Black & Blue Toenail

Pin it

This topic contains 41 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of tri-ac tri-ac 8 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of daveg
    daveg
    Participant

my BIG toenail is all black and blue and throbbing in pain. long story.
    i have iced it a little bit.
    should I just leave it alone & deal with it & wait til the nail falls off or will the pain not go away until the pressure is relieved by having a doctor drill a small hole in nail to release blood buildup underneath??

Profile photo of 00gauge
    00gauge
    Participant

It is really based on the severity of the pain. If you can deal with it, leave it be. The pain will eventually go away, you probably need to give it at least good 3 days. Also don’t try to pry the nail off, let it come off by itself. You have at least good 6 months before the new one grows.

Profile photo of beads1985
    beads1985
    Participant

I have dropped stuff on my foot and had that problem.
    I sterilized a heavy needle or a paperclip, then I heated it up with a candle flame, and I poked a hole in the center of the black toenail and blood came out and relieved the pressure. It felt so much better and I didn’t lose the nail.
    I had to reheat an poke a few spots to get ost of the blood out.
    Afterwards I cleaned it thoroughly and let it dry and put a band-aid over it.
    It drained a little bit overnight.

Good luck.

Profile photo of TriSooner
    TriSooner
    Participant
    daveg wrote:
    by having a doctor drill a small hole in nail to release blood buildup underneath??

I see a great youtube video in the making!

Profile photo of diva_mom
    diva_mom
    Participant

i have a drill

Profile photo of daveg
    daveg
    Participant

…there are actually videos of people ripping their toenails off on youtube….I will not become one of those….however, the event that lead to this injury would have been quite the video to post for all of your viewing pleasure…

I’ll wait a few days, see how it feels…would be nice to save the nail I suppose, so if need be, I’ll get out the old drill after a few martinis………or just use a needle

diva_mom
    Participant

i have vodka

Profile photo of TriSooner
    TriSooner
    Participant
    daveg wrote:
    I’ll get out the old drill after a few martinis

Just use a small bit.

diva_mom wrote:
    i have vodka

“The martini is a cocktail made with gin and vermouth.” A “vodka” martini is no closer to a martini than California sparkling wine is to Champagne. :) Yummy, love that pine tar!

diva_mom
    Participant

ah, sooner, how true. i think my mullet is showing. step dad was a vodka martini swilling drunk a$$ mofo. started pouring for him when i was 4.

i have bombay sapphire for the more sophisticated in our trailer park ;-)

Profile photo of TryScott
    TryScott
    Participant

A doctor might give you more piece of mind, but I’m sure you can find someone that has experience doing it without the cost, inconvenience, and bad magazines in the waiting room of a doctor. My local running store will take care of it, but I don’t think it’s a service of every Foot Locker at the mall.

Profile photo of beads1985
    beads1985
    Participant

C’mon suck it up and poke it with a hot needle and you’ll be feeling better in a few minutes. ;-)

diva_mom
    Participant

and don’t forget the pics

Profile photo of tri-ac
    tri-ac
    Participant
    diva_mom wrote:
    i have a drill
    diva_mom wrote:
    i have vodka

divamom, you’re quite the provocateur

Profile photo of kaolelo
    kaolelo
    Participant

as a physician (internal med/peds) i can say that you don’t really need a dr for this. if it is really bothering you, do as others have suggested, and just heat up a paperclip and gently push it through the nail. as others have also said, do not remove the nail. it will come off by itself.

hope that helps.

kawika

Profile photo of daveg
    daveg
    Participant

well no gory pics here…i left it alone as the pain subsided after day 2. although still blueish, nail seems strong and no pain at all. sorry for the anticlimax folks….. :(

next time

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 42 total)

The forum ‘Health/Nutrition’ is closed to new topics and replies.