— Forum Discussions —

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
the staring man's picture
Morning routine question

Hi all,

I have a question regarding morning nutrition. My morning work out does not allow me efficient time to return home for breakfast, so its pack and go. My current routine consist of oatmeal, perhaps a bagel with peanut butter. So lots a carbs but little protein. I would like hear what some your routines are.

Thanks,

Rob

gfd
gfd's picture
Up at 5:00. Two cups of

Up at 5:00. Two cups of coffee and dry multiple-grain cheerios. Workout for an hour. Glass of skim milk and all-natural peanut butter and jelly on wheat bread post workout. I never get sick of it.

tri-ac's picture
rob, yours sounds like mine

rob, yours sounds like mine

dkhartung's picture
I tend to work out first

I tend to work out first before eating. I'll typically have a smoothie (banana, greek yogurt, OJ, blueberries) on the way in to the office, and then a light snack around 10:00 (banana chips, almonds, raisins, lo-fat granola).
If I'm able to be home after the workout, my breakfast looks pretty similar to yours (oatmeal with blueberries, and one of those wholegrain thin rounds with peanut butter rather thana bagel).
I'm finding that my weight is moving down a bit since I started to time my macronutrients a bit differently; i.e. some protein with each meal but mornings are more focused on carbs and evenings towards proteins and veggies).

robmathews66's picture
Cup of Earl Gray Tea and a

Cup of Earl Gray Tea and a Banana before hitting the pool.

hamlet_cat's picture
I usually don't eat before a

I usually don't eat before a swim workout, but it is early from 6-7am. I will drink about 1/2 cup OJ and take water. Then when I get home I will eat oatmeal with milk and a banana. I tend to only eat a significant amount of protein at night as well.

beads1985's picture
If you pack and go. Pack a

If you pack and go. Pack a turkey sandwich and a bottle of milk(or choc milk) ;-)

beads1985's picture
A couple of hard boiled eggs

A couple of hard boiled eggs would work too

jnrice's picture
yeah, if you are concerned

yeah, if you are concerned with protein, pack some. Peanut butter, eggs, a bar, milk, you get the point. I don't exercise in the AM. It drives me nuts. I would rather run at midnight with a head lamp than hit the pool at 5AM.

Amphibious Triton's picture
Coffee and peanut butter

Coffee and peanut butter toast.

Simon - 529IronMan.com's picture
AM Pre-workout = bar +

AM
Pre-workout = bar + banana
After workout = oatmeal + lovely smoothie.
Followed by a cup of joe.
Or two.

amphibops's picture
One option that I've used in

One option that I've used in the past but don't have to do anymore is packing a bowl of cereal in a plastic bowl with cover and also taking a small container of milk in a small cooler bag. Put the spoon right on top of the cereal when you pack it.

If possible, get a little fridge at work and put your milk in there and then all you have to do is take your cereal everyday. Obviously, try to store your cereal at work if possible to make it even easier.

I pack lots of fruit, too, and keep a stash of oatmeal and "filler" bars in my desk.

Swimming in the morning makes me absolutely starving the rest of the day, so I have to make sure to pack enough food for the day.

Merchant46's picture
I rarely work out in the

I rarely work out in the morning, but am similarly pressed for time. My breakfast consists of a veggie omelet that the deli across the street cooks for me each morning. I'll also have a piece of fruit or some celery and carrot sticks. It costs more, but I'm hard-pressed to think of anything more worth spending my extra money on. If I want to indulge occasionally, I'll add cheese and bacon to it, which is actually healthier than ingesting grains. Most endurance athletes over-carb and over-sugar.

Grains, particularly wheat and barley, are very bad for you. We're not evolved to digest grass seed. It basically causes your intestines to open up, leaking your fecal matter into your body. This causes inflammation, which is the cause of a whole spectrum of diseases from several forms of cancer to arthritis to heart ailments. Sugar is bad for you as well. Both should be generally avoided, though the occasional indulgence (like 1x per week) isn't very harmful.

Bread and beer are particularly unhealthy, because they also contain yeast, which has similar inflammatory effects. Donuts and other pastries are the holy grail of death, because they add sugar to boot.

Merchant46's picture
BTW, most peanut butter is

BTW, most peanut butter is bad for you as well, since it is loaded with vegetable oil and sugar. Natural peanut butter is a much better alternative, since it contains neither. While expensive, almond butter has a healthier fat profile if it's prepared with tropical oils (most are) and if sugar content is limited.

dkhartung's picture
If I have to give up beer

If I have to give up beer and pasta, I quit. Life's too short. All things in moderation

hamlet_cat's picture
@merchant46. Is that a

@merchant46. Is that a paleolithic diet that you follow? Someone posted something about that awhile back and I went online and did some research on it. It mentioned that people leave out the grains for the reason you suggested, we weren't evolved to eat them. What do you eat for carbs then? I don't eat much sugar but I do eat a lot of breads and grains. I can't imagine leaving out breads and grains, I feel like I would starve.

Merchant46's picture
Hi hamlet_cat. Yes I do

Hi hamlet_cat. Yes I do follow a paleo diet. I get most of my carbs from fruits and vegetables. To get that "full" feeling, I substitute monosaturated fats (primarily avocados and almonds), and sometimes saturated fats, like cheese or by adding coconut milk to a protein shake. I do allow myself a "cheat" once a week. Funny, it usually ends up being a few beers. I don't do as much S/B/R as most people on this board, so I do a pretty conventional paleo diet. My understanding is that there are adjustments endurance athletes should make since they burn more, but I don't know the specifics. I think Joe Friel wrote a book about it.

? Top