pool swim triathlons

Pin it

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of jsk85 jsk85 6 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Tri4thlete
    Participant

So i’m doing an olympic triathlon in april, everything is outside except for the swim which is in a pool! I’ve never done an indoor pool triathlon swim before so how exactly do these work with all the people?

kylie
    Participant

Depends on the race, some do waves by speed, some do lanes by speed and you circle swim. Some do the pool part last so that people are spread out. Perhaps the race website has a bit more info about it?

Tri4thlete
    Participant

well this one is lanes by speed and it really doesnt give any more info except for that :(

NotAsFast
    Participant

Usually pool swims are done by seeding the competitor with a supplied seed time which s usally your 100yd pace over the distance. Then each competitor is send off in that seed order in a specific time interval, usually about 5 seconds with a break every 20-40 starters to spread out the field. I have done sprints in a pool up to 500 yds but an olympic distance is approx 72 lengths, so unless it is a big pool there is going to be major congestion in this race. I could be wrong, but a standard olympic pool can only be broken up into 20 lanes accross the pool (25 yds) so you will have to do approx 3.6 circuits of the pool in that configuration. The other possibility is that there will be a small number of competitors, which could put you on the podium.

jsk85
    Participant

Wow, I’ve done my share of pool swim tris (they seem to be more common for sprints in this area) and I cannot imagine an Olympic swim in a pool. The longest I’ve done is 800m. All the ones I’ve done are like this: you estimate your time to cover the distance and people are ordered fastest to slowest (and people lie and say they are faster than they are). They start 1 person every 15 sec usually. You swim starting on the end lane at one end, do a lap in that lane duck under the lane line and repeat in the next. Then you continue snaking your way from 1 end of the pool to the other passing all the liars who just want better position going into the bike.

I have seen 1 race where you were split into groups and stayed in the same lane circle swimming, which would probably be necessary for an olympic swim. However, I like the snake swims b/c I don’t have to worry about counting laps…I think I’d lose track of my progress on that long of a circle swim in a race environment.

Also, be careful when passing (on the left b/c someone coming the other direction may be doing the same. Pool lanes aren’t made for 4 person wide swimming. I got a 1 min penalty for a headon collision this way in my first ever tri)

TriSooner
    Participant

Olympic swim in a pool? That is going to S-U-C-K. Not the distance. Racing – in a pool – nearly a mile with X-number of other people. Suck so bad I would re-consider.

max ping
    Participant

i just did a sprint this past sunday in a pool, only 400m. My GOD it was rough. some people slow, some fast. some stopping at the walls, some not. crossing under the ropes. the 400, may as well have been 4,000. glad i did it mind you but the swim was definitely challenging.
    i recommend getting in the most crowded situation you can in practice so get a feel for how its gonna be.

jsk85
    Participant
    max ping wrote:
    i recommend getting in the most crowded situation you can in practice so get a feel for how its gonna be.

I believe that would be an open water swim start at any tri with OWS, lol. I’ve done a few of each type of swim, and the crowded factor was always far worse in open water since everyone starts at once. There also isn’t the cut-throat factor of pulling on people and what not in the pool swim (mostly because spectators CAN actually see what you’re doing).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The forum ‘Swimming’ is closed to new topics and replies.