37 days left, and I’ve been too lazy

Pin it

Home Triathlon Forum Basic/Newbie Forum 37 days left, and I’ve been too lazy

This topic contains 13 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Avatar of meathead meathead 8 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    meathead
    Participant

When I wake up tomorrow, there will be 37 days until my first triathlon, which is an olympic. 4 months ago, I registered for it, thinking that 5 months is plenty of time to train for the event.

A month went by, and I thought, 4 months is still plenty of time to train. Another month went by, but I still had all summer to get it together.

Now the summer is more than half over, and with the triathlon coming up more quickly than I had ever imagined, I might be in trouble.

I’m in decent shape already – 5′-11″, 145 lbs, 6% bodyfat, and at 25 years old, my body can still handle plenty of stress. Biking 25 miles at 18-20 mph is not a problem by itself, nor is running 6.4 miles. Swimming is another story. And combining all three? Let’s not go there just yet.

So here’s my question: can I cram for a triathlon? It seems like a bad idea, but any and all advice is appreciated.

thehitman
    Participant

You never mentioned what sort of training you’ve been doing.
    Doesn’t sound like you’re too motivated.

If you’re not yet ready to even talk about the first leg of the event, you might be in trouble. You can’t mount your bike if you don’t finish the swim.

And do you have a couple of hours a day, or more, to do some serious training?

meathead
    Participant

I probably don’t seem too motivated because, until recently, I really wasn’t. Reading these forums has helped me get motivated. I’ve been doing long runs and bikes, about an hour each time, every day, and sometimes twice per day. Some pool swimming has been mixed in as well.

I should be able to finish the swim. I’m just slow and my technique needs work. I’ll be getting a wetsuit as soon as I settle on whether I want sleeves, and then I’ll be trying open water swims.

Is 15 hrs/week a good training goal from here on out? Or should I be trying for more?

tri_newbie_nerd
    Participant

15 hrs/ a week- good lord!!!! If you plan to train efficiently and not just hapazardly, I bet you can get away with half that and still have a decent race.

Of course, that would also depend on whether your goal is just to finish or to place or go for a PR.

And it should be mentioned, just in case it wasn’t clear from my screen name, I’m a n00b. So my advice may not be worth much. But 15 hours/wk seems like alot for an olympic distance event.

tri-ac
    Participant

i’ve put in anywhere from 4-8hrs of exercise time a week for my olympic races this year (first timer). I’d think you can probably do the same.

at this point, being consistent from here on out is important to get something out of it. and don’t forget to taper that last week…

meathead
    Participant

I will try to do 10 hours. Any more will be a bonus.

I figured 15 hours was a reasonable number, just because I want to make the most of the few remaining weeks. I was aiming for 2 hours of training per day, six days per week. That’s only 12, but I rounded up, so to speak.

Whoever said the triathlon humbles you was right. I feel like I still have so much to learn!

Atropos
    Participant

In my experience, if you can do the distance of each leg of a Tri in training (swim 1500m one day, bike 40k one day, run 10k) then you can combine them all in a race. Ideally of course you want to do more than that so your body is prepared, but in the end all you’re really racing against is yourself. Walk if you have to. Slow down on the bike if you’re getting too tired.

Just enjoy yourself out there.:)

Triguy98
    Participant
    meathead wrote:
    I figured 15 hours was a reasonable number, just because I want to make the most of the few remaining weeks. I was aiming for 2 hours of training per day, six days per week. That’s only 12, but I rounded up, so to speak.

This is would put you on the path to destruction and injury. Never try training for an endurance event by crash training. Stick to 10 hours or less a week untill the event and then see how you did and decide your future from there. Dont blow yourself up before you even hit the start line.

thehitman
    Participant
    Triguy98 wrote:
    This is would put you on the path to destruction and injury. Never try training for an endurance event by crash training. Stick to 10 hours or less a week untill the event and then see how you did and decide your future from there. Dont blow yourself up before you even hit the start line.

I diasagree. I don’t see how anyone could consider a couple hours a day “crash training.” If I had to choose between 14 or 15 hours a week as opposed to 4-8 (as mentioned by another poster) I’d go with the former. An hour and a half a day (app 10 hrs/wk), to me, seem to be fairly conservative.

Triguy98
    Participant

If someone has not been training seriously, over 10 hours a week is a bit. The event is also an Oly, which doesnt require nearly as much. I would do more higher quality work than excessive hours. Obviously 4 is WAY too little, but 15 is too much, IMHO. When you are getting into that kind of time, it is because you are loging a lot of distance and in this short of time, lsd isnt gonna do much good. Better to stick with intermediate stuff and LSD days of 25% longer than the individual events.

tbctbc
    Participant

If you have been training more than an hour a day every day, then I have no idea why you say that you haven’t been motivated…good grief!! I train 6 days a week for at most 2 hours (usually 1-1.5 hours a day when I’m not doing bricks), and I thought I was doing a LOT!

15 probably wont be much more for you if you are already doing 8-10 or so on average…but I just don’t think that what you have been doing can be considered very little training…that is a LOT!

christri25
    Participant

i would think running leads to most injuries so that is where you would want to be super careful. run on some sort of level off road path.

christri25
    Participant

on another note …. as a triathlete, try to refrain from using the word ‘ lazy ‘ ! as most triathletes are not lazy getting up at 5AM to get in a morning workout and then getting that workout in at 7pm after a 10 hour workday … sorry you are having trouble getting motivated. thats the thing about most triathletes they are super motivated. maybe this is the wrong sport or activity for you.

meathead
    Participant

This week was finally a good one for training. I did about 9 hours, including 4 sessions at 6 am. That’s much better than the 4 hours I’ve averaged before. I’ll look to build on that this coming week and add a couple bricks as well.

Thanks for all the replies. I’m out to prove that I can do this.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.