Best Recovery Drink Ever!

Pin it

This topic contains 21 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Riverbrady Riverbrady 6 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Bullet
    Participant

Alright, everyone has a favorite. Most people go with the science and stick with recovery specific products such as Endurox, Powerbar, Hammer etc, while others swear by chocolate milk or other home made brews. I’d like to hear what your favorite recovery drink is and why. Is it the taste, the ingredients, the price? I plan on posting the results to my blog at http://www.crewdthoughts.blogspot.com. (That’s not spamming is it?)

Tribro
    Participant

No, it’s totally cool.

Hard to argue with chocolate milk :) at least the taste factor…

i use cytomax mostly for riding. was doing muscle milk for post workouts but it can get old cause it’s a bit clumpy. I actually just started using Base Performance for post workout, the taste is good and dissolves pretty well. Isn’t the protein and calorie heavy supplement like musclemilk, mostly amino acids. Gonna use that this year and see how it works for me. [disclaimer, it is my brothers new product so I get free samples, but if it tasted like crap I'd say so :)] Other than that I’ve used the powerbar stuff as well, both the mix and the self serve pre-mixed one serving.

theShiba
    Participant

I am always reading stuff on the Recovery Drink/foods…..

What distance should I start thinking about this stuff at? I always make sure to have a small bite after my workouts, but when should I start thinking about using an official recovery drink type thing? 50 mile bike? 30 mile bike? 10mile run? 13 mile run? I mean, I know that I could basically get the same calorie and protein/carb benefit from any food, but in your opinion(s) when should I start looking at something specifically geared for recovery vs. chocolate soy milk?

TriSooner
    Participant

Beer. Hands down. Technically not a ‘recovery’ drink in the physical sense, but more of a psychological recovery. C’mon, know one-day dreams about a tall, cold Cytomax at the finish. I can’t be the only one who thinks, “I can’t wait to finish, grab a beer and sit under a tree and watch other finishers.”

NotAsFast
    Participant

Actually, Slim Fast Optima. It is cheaper than almost everything else. Crack open a cold one and slam it back fast. Oh, sorry that was the celebratory beer at the end of a 1/2. But serious about the slimfast, I usually drink one for every 1/2 hour of training, and as an added benefit I stays your hunger for up to 4 hours……….

Speaking of beer, Latta plantation Tri (North Carolina Triathlon Series) has had a free beer trailer at every event for the past 5 years. Every had to call your wife to come and get you from a triathlon because you have had one too many……..makes for a very interesting afternnon.

NotAsFast
    Participant
    NotAsFast wrote:
    Actually, Slim Fast Optima. It is cheaper than almost everything else. Crack open a cold one and slam it back fast. Oh, sorry that was the celebratory beer at the end of a 1/2. But serious about the slimfast, I usually drink one for every 1/2 hour of training, and as an added benefit it stays your hunger for up to 4 hours……….

Speaking of beer, Latta plantation Tri (North Carolina Triathlon Series) has had a free beer trailer at every event for the past 5 years. Every had to call your wife to come and get you from a triathlon because you have had one too many……..makes for a very interesting afternnon.

kkocan
    Participant

Slim fast. 4-1 carbs to protein, great taste (chocolate) when ice cold. Nothing like chugging one 10 minutes after a long workout. If no SF, then good old chocolate milk.

UFTriGator
    Participant

When I do long, hard bricks in the morning then a swim workout (usually ~5000m) I used to start to cramp a bit in my legs at about 3000-4000m, which isn’t any good since this is typical workout about 4-5x a week. I was able to make it stronger through the swim after using Ultragen. No joke, it was like night and day once I started using it.

saydee1800
    Participant

I use Cytomax Orange and peach are killer

cayman
    Participant

Yoo-hoo, cheap and available at your friendly neighborhood kwik-e-mart or vending machine.

theShiba
    Participant
    NotAsFast wrote:
    Actually, Slim Fast Optima. It is cheaper than almost everything else. Crack open a cold one and slam it back fast. Oh, sorry that was the celebratory beer at the end of a 1/2. But serious about the slimfast, I usually drink one for every 1/2 hour of training, and as an added benefit I stays your hunger for up to 4 hours……….

But OMG, the SMELL!

M
    Participant

Grocery-store brand of ovaltine. It’s exactly like chocolate milk (if you get the chocolate, not malt flavor) except with extra vitamins, which can’t hurt. It’s cheap and you can make it cold or hot. The latter is less important now, but sometimes I get really cold after biking in cooler weather, so the hot is good in that situation. I also just really like chocolate.

brittda
    Participant
    kkocan wrote:
    Slim fast. 4-1 carbs to protein, great taste (chocolate) when ice cold. Nothing like chugging one 10 minutes after a long workout. If no SF, then good old chocolate milk.

+1 on the Slim Fast–for the same reason. Costco actually makes one that is almost (but not exactly) like the slim fast (regular) in chocolate. I even have one before a long run as breakfast often on the weekends. It’s not too filling and my tummy handles it well.

RV
    Participant

Ultragen is great, next is chocolate milk or an Ensure (chocolate of course!).

Donna
    Participant

Recovery on key workouts (tough bricks, hill repeats, long bikes and runs): Endurox-2 scoops. On easier days (but at least an hour workout): I eat protein enriched pasta with some fake meatballs and veggies. Yum!
    And I do have to say: I totally crave delicious endurox when I’m on my ride. Have you ever tasted chocolate flavor?? It’s the nectar of the gods…. :)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

The forum ‘Health/Nutrition’ is closed to new topics and replies.