Bike Components

Pin it

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of jnrice jnrice 3 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Rsmoylan
    Participant

Are bike components interchangeable with other components? In other words, could I slowly improve the components I have over time? Or is it better to do a complete overhaul of the componentry?(is that a word?) Right now I am riding a secteur sport with sora/tiagra components, should I start to rebuild or wait all together till I can afford a better bike? I know it’s a lot of questions, and I appreciate the input. Thanks.

dkhartung
    Participant

I also started on a bike with tiagra components and the advice I was given was that while you can start upgrading compopnents within the Shimano family, or even SRAM. You’re on an entry level bike, and there’s nothing wrong with that. You’ll probably want to upgrade the whole rig at some point. I don’t think you’re going to really want to upgrade to Ultegra components (for example) on a secteur sport frame.

So yes, you can upgrade, but my advice would be to save your money, work on your biking skills now, and upgrade the rig later. I’ve found that many folks make upgrades early in their tri lives, sometimes before they really know what it is they are going to really want for the long term.

I still have that first MASI with the sora/tiagra components… it’s the one I can leave on the trainer. I still love my first bike.

jnrice
    Participant
    dkhartung wrote:
    I also started on a bike with tiagra components and the advice I was given was that while you can start upgrading compopnents within the Shimano family, or even SRAM. You’re on an entry level bike, and there’s nothing wrong with that. You’ll probably want to upgrade the whole rig at some point. I don’t think you’re going to really want to upgrade to Ultegra components (for example) on a secteur sport frame.

So yes, you can upgrade, but my advice would be to save your money, work on your biking skills now, and upgrade the rig later. I’ve found that many folks make upgrades early in their tri lives, sometimes before they really know what it is they are going to really want for the long term.

I still have that first MASI with the sora/tiagra components… it’s the one I can leave on the trainer. I still love my first bike.

+1 on the entire post. Every time you feel like upgrading just take that money, throw it in a shoe box under your bed and wait until you have enough for the bike that you really want.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The forum ‘Triathlon Gear’ is closed to new topics and replies.