Off season blues

Pin it

Home Triathlon Forum Triathlon Discussions Off season blues

This topic contains 9 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of brittda brittda 5 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Carlos Mx
    Participant

After my HIM a month ago and a hard century ride last Sunday, I am feeling tired and overtrained, so I’ve taken the weekend off. Actually I did not swim at all during the week and I skipped my long run and will skip my long ride as well. I feel as if I’ve gained 10 pounds in the last few days and haven’t had the courage to step on the scale to find out the truth.

Today, Trifuel has been quieter than usual on weekends, so I have been reading old discussions and product reviews. I’m also daydreaming about my new bicycle, which I will buy if I get a decent bonus at work, something that seems more difficult every day.

I think I need to find a short term goal, or I will go crazy or alcoholic. (lol) Don’t get me wrong: I love training, but I doesn’t make any sense to me if it does not involve a countdown to a race. Maybe I should take yoga, do some kind of cross training, maybe Sumo wrestling (the extra pounds will help) or archery for a while.

Yes, at last I get to the point, after a too long post: What the %&$#¡ do you do until you start training for your next season? All your ideas are welcome.

macker
    Participant

I posted recently about post-im depression, so I think we are in the same boat. Because we are typically Type A, OCD, it is hard not to have a serious focus. But I am trying to just enjoy a random workout, knowing my body needs some downtime if I am to come out next year in good shape mentally and physically..with that said, I am on beer 5 right now…:-)..Enjoy the off-season and see if you (and I) can enjoy the workouts for the simplicity of working out.

Ironmom
    Participant

I like to use the off-season to enjoy sports and activities I don’t get to do in the tri season. Winter sports are great – snowboarding, snowshoeing, X-country skiing (which is awesome for cross-training). Also some fun indoor sports that I love like volleyball and martial arts. I back down my run and bike workouts to a base level, but ramp up my swimming a bit more than I get to in the tri season and do more workouts with the Master’s swim group. I also use the “off” season to do a lot of technique work in all three sports.

gfd
    Participant

Last year BBB came up with a run every day for a month thread. It was a great idea. I think doing the same with biking will be a goal of mine for Dec. and Jan. 60 days straight of 15 miles or more.

The off-season is a great time to work on the areas that need improvement. Form goals around improving times or distances.
    Look for a spring marathon or half marathon and train through the winter for it.
    The off-season is also a great time to strenghthen your body for the next tri-season.

I have been training consistently since last spring. My marathon is 3 days before Thanksgiving. I am looking forward to indulging in some of those beers.

lala2021
    Participant

I always run a marathon right after tri season is over which i did yest. I have decided not to
    get the blues this year so i will train for a new years 1/2 and Myrtle beach marathon in feb. I
    get that way about my weight if i even take one day off for rest! I also get bitchy if i dont get
    that high! So try and find a road race it will keep you sain. Good luck.:)

nanhosen
    Participant

I don’t know where you live, but if it’s in you area, you should check out Bikram yoga. It’s SO different from any other class I’ve been to. The room is heated to around 105 degrees, with about 50% humidity. It’s 1.5 hours long, and kicks your butt!! It’s a great workout, and really improves flexibility quickly. The first few classes are pretty brutal, but once you get used to the heat, it is awesome! I did it pretty regularly last winter, and some knee issues that I’d been battling for years were resolved, probably due to the constant stretching and strengthening.

zagfan
    Participant

I’m in the same boat. Runner’s knee cut my season short two months ago and I haven’t been able to run or bike since. The worst part is that the weather has been perfect for about a month and I’m stuck in the pool or weight room. I took the same approach as macker, beer numbs the pain :). I know in the end this will be a good thing b/c by the time I’m fully healed I’ll have months of anticipation to start my IM training plan off with. My wife is about to kill me though b/c all I do is sit online looking at tri bikes and reading this forum. I’ve been wanting to get out and play in the local football league or go on hikes but I’m so paranoid about my knee that I usually just sit around wasting the day. Maybe we should start a support group, Triathletes Anonymous.

admin
    Keymaster

Sign me up for TA. I keep having little flare ups and other misc. junk come up. I feel like I need to be doing something to maintain, but have a tendency to do too much too soon.
    Somebody have one of those cold beers for me please.

thesonicson
    Participant

Oh you bunch of sappy souls!! lol!! I am happy with my 15lbs of weight gain from the month off. Gives me something to look forward to burn off. Also, if you are not trying to gain weight DO NOT invest in the Krups Beertender!! But damn it’s nice!

brittda
    Participant
    nanhosen wrote:
    I don’t know where you live, but if it’s in you area, you should check out Bikram yoga. It’s SO different from any other class I’ve been to. The room is heated to around 105 degrees, with about 50% humidity. It’s 1.5 hours long, and kicks your butt!! It’s a great workout, and really improves flexibility quickly. The first few classes are pretty brutal, but once you get used to the heat, it is awesome! I did it pretty regularly last winter, and some knee issues that I’d been battling for years were resolved, probably due to the constant stretching and strengthening.

Yeah I do it 4-5 x a week it’s great (although our place keeps it hotter upwards of 114) I also do at least one marathon in the winter. This year it is in January. Keeps me going with a goal.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.