ironman louisville

Pin it

Home Triathlon Forum Triathlon Discussions ironman louisville

This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of kylie kylie 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    derek5
    Participant

I have a friend that is leading a blind athlete next year at Louisville. Originally I was going for support, but now I am signed up for the race. I am excited! Only problem is I can’t find much info about this race online. I understand the swim start is in intervals, It is hot and humid, and the finish looks like a ton of fun. That is the extent of my knowledge. Any links, tips, etc….. would be appreciated. One thing in particular I would like to know is where to find a race confirmation list.

Thanks!

Anton
    Participant
    Trilosopher
    Participant

I did this year’s race and it bugged me that this is probably the only Ironman without it’s own website outside of it’s page on Ironman.com. Most of the important information is there, but there is a lack of fancy pictures and other details.

The swim start is a “time trial” start, in which 2000ish people stand in line and jump into the water one after the other (plenty of videos of this on Youtube). It probably takes 45ish minutes to get through the line so I’d recommend getting to the swim start a good 30 minutes (maybe more) early if you wanna get a good spot in line.

As far as the heat and humidity go, I didn’t find it to be much more serious of an issue than discomfort, but I expected it and it was similar to the weather I trained in. It did get to me on the beginning of the run because the first part of the out-and-back has NO shade. By the time I got back on the end of my first lap, the sun was starting to go down so it wasn’t as torturous. But I guess if you plan to finish the race in daylight this could be much more of an issue, but then again being capable of finishing in daylight might make it less of one. Either way keep hydrated.

Finish line is pretty awesome. Same rock star treatment that the spectators give you at any Ironman finish. Within 10 minutes of finishing I was with my friends at TGIF Fridays (20 feet fom the finish line) with a beer in hand and bacon cheeseburger on it’s way.

Here’s my race report, for what it’s worth. There are plenty of others to be found as well.

http://trifuel.com/forum/15634/imky-mopbop-perspective-kind-of-long

TriSooner
    Participant
    derek5 wrote:
    Only problem is I can’t find much info about this race online.

Google “Ironman Louisville race report”. You’ll have hours of reading to kill some time.

kylie
    Participant
    Trilosopher wrote:
    I did this year’s race and it bugged me that this is probably the only Ironman without it’s own website outside of it’s page on Ironman.com. Most of the important information is there, but there is a lack of fancy pictures and other details.

It is put on by WTC, so has their standard of website, while the basic website that NA Sports (who does IMAZ, IMC, IMCDA, IMUSA, IMF, IMWI) is a different group. I’m not saying it is a good site, but just that it’s not the only IM like that — here in North America we have just come to expect the NA Sports look and feel.

kylie
    Participant
    Tamara
    Participant

Kylie – C’mon, tell the truth…you only like IMKY because they were nice enough to name it after you. :-)

kylie
    Participant

Well that *was* part of why I signed up ;) But then they had to go and make it Ironman Louisville instead of IMKY!!

At least Mike got a fitting shirt at the airport…

beads1985
    Participant

‘I (heart) KY’ can be interpreted so many ways ;-D
    But, since I know you, I’ll leave it alone.

Anton
    Participant

Oh god! That shirt is just begging for so many off color comments…;)

kylie
    Participant

Yeah, that shirt pretty much just rocks. :p

That pic was at our rehersal, and someone actually asked “Did he know it could mean Kylie when he got it?” after hearing he found it while with me….

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.