Advice on Winter training

Home Triathlon Forum Triathlon Discussions Advice on Winter training

This topic contains 14 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of jmcglos jmcglos 9 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    swimbikerun_boy
    Participant

since here in the great white north we have about six inches of snow and im going to be stuck on the trainer (when it gets here) i thought i would start a thread just talking about the tricks of the trade when it comes to training in the cold weather.

Running- If your layered never stop to take off a layer it’s not very freindly( found that out today) u gotta keep running while taking it off :D

Biking- For being on the trainer I’ve had freinds tell me a few of their secrets
    1) Im sure you’ve heard this one: Your watching tv commercial comes on you stop spinning and go hard until the commercial is over
    2) If you want a good climbing workout put on your favourite CD when a chorus comes on You get out of the saddle and climb until it is over

Swimming- I would suggest getting into a pool

A/w I’ll leave the rest to you hope this fules some creativity becuase i know that when i get my trainer im going to be soo bored :(

Please add Thanx

Peace
    Tyler

catwood
    Participant

I just watch movies on the trainer….
    Go easy when the good guy is on screen, spin faster when the bad guys comes on… and stand up when they’re both on chasing each other…
    And set my HRM to beep at me when I’m going way too easy. Otherwise I just end up sitting there.

TIM G
    Participant

I just tell myself I’m only going to ride on my trainer or rollers for 30 minutes…..Then I usually ride atleast an hour. It really works for me because once I get started I know I won’t stop.

Yep, inside traaining is boring, but worth it. Atleast we have a group of athletes here that understand each other and we can find motivation from knowing we ALL suffer from this….except you people in the warm south, just kidding….sorta.

I had a nice 8 mile run today in the melting snow and slush. It was 44 degrees and sunny with no wind. I wore shorts and short sleeves and was comfortable, but got “those looks” from people. Also rode my mountain bike 1 1/2 hours this morning outside in the snow and mud. One whole day without working out INSIDE in January in Indiana….I love it.

Tribro
    Participant

nice Tim! Sounds like a great day.

I too did a run in the snow. Kept my jacket on the whole time. Looking to maybe start doing some mountain bike rides outside as well once the snow stops falling.

As for inside training I like the 30 minute trick deal that’s a good one. I also throw on a movie and try to keep my self going through the whole thing on longer days. If it’s good movie it usually works. I also watch past tapes of the Tour and pretend I’m in the tour with Trek Postal :) The DVD is cut into chapters of stages so I try to mimick the stage. Time Trial I’m in my aeros, mountain stage I throw a couple extra books under the front wheel, crank up the gears, and do slow spinning.

As for outside running, the snow thing is new to me so it’s still kinda fun and I get excited to go out and get a dirty and wet.

PrinceofClydes
    Participant

Oddly I do not find the trainer boring. Like tribro above I prefer to watch tapes of the TdF.
    This week I am re-doing the 2002 tour with the boys, following all the moves. I am wearing my HRM and I have the bike computer wired on the rear wheel so I can monitor my speed against the resistance and of course use the gears.

Today we raced Pau -La Mongie. JaJa broke away after only 5 miles and was caught just 3km from the finish. Heras paced Lance and Beloki over the final 6km and with 500m to go Lance could see that Roberto could not win the stage as Beloki looked too strong, having merely followed Postal up the hill, so he went by like a blue streak and won by 50m without breathing hard.
    3521.gif
    I also have a lot of triathlon tapes too. The trainer need never be boring if you are organized and focused. I try to have a goal for each session and I log it all here.

all the best,
    PoC

swimbikerun_boy
    Participant

that’s cool
    i have to pick up a couple of tour de france videos

Peace
    Tyler

Tribro
    Participant
    Scout
    Participant

Hey Tribro!
    I just printed out the drills…I need all the help I can find! :p

Here is another cold weather “running” tip that I am sure you have all heard before but it works so well…Find a training partner! Since running is my passion, I rarely hesitate to head out the door. BUT on a morning like this (2* as I type this), knowing that my friend will be waiting for me keeps me motivated to layer on the clothes and get moving.

birdman
    Participant

Has anyone used the Spinerval series of DVD’s? Also, do most people use a HRM as their guide? The spin bike I have been using doesn’t have cadence or MPH. Any thoughts????

Tribro
    Participant

birdman – I haven’t used spinervals, though I’ve heard they are good. I’ve used a couple tapes from CTS which I liked.

On the HRM, yes. I pretty much always train with it and gage my training by it, even on the trainer or spin bike.

Scout
    Participant

Hey birdman!
    Yep, I have one of the DVD’s and just ordered 2 more…SUPER workout…

birdman
    Participant

Which Spinerval do you use/recommend?
    Thanks

Scout
    Participant

I have #1 from the Competitive Series…”No Slackers Allowed”

I just ordered #4 “Muscle Breakdown” and #8 “Recovery and Technique”

They were both recommended to me by my coach.

Neither of us has seen the newest series, but you might want to check them out too. I am not sure if they are on the market yet…

Let me know what you think if you try them!

mckinley
    Participant

I used the Uphill Grind Spinerval tape… #7? Holy mother of pearl. It was the first time I ever got queasy on a bike.
    I’m hooked.

jmcglos
    Participant

I have #2 – Time Trial Special, and #5 – Mental Toughness. I get an incredible workout on them! They make me actually look forward to time on the trainer! My guess is that most of them are pretty good, and tough. Has anyone tried the Aero Base Builder (I, II, or III) yet?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.