“Cyclist must have end plugs on their bike” ????

Home Triathlon Forum Basic/Newbie Forum “Cyclist must have end plugs on their bike” ????

This topic contains 19 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of beads1985 beads1985 5 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    pelicanruck
    Participant

Perhaps most rookie question ever. First tri next weekend. Riding an old mountain bike. My race packet says “bike must have end plugs or will be disqualified.” What are end plugs. Googled them, sure enough they look like plugs. But no pics of where they go. Im assuming they go in the ends of the handlebars, but dont want my assumption to keep me from racing.. feel free to publicly ridicule me after you answer.. on a side note, if im correct, why would that be so important you would be dq.

brittda
    Participant

They go on the end of your handlebars just like you think :). With out them it can be considered dangerous with potential exposed metal for both you and someone you may come in contact with.
    No worries…I did not know what they were at first either.

go gate 2006
    Participant

Yeah, it’s a safety issue. They don’t want you to accidently take a core sample of yourself or others in the event of a crash.

beads1985
    Participant

Human swiss cheese ;-O

TriSooner
    Participant

Bigger races sell them on-site at the expo. Your lbs should have them for about $.37.

jnrice
    Participant

Or just drink a bottle of wine the night before, cut the cork in half and use those, that or duct tape. I’ve never seen any check but it’s a good idea even if they aren’t checking.

brittda
    Participant
    jnrice wrote:
    Or just drink a bottle of wine the night before, cut the cork in half and use those, that or duct tape. I’ve never seen any check but it’s a good idea even if they aren’t checking.

OHHH the last HIM I did they checked and dq’d people before the start until you showed an official you had them on. They walked around the racks and wrote numbers down, then called them off over the loud speaker. Best to have them.

trigirltina2
    Participant

You really don’t want to crash and have your bar go into your body, beccause you didn’t have a bar end plug.

Most races do check for bar end plugs! Rules are meant for a reason-someone died.

jtrimom
    Participant

don’t bikes come with them? mine did

trigirltina2
    Participant

Yes. Over time though they can come off the bike. Just a standard check to see that they are there prior to race. coach has a preety gross and sad story about not having them.

Toothless
    Participant

They come with handle bar tape and grips.

Carlos Mx
    Participant

I thought handlebars had them for estethic reasons only. Isn’t that the reason for handlebar tape, and maybe race wheels too?

Triguy98
    Participant

If youve got a moutnain bike, and your bike has grips on it (which it should) if the end of those grips are solid and cover the bar, you are ok. If you can stick your finger into the bar, go get some end plugs, or new grips.

jhudalla
    Participant

My brother crashed on his bike without bar end, and for some reason or other he ended up getting the bar in his butt-cheek, EXACTLY as said above, it took a ‘core’ – type gouge out of his butt. It was a shock to see how yellow fat was, aside from the injury itself.

So if you don’t have ‘m; for your sake, for your butt’s sake. Get the end plugs.

pelicanruck
    Participant

Cool,, dont have them,, but I get the jist.. My bike has ends so the grips dont cover the end of the bars… What a nice thought though. Core sample… Ha.. Just the thought makes me queasy. Thanks everyone..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.