IM – travel

Home Triathlon Forum Basic/Newbie Forum IM – travel

This topic contains 15 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of SueR SueR 4 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    TonisTri
    Participant

How many days before your IM should you plan to arrive? Assume travel to the same time zone. Is there more than one day worth of stuff you need to do…packet pick-up, transition prep, etc…

IthinkIcan
    Participant

I had a very similar question a while back. Raced day on sunday, arrive early on friday since check in and registration has to happen be EOD friday. Need to set up transition areas and bags saturday, plus drop the bike.

It probably depends how far you have to travel, but at a minimum for MDOT events it seems you need to be there early on Friday. I hope others with more experience will (re)confirm this for you.

beads1985
    Participant

When I did IM FL I arrived on Thursday morning. There are a lot of things going on so I wanted to be there for it all. Might as well experience the most for your $$

triNick

Yeah, make sure to know the packet pick-up details, they like to get it done early. If it’s a place I haven’t been to before, I like to get there early enough to scout the course and try it out and take in all of the things going on with the event.

macker
    Participant

I would say 3 days before…so if a Sat race, I would say get there Wed afternoon. Gives you plenty of time to register, relax and not feel rushed…feeling comfortable and relaxed is very important….

gfd
    Participant

Both of mine were Saturday races and I arrived by noon the day before (4 hour drive). Not ideal, but necessary. You become very rushed, but the positive is there is no time to sit around and stress over the race.

triath02
    Participant

If I remember correctly, you have to arrive at IMFL at least by Thursday afternoon to pick up your race packet. Then bike check in is on Friday.

TriSooner
    Participant

Overkill! Except for Florida, all others have day-before check-in, packet pick-up, big and T1/T2 bag drop-off. So, arrive on Friday, check-in/drop-offs Saturday, race Sunday. It’s not nearly as complicated as it looks on paper.

TriSooner
    Participant

Previous thread:

http://www.trifuel.com/forum/20893/im-weekend-bag-check-arrival-qs

I took a typical Ironman pre-race schedule and marked-out all the BS stuff on the schedule.

TonisTri
    Participant

Thanks guys! On a related note, I have heard there is not much to do in Panama City, unless you are a college kid on break, which I am not. Is it worth bringing my kids and staying for 5-6 days or should I just get in and out for the race? That’s a lot of dough to travel to Florida and I wanna make it as worthwhile as possible.

And no, I will not let them run across the finish line with me…

beads1985
    Participant

The weather is nice and so is the beach if you bring the family.

TonisTri
    Participant
    TriSooner wrote:
    Previous thread:

http://www.trifuel.com/forum/20893/im-weekend-bag-check-arrival-qs

I took a typical Ironman pre-race schedule and marked-out all the BS stuff on the schedule.

Just read it. Thank you. very, very helpful.

knemyer
    Participant

Hey, think twice about bringing the family for a vacation in “nice” weather. 2006 IMFL: temps in the 40′s on race morning! All triathletes were wearing wetsuits and socks (beach sand in 40 degree weather = the same as standing on an ice floe), peeling off and tossing their socks into a 55 gallon drum as we entered the water.

beads1985
    Participant

I was there in 2005 and it was warm and the water was comfortable, but it can change year to year

TonisTri
    Participant

Yup, I am from Florida. My whole family is still there. The weather can be dicey in Nov, Dec, Jan. I was more wondering about restaurants, family stuff to do. I suppose we could just rent a car and go see Grandma or Mickey Mouse afterwards.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.