

ChunkyB
    Participant

Without fins, a snorkel actually doesn’t help that much. Try to swim freestyle with a snorkel and you’ll see what I mean. It mostly just gets in the way.

Also, you still have to look up to see the buoys, and you can actually take water on when you do this if you’re not careful.

I’ll admit it kind of feels like cheating, but it doesn’t really offer any tangible advantage. If it did, everyone would be using them.

hamlet_cat
    Participant

This is a bit of a thread jack. But are the snorkels used for “snorkeling” different than snorkels that swimmers use in a training exercise?

jasond
    Participant

Yea they are rather different. Check out this link, I see a lot of non TRI swimmers using them to train in the pool but I have yet to see one in a race.

http://www.gizmag.com/go/6131/

katarddx
    Participant
    ChunkyB wrote:
    Without fins, a snorkel actually doesn’t help that much. Try to swim freestyle with a snorkel and you’ll see what I mean. It mostly just gets in the way.

have to disagre on this one… ever tried one of those snorkels for swimming training that goes right in the middle of your face and and forhead? i think it’s huge advantage for a swimmer. but that is just my .0 cents

TriSooner
    Participant

snorkel_technology_3.jpg

3523.jpg

They’re legal. They provide neither propulsion nor are they flotation devices. It’s funny: People freak out about a snorkel, but disc wheels, aero bars, aero helmets, ceramic bearings, internally-routed cable housing, cut-out seat stays, shoe covers, airfoil-shaped down tubes and fairing-shaped head tubes, compression socks, titanium rail+carbon shell seats, compression shorts and socks, aero bottles and cages, carbon fiber-soled shoes – these are fine because “making you faster” on the bike is OK (ie, it’s OK to buy speed on the bike, but not the swim).

ChunkyB
    Participant
    katarddx wrote:
    ChunkyB wrote:

have to disagre on this one… ever tried one of those snorkels for swimming training that goes right in the middle of your face and and forhead? i think it’s huge advantage for a swimmer. but that is just my .0 cents

Hah. I had never seen that.

I still say, if it’s such a huge advantage, and it’s legal, why isn’t everyone doing it?

calilargeguy
    Participant

Everyone isn’t doing it because we look like dorks enough in our full spandex kit with matching bikes. ;) I can’t see where it would be an advantage in certain situations, ie low visibility water. Never tried one but would like to just to see what it’s like.

hamlet_cat
    Participant

In my limited experience, and based on the picture trisooner provided, the only advantage would be not having to lift your head to the side to breathe, which slows you down. The less you have to breathe, generally, the more smooth your propulsion forward. My guess, is in endurance swimming people generally can’t put in 7 strokes before they have to take a breathe, that’s why people don’t do it. Its easier if you don’t kick your legs, but it is hard to say if that would even be an efficient way to swim. The problem I would see with a snorkel, is that if you aren’t swimming in a pack, it might be awkward having to sight for the buoys. I have never swam with that type of snorkel, but I do know I am much faster when I breathe every four strokes than every other stroke. The problem is that I can’t keep that up for more than one length of the pool.

paganopj
    Participant
    hamlet_cat wrote:
    My guess, is in endurance swimming people generally can’t put in 7 strokes before they have to take a breathe, that’s why people don’t do it.

Your guess is probably right on. The majority of triathlon swimmers are probably breathing every other stroke and only do less during training to help with building endurance. I have watched some pros (and not just tri pros) who breathe every other stroke–those that don’t, bilaterally breathe every 3rd stroke. I don’t know of anyone in a race that breathes less than every 3rd stroke–someone will probably chime in and say they do, though. In a race situation, most people would suffer from hypoxia if they tried to go too many stokes before getting air.

On the snorkel– it’s an interesting issue. I think it would hamper my swim until I got used to it because I rotate a lot when I swim. I guess you learn to keep your neck and head down with the snorkel. I let my neck and head roll with the entire body since I breathe every other stroke.

Silverbursted
    Participant
    TriSooner wrote:
    snorkel_technology_3.jpg

3523.jpg

My god, as if we didn’t look ridiculous enough.

Dingo511
    Participant

So I am very new to the tri. Swimming is my worst event and I am currently getting individual coaching from a full time coach/competitor. Last night at the pool the subject of the forward snorkel came up. Coach informed me that they are legal, thus my search and finding of this thread. His take on the snorkel is that they may pick up for the folks that are not looking to finish at the top and have the goal of finishing a tri. Coach pointed out (and from an engineering perspective makes a lot of sense) that the professionals will never use a snorkel because a very efficient swimmer can get more air in a head turn that can be achieved by the barrel restriction of a snorkel (hmmm maybe they won’t ban snorkels but regulate barrel diameter). Also said he did not think they would ban because the guys/gals in this professionally (read $$) will not complain as those using the snorkel are not their competitors.

Great Greyhound
    Participant

There may be hope for this non-swimmer after all!

Not that I’d buy one of these, but who knows?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.