High Blood Pressure

Pin it

This topic contains 10 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of emzman emzman 6 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    emzman
    Participant

So, I took my blood pressure today and it read 132/75. I’m 37 yrs.-old with a history of heart disease on both sides of my family. I’m 5’5″ and weigh around 190 lbs. My mom says that it’s high for my age. I’ve been training 10-12 hours per week for the last 3 years. My question is, isn’t exercise supposed to keep my b.p. down? I don’t think that my diet is that bad. I don’t eat very much fried food and I eat a lot of carbs and protein (mostly chicken). I don’t eat as much as veggies as I should though. Any suggestions on how to lower my b.p. would really help.

fpugsley
    Participant

I would suggest cutting out all salt from your foods. dont add it to anything and dont eat out much. I have high BP also, and eating right, training and not putting salt on anything seems to keep me from needing medication, and I am only 28.

Dont use any stimulants like coffee, or other “sports supplements” because pretty much anything you use as a supplement will raise your BP.

Other than that, what does your regular doctor say about your BP history? He/she should be able to give you sound advice.

WillbIM1Day
    Participant

You’re totally in the “normal” range and have nothing to worry about. Check out this chart:

http://www.vaughns-1-pagers.com/medicine/blood-pressure.htm

With the amount you train and the number of calories you consume, if I were you I’d be more cognizant of my cholesterol numbers (triglycerides, LDL, total cholesterol). Your training is nothing but a treat for your BP and heart rate.

emzman
    Participant

I haven’t seen a doctor in 6 years. You can say that I have a phobia about going to the doctors. It seems like they never have anything good to tell you.

qb ant
    Participant

Your bp isn’t all that high, but you should definitely see your doctor and have a history with him – yearly physicals and so forth – this way you and your dr will have all your numbers, bp, cholesterol, etc. and you’ll both know what is normal for you. With heart disease in your family, it is VERY important to see your doctor – training and eating right and all that is great and certainly a step in the right direction, but go the distance and get checked out.

big 3
    Participant

Believe it or not. Pistachios, Walnuts and I believe Almonds are a natural way to lower your BP.
    http://live.psu.edu/story/23884
    or here
    http://www.foodreference.com/html/a-pistachio-hea-208.html

I seem to remember just like the BP medicine, you have to eat them every day.
    A friend was part of this study. He was eating 10% of his daily calories from pistachios.
    Result was 20 points lower on both numbers of his BP and lower cholesterol as well.
    5% was also effective but 10% is where he saw the biggest difference.

I suppose all people react differently, my friend had one of the larger reactions within the study.
    I’m not a fan of taking medicines long term, so if this were an issue for me, I’d be trying it.

Hope you find something that works.

Tamara
    Participant

My husband recently learned that he has high blood pressure and started taking medication. Very difficult for him to hear — he’s 51 with a family history, but has been an athlete his whole life (Army Special Forces, etc…). He kind of has to think about it in terms of the fact that exercise has been keeping his blood pressure down, in relation to where it would be if he wasn’t exercising. At a certain point, factors like genetics do play a part.

Also, did you note your height and weight correctly? My husband is 6’1″ and 185-190. If you are only 5’5″, part of the issue might be that you are carrying a fair amount of extra weight – whether fat or muscle – that is adding stress to your heart. Since you know you have a predisposition genetically, I’d think it’s worth a trip to the doctor. Don’t ignore something that could only get worse as time goes on.

chris91180
    Participant

Well at 132/75 you aren’t doing that bad. 120/80 is generally what you’re aiming for. Your diastolic pressure is good, and is the more important number from a long term perspective. That’s your pressure when the heart is relaxed. What you need to do is monitor the your BP on a regular basis. One reading really doesn’t tell you much. Tomorrow it may be 145/90. You need to get an average and see what is normal for you.

Definitely cut back on salt if possible. Eating nuts can help, but if they are salted it can defeat the purpose. Eating more fruits and vegetables can also improve it to an extent. At this point it looks like you just need to keep and eye on it regularly. If you start averaging over 135/85 (either number), its probably time to do something other than exercise since you already have that covered. At 5’5″ 190, it sounds like you could stand to lose a few pounds. If you were to drop 10 pounds, it would probably have a significant impact on your blood pressure, not to mention your bike and run splits!! Obviously, the more weight you lose the better, but that is probably going to be your most effective solution outside of medication.

Chris

beads1985
    Participant
    emzman wrote:
    So, I took my blood pressure today.

Do you work in a hospital or doctors office or have professional, calibrated, medical equipment?

emzman wrote:
    and it read 132/75. I’m 37 yrs.-old with a history of heart disease on both sides of my family. I’m 5’5″ and weigh around 190 lbs. My mom says that it’s high for my age. I’ve been training 10-12 hours per week for the last 3 years. My question is, isn’t exercise supposed to keep my b.p. down? I don’t think that my diet is that bad. I don’t eat very much fried food and I eat a lot of carbs and protein (mostly chicken). I don’t eat as much as veggies as I should though. Any suggestions on how to lower my b.p. would really help.

The weight you stated for your height might be a factor as well.
    If you are wary of doctors do some research and find a doctor that is more progressive and might have some background in sports medicine.
    You can not properly diagnose any issues you may have or establish a baseline health profile.
    Do a little investigating, interview a few doctors and than get a physical every year. Doctors can and will have good things to say if you have a realtionship with themand they can see where you are at year to year.
    My doctor asks me about what races I am doing and loves to see me because he is so used to just treating sick people it is nice to see someone who is taking care of his health.

Good luck!!

robbo22
    Participant
    chris91180 wrote:
    Your diastolic pressure is good, and is the more important number from a long term perspective. That’s your pressure when the heart is relaxed. What you need to do is monitor the your BP on a regular basis.

Ermm, says who?
    Systolic is what your arteries and tissues have to endure.

I forget the %, and it probably varies from country to country, but a stupid number of blood pressure machines are inaccurate, mix in a bit of user incompetence with a dash of white coat hypertension, and you have one fine recipe for shonky numbers :)

132/75 is actually pretty good, for what it’s worth.

emzman
    Participant

My bp yesterday was 128/80, and today it was 114/66. I think I may have had the strap on to tight the first day. I cut out salt the last couple days. Pretty sure that helped. It might have been the 8 mile run yesterday and the 30 mile bike ride the day before that brought things to normal. I’m definitely going to check more often. As for seeing the doctor, I’m going to see her at the end of my race season in September.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The forum ‘Health/Nutrition’ is closed to new topics and replies.