50 yards vs. 50 meters. How much faster?

Home Triathlon Forum Archived Discussions Swimming 50 yards vs. 50 meters. How much faster?

This topic contains 12 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of Sandman Sandman 6 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Pete L.
    Participant

How much faster are you on a 50 yard lap than a 50 meter lap? I’m about 4 strokes less (32 vs. 36) and 3-5 seconds faster.

What are your experiences with this?

Note: Kylie corrects me later in the thread, I had them flipped

DSmith
    Participant

Sounds about right. A 25yd pool is going to be about one lane width longer than a 25m pool.

kylie
    Participant

Do you mean the other way around, or am I just that tired? Doesn’t 50m take longer than 50yds, as 50m is longer?

stewarba
    Participant

50m = ~55 yrds, so I would guess between 2-4 strokes depending on your effeciency. Personally, I haven’t measured it in yards before.

CGroth
    Participant
    kylie wrote:
    Do you mean the other way around, or am I just that tired? Doesn’t 50m take longer than 50yds, as 50m is longer?

you are not smoking bananas, 50m is indeed longer than 50yd.

Pete L.
    Participant

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=50m+in+yards&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=50+yards+in+meters&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

I normally swim in a meters pool, I think, but recently got in new pool, and my times seemed faster, and I was consistently fewer strokes. I need to look into it more fully, because apparently they swim high school swim meets in the new pool (the seemingly shorter one), but I also think they swim meets at my normal one (the longer). Maybe they’re the same, and I just happen to swim better at the new pool (doubtful). Maybe the water is more slippery.

Is it common to have a 50 yard pool?

tri-ac
    Participant

i’ve seen many more 50 yd pools (even called “50m pools”)…i suspect it’s cheaper than doing the proper 50 meters…my experience is mostly with gym pools.

stewarba
    Participant

Are we talking about an olympic sized pool? Olympic length pools are 50m in length from one side to the other (100m in a lap). Its a standard set by FINA and because of this it should be exactly 50m in length (they are huge – hell they look like a lake). The problem generally gets into the Jr Olympic pools because I don’t think it is a recognized standard of length. Most people consider this length to be 25m, but because of the lack of a standard it can and often does very in length. FINA actually has somewhat of a standard they call a “Short Course” pool, but even that differs between the US (25 yards) and the rest of the world (25 meters).

The best thing to do is measure it because it may or may not actually measure 25 meters or 25 yards. Be especially careful of this in places like hotels who advertise Jr Olympic pools. Again, because of the lack of standards, they can get away with calling their pool Jr Olympic and then you show up and its a little kidney bean shaped pool.

jsk85
    Participant

If you want to really mix yourself up, try finding a 22.5yd pool like I did. That leads to some fun math. Who would ever build a pool such a ridiculously arbitrary size. Sorry, just venting…and no I’m not going to switch pools since this one is free for the time being.

stewarba
    Participant

22.5yds is equal to about 20m, so 5 lengths of the pool would be a nice 100m number for calculating your workouts. 5 Laps (10 lengths) would be 200m, so 40 laps would be 1600m or 1 mile.

danpatgal
    Participant

I had really never taken much stock in the difference, equating them close enough for most practical purposes. But it just occurred to me that the triathlon I did last April, with a swim distance of 300 m (12 lengths in a 25 m pool) was different than the 300 yds I thought I was swimming. The triathlon requested a projected 300 m time to put the swimmers in a time trial order; since I was thinking yards (wasn’t even thinking about the difference) I said 4:40, which was a time I had done easily many times in my home pool (of course only 300 yds – 12 lengths in a 25 yd/length pool). In reality, I should have projected something 10% slower, like 5:10 or something. So, when I saw that I actually did a 5:03 for the swim I was both bummed that I hadn’t met my projection, and embarassed that I held a couple of faster swimmers up behind me (though not too bad since I’m sure they profitted by drafting off me for a bit).

So, it can make a difference – thanks for enlightening me. And making me feel good to realize that I beat what my adjusted projection in last years’ tri swim should have been.

Pete L.
    Participant

and danpatgal, that’s what this thread is about. bringing up the difference, and wondering as a group how significant it is.

Sandman
    Participant
    Pete L. wrote:
    How much faster are you on a 50 yard lap than a 50 meter lap? I’m about 4 strokes less (32 vs. 36) and 3-5 seconds faster.

What are your experiences with this?

Note: Kylie corrects me later in the thread, I had them flipped

When I was an age group swimmer decades ago, I had this slide rule that would convert times from yards to meters and vice versa. Meters(long course) ended up being 7 to 8 seconds slower/ 100 than a short course 25 yard pool. So if I swam a 200 SC in 2:00, the meters LC time would be 2:16.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The forum ‘Swimming’ is closed to new topics and replies.