Running Shoes without Socks

Home Triathlon Forum Archived Discussions Triathlon Gear Running Shoes without Socks

This topic contains 16 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of TonisTri TonisTri 5 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    mklein
    Participant

I’m trying to knock time off of my transitions. Starting to shop for running shoes that are good to use without socks. Any suggestions about brands/models as well as techniques for avoiding blisters in both my bike and running shoes? Any help is appreciated!

Joe_H
    Participant

how long of a race are talking about here? wouldn’t recommend this for a half or full IM but for sprint or oly it should be ok if you do in practice and toughen your toes up. but some shoes just aren’t made for barefoot running as the blood stains on mizuno’s can verify. think zoot running shoes (possibly available at your local Marshall’s) are supposedly tri running shoes and might be worth looking at.

heard some folks put talcum (baby) powder in their bike shoes to help their feet dry guess that could helps but besides that maybe bodyglide/vaseline for lube up your toes

PJT
    Participant

Funny you should mention Mizuno’s. I got a pair of Wave Elixer’s this year for 5ks and such. Great fitting shoe, but the first time I tried running in them sockless I had 3 pretty painful blisters within about 2 miles. The hot spots turned out to be where the Mizuno logo is stiched onto the instep. I covered the inside seams of that logo with smooth duct tape, added vaseline over the top of the tape, and have done about 4 runs in them blister-free. However, this seems far from optimal (tape can come loose, etc.). Next time, I’m planning to take a look at Zoot’s.

CadenceGuy
    Participant

Ive tried the Mizuno ‘Blood Run’ also. Not to knock Mizunos but for my foot they are torture without socks. Ive had Zoot shoes and those are designed to be worn without socks, although Ive never ran more then 9 miles in them so I cant speak for 1/2 and full marathon distance running. Im in Newtons now and can handle 10k’s in those just fine but feel that anything longer without socks is going to cause a blister.

brittda
    Participant

Can I just be stupid here and ask why the heck you wouldnt take 2 seconds to put socks on for a 1/2 or full? I can see it in a sprint–5k isn’t going to be a big deal. But, why not make yourself comfortable?

Yes I always wear socks :) even in my limited (3) sprint races.

PJT
    Participant

Britt,

Agreed. For me, sockless is probably only going to be a Sprint/Oly thing. The risk of blistering on the run just seems too high after a certain number of miles, and blisters slow me down way more than the time it would take to throw on some socks in transition.

SueR
    Participant

I start doing one run a week barefoot once it warms up and only do my oly and sprint races barefoot. That being said if my feet get dirty in transition, I throw on socks. I always keep them in transition just in case my feet need them.

mklein
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback thus far. Yes, for all who asked, I am speaking specifically for sprints & olympics. 70.3 and longer I would certainly take the time to put on socks.

brittda — the reason I wouldn’t take “2 seconds” to put on socks is because it’s realistically more like 45 seconds when your feet are wet from the swim, and could mean several overall places as well as placing at the top of your age group, which is what happened to me on Sunday in the sprint. Had a not thrown on socks I would’ve cut enough time out to have won my AG. (and I really wanted that free gallon of Heed formula!).

brittda
    Participant
    mklein wrote:
    Thanks for the feedback thus far. Yes, for all who asked, I am speaking specifically for sprints & olympics. 70.3 and longer I would certainly take the time to put on socks.

brittda — the reason I wouldn’t take “2 seconds” to put on socks is because it’s realistically more like 45 seconds when your feet are wet from the swim, and could mean several overall places as well as placing at the top of your age group, which is what happened to me on Sunday in the sprint. Had a not thrown on socks I would’ve cut enough time out to have won my AG. (and I really wanted that free gallon of Heed formula!).

I think you misunderstood—I said for a 1/2 or full. And, I also said I could understand for a sprint since you originally didn’t indicate a length :)
    I am also not placing, especially in a sprint so would opt for socks regardless since the run is where I get killed in a sprint. I am all for comfort, I guess I am getting old.

That said, I only take about 10 for socks –if you roll the top down and just slide your toes into the peds they really do only take a couple of seconds. So I did exagerate a little, but only about 3 seconds per foot. :)

j.qualle
    Participant

Zoot ultra race 2.0, I have gone sockless with no problems. Even did a 1/2 marathon a few weeks ago no socks and no problem. Wife does make me leave them in the garage.

cjhoffmn
    Participant

I haven’t found ones that work for me yet, but i can say that ASICS KAYANOS blistered my feet up nicely on 6 miler without socks recently. Was from the stripes running up the arch of both my feet. I like them overall, but not for sockless running.

kylie
    Participant

The zoots just don’t work for me (at least in the runs I’ve tried them for I ended up blistered). But I can run forever in my Brooks Axiom without socks!

KitKat
    Participant

I think the answer here is “different strokes for different folks”.

cjhoffmn
    Participant

+ 1 to KitKat

brian669
    Participant

i used brooks beasts exclusively until recently and i would run 10+ miles with no issues, but i also used to run 10+ miles in bates combat boots so….

and i also keep mine in the garage! sometimes in the shed! man do my feet STINK when i don’t wear socks!!!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

The forum ‘Triathlon Gear’ is closed to new topics and replies.