Estimate LTHR During Sprint Triathlon?

Pin it

Home Triathlon Forum Triathlon Discussions Estimate LTHR During Sprint Triathlon?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of TriLiving TriLiving 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    TriLiving
    Participant

Does anyone know if you can estimate your Lactate Threshold during a Sprint Tiathlon? I am focusing on IM training this year so the intensity training has been down vesus previous years. I have done a few Sprints and 1 Oly this year, but did not have an HRM with me. Because of my IM focus, I want to limit the really hard efforts so instead of doing a testing protocol session I was wondering if I could use my upcoming Sprint this weekend. (17 mile bike and 5K)….

jnrice
    Participant

nothing real definitive that I know of. Your best 5k time should give you an idea of your LT however (not in a sprint tri) because a fast 5k is done about at LT but this is all very approximate. you can find other ways to approximate your LT and VO2 Max online with non-maximal test procedures and w/out lab equipment. I think that Joe Friel has some testing ideas in his books.

Anton
    Participant

For me, it’s always been best to do LT testing in a controlled situation….a 5K on the track or on the trainer. You want a nice consistent effort. a Race could be inconsistent…turns on the bike, weather, descents and number of things that could prevent you from having a good 30 minutes at a uniform effort.

jnrice
    Participant
    Anton wrote:
    For me, it’s always been best to do LT testing in a controlled situation….a 5K on the track or on the trainer. You want a nice consistent effort. a Race could be inconsistent…turns on the bike, weather, descents and number of things that could prevent you from having a good 30 minutes at a uniform effort.

yes, this is very true. you can also track your relative LT by just having a consistent 5k test. For most, this is good enough and actual numbers just don’t matter. As your 5k time on a track goes down then your LT has most likely gone up. The equipment used for LT in labs can be very simple and if you know anyone who is a grad student or prof in a Exercise Science department you might be able to sneak in as test subject and get some free testing out of it.

TriLiving
    Participant

I’m a bit of a numbers freak and would love to get a test done in a lab. I have done controlled tests before, but as I had siad, I wanted to limit my hard efforts during IM training and was hoing to get some intel at a sprint. Something like a typical 5K in a sprint is done at 90% LT or something…

Anyway, tahnks for the info!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.