So the spare tire on the back of the car is never a good place to put a Garmin. I think that every time I do it. Usually it is for getting reception, and then I go run, and risk is fairly low. Last night it was after a run to take out the trash. And the 4am airport ride this morning was the end of the backup Garmin. I found it near the side of the road a couple hours later on my way to work.
I am trying to decide if I'm more sad that it was the final (of 3) Forerunner 301 watches that have been in my house since I started tris way back in the day, or the 2 weeks of run training that was not yet downloaded. I am definitely glad I got my 27 mile adventure run off there already!
But I'm fortunate... my regular training watch has been a 310xt for a while... and it is safe in Garmin's hands for a repair and should be on its way back tomorrow and in time for my next race. The 301s had been handed down to my husband... so I guess he is finally going to have to replace the battery in his Polar. Or run watchless as he has done for a month or so since the 310xt went loopy.
Makes me think though how I really don't want to know my speed, distance, etc the whole time I run. But I do like to have the data for training logs and because I'm a map geek and all that good stuff... and I am not good at "just not looking" if I have a Garmin. Any one know of a device that will record everything but not show me the info while I'm out running? Like a Forerunner, but with no screen? Or with GPS, but just not an advanced display, so it only shows time like a "real watch."Just curious.
And the records stands....
- First Garmin 301 -- finally got dropped too many times and now only powers on if attached to a computer.
- 2nd Garmin 301 -- I think that might be today's casualty (or else that was 3rd)
- 3rd Garmin 301 -- Got swam with in a reverse order sprint (I should have figured if my husband didn't see the hospital over 2-3 years of racing past it, going by 6 times each year, a watch wouldn't be safe from the water)
- 1st 310xt - pin came out on a run, screen cracked, and later it stopped recording distance (although it showed time). Warrantied.
- Replacement 310xt -- quit receiving satellite signals and is currently with Garmin to be warrantied.