Compression socks – how long?

Pin it

This topic contains 10 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of dscf23 dscf23 5 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    dscf23
    Participant

Hi I would like to know for how long do you wear the compression socks? I wore a pair yesterday and after about 2 hours could not stand them anymore. This was after a 4 mile run. Maybe it is just because it is new. Please help

Daniel

Gsal
    Participant

if its your first time it might be that your not used to it. Also, if you have hair on your legs (this is one of my reasons for shaving my legs) it can irritate the hair ALOT. When my legs are shaved, i can wear mine for a LONG time. Longest i’ve ever gone is around 16 hours (i was on a plane for around 13 of them). I’ll also sleep with them if my legs feel really tired the night before.

TriSooner
    Participant

I thought they were just for running. What do I know? I just can’t imagine being caught wearing, much less running in, long white or black socks up to my knees. I’ve seen pics from when I was a kid in the 80s with the striped white tube/gym socks. I’m not going back to that. But if they work . . .

jhudalla
    Participant

I will attest to them working wonders. I wear them on every run longer than 10 miles (i’ve been having serious calf tightness issues) these things have cured me right up. After an uuber long run 20-30 miles I’ll wear’m all day and all night + ice as well. My recovery is split in 2.

KitKat
    Participant

I pretty much live in mine. When I could run I’d use them for sprint work or LSD and on the bike. I’ve worn them racing a 5k, marathon and century ride. I also wear them at work for recovery and sleeping. I’m not one that cares to sleep with socks on so it took me awhile to get used to. My Zoot recovery tights I’d have to take off 3-4 hours into my sleep, as I’d wake up with no feeling in my legs. After a few times sleeping in them my body got used to it and no longer feel asleep. I’m a big in compression.

I like rockin the knee high look….maybe it’s different for girls. I’ve even coordinated them to match my skirts, yes I am that much of a tri dosk.

rhane
    Participant

Medical grade compression is very uncomfortable. Luckily, the products readily available don’t provide quite the same compression as the medical stuff – otherwise they wouldn’t be very popular, believe me. Can you say, human burrito? Compression is probably best reserved for racing or, like Kat says, extremely long training rides or runs when hydration and electrolyte replenishment becomes a hassle. They hurt because they are forcing interstitial fluid back into the cells, and this doesn’t happen with a squeeze like grandma’s….the compression eventually aggravates surrounding baroreceptors of the nervous system until the point where they become so hyperactive they shoot out pain signals to the brain. When the socks start to hurt, please take them off. A “deep and uncomfortable pain” is the pain from your peripheral nerves telling you it’s time to give them a rest.

If you wear them because you get cramps often, trying to balance your water and electrolytes more effectively will help more than a pair of socks or compression underwear. Hydration determines cramps at least 90% of the time and post-workout recovery can be quickened by high glycemic carbohydrates and protein in the form of liquids (whey and carbohydrate mix in a 1:1 ratio) immediately following training. The 4:1 nonsense is fine if you don’t mind lean body tissue catabolism…otherwise 1:1 is recommended.

So the quick answer is, take them off when they hurt in a way that doesn’t simply feel like hair being aggravated. It may be 30 minutes, or it may be 3 hours…but please don’t sleep in them if they are uncomfortable, you risk lack of blood delivery to deep tissues if they are too tight.

Anton
    Participant

I love it watching people in races…walking most of the run…wearing compression socks, in Newton’s wondering why these things aren’t helping.
    Just my observation, but you can walk just as fast in a pair of Asics Kayano and sport socks as you can in Newton’s or Zoots with compression socks.
    I’m also guessing rhane is a Nurse, Doctor, Med student or does good research. ;)

rhane
    Participant

Anton, I agree with you. Although I love looking at the newest technologies and nice stuff – the suits and shoes and bikes – and love to watch talented athletes make use of them, I like your point. In the end, it’s the athlete and the nutrition and training that makes the biggest difference. Good guess too, I’m a student…

dscf23
    Participant

I am using a medium compression (around 20mg) medical sock. Around here ( I live in Brazil) the neat stuff has not yet arrived and I could not get myself to pay 35-60 usd for something so new to me. So now that I have tried it, I will buy the more expensive ones. Do you guys know the de soto calf compressor? Or are the zoot socks the ones to buy??

ps the medical ones are just the same as what is advertized by the sport compression, more compression on foot and ankle and less around the knee.

Thanks
    Daniel

kylie
    Participant

why but the more expensive ones when both work? :)

dscf23
    Participant

who knows. just trying to follow the fashion. hahaha. I tought it could be a little better. But my guess is they are just the same with different price tags.

Thanks for bringing me back to Earth Kylie.

Daniel

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The forum ‘Triathlon Gear’ is closed to new topics and replies.