— Forum Discussions —

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
Quincyceltic's picture
Joined: Nov 23 2008
Posts: 260
So this Kona thing, all hype right?

I noticed that the lottery opened today for World Championship in Kona 2011, my question is, is the lottery worth trying? A guy on my tri team won a slot this year but does anyone know the odds? I figure it is 1 in 3000 or so based on the usually amount of entries in a typical Iron event. I hate to throw 40.00 dollars out the window (+ 50.00 for 2 entries) and not have a legitimate shot. I am fairly new to tri's with my first Ironman next season at Lake Placid, however I went to Kona for my honeymoon in August and there is something special about the place, I can only imagine it come race week. So what do you guys and girls think good ROI?

TryScott's picture
Joined: Aug 5 2007
Posts: 1833
You know more about the

You know more about the island than I do if you been there. I can tell you that if it was not the world championship, and it was just another race, it would not top my list. In the top is either France or Germany. Something out West with mountains would be nice. Hawaii is above a lot of other IM locations for me since it's a vacation destination. The bad thing is it is one of the more expensive destinations.

Anton's picture
Joined: Mar 4 2005
Posts: 5350
I know a number of folks who

I know a number of folks who have raced at Kona (six, now that i think about it) They all feel it's an over rated race. Too hot , too windy, too far, too hyped up, too full of people who are full of themselves and too expensive. Pretty location, maybe, I'm with Scott...I'd rather do Switzerland or Germany or France or Austria...even the UK race! Hell, I'd do IMLP again before going to Kona.
You want to race in Kona? There used to be an HIM there. (Don't know if there still is , and I have to get to work) You don't have to qualify, you get to race on the course and it's all the fun and half the pain.

jarhead's picture
Joined: Jun 23 2009
Posts: 1113
They still have the HIM in

They still have the HIM in Kona... I believe its in April sometime. Overhyped? maybe. Depends on why you are wanting to race Kona, I guess. If you just wanna do the course, then yes very overhyped. If you wanna participate in the world championship race and it means that much to you, possibly. Me personally, I wanna race Kona to say that "Yes I raced Kona" and I qualified for it.

I think Kona is a reward for achieving something great (qualifying). That's just my take. I mean why go to Kona on a lottery. That's like saying I played in the PGA based on some raffle that I won when I bought a pack of golf balls.

Don't get me wrong. I've been on both sides of this debate. But it seems that the more you do IM events the more you realize that racing Kona isn't all that, and it's more about the achievement then the race.

Chances are about 1 in 300 to get a Kona slot.

dkhartung's picture
Joined: Jan 7 2009
Posts: 1174
jarhead wrote: I think Kona

[quote=jarhead]
I think Kona is a reward for achieving something great (qualifying).
[/quote]
+1
I'm in a fiesty mood, so I'll throw it out there and let folks flame me (since it's the time of year for this discussion, again).

You wanna race Kona? Race an IM, really fast, and qualify for the right to compete in the World Championships. Getting to Kona on the lottery is for guys riding P4s with Zipp disc wheels who struggle to hold 17 mph, downhill.

NotAsFast's picture
Joined: Oct 17 2005
Posts: 574
dkhartung wrote:......... is

[quote=dkhartung]......... is for guys riding P4s with Zipp disc wheels who struggle to hold 17 mph, downhill.........
[/quote]

While I agree that the lottery is the easy way in, I disagree with this comment. If they can afford it and it makes them feel special, then let them spend the money and support the further development of the cycling industry to the benefit of us all.

My 2 cents worth.

gfd
gfd's picture
Joined: Jan 28 2006
Posts: 3087
I'm not a supporter of the

I'm not a supporter of the lottery. I would feel out of place racing with the best in the world when I clearly am not.
The course could be anywhere and because of the history, the fact that it is the World Championship, and that you should have to qualify are the reasons why it would be so special to compete there.

KitKat's picture
Joined: Jan 30 2007
Posts: 737
gfd wrote:I'm not a

[quote=gfd]I'm not a supporter of the lottery. I would feel out of place racing with the best in the world when I clearly am not.
The course could be anywhere and because of the history, the fact that it is the World Championship, and that you should have to qualify are the reasons why it would be so special to compete there.
[/quote]

Couldn't have said it better myself.

It's the World Championship because it's where Ironman originated.

TryScott's picture
Joined: Aug 5 2007
Posts: 1833
Sounds like a tired

Sounds like a tired argument.

"The place where IM was born will always be available via lottery for the average thrill seeker the way the original ironmen wanted."
vs
"People sacrifice and work hard to get to the mecca of endurance and others should not be able to get a free ride."

Here's my view. It gives people something to aim for. Golf has a goal of shooting your age. Boston and NY marathon has time goals to qualify. Some people have run a 400m in less seconds than their age in years. Goals are a good thing even if you don't achieve it.

christri25's picture
Joined: Feb 5 2005
Posts: 1407
I agree the lotto to get

I agree the lotto to get into the World Champ is pretty lame. But If they did not let in all the slow pokes NBC would never air the event. The PRO's get so little coverage when they broadcast ...that always bothered me.

robmathews66's picture
Joined: Dec 17 2009
Posts: 529
Personally I find it utterly

Personally I find it utterly staggering that you can get in to a World Championship Event by a lottery, is this just an exercise in money making by the organisers? I had a friend that qualified two years ago and just to qualify for him was like the ultimate achievement in his tri career. If I won a ticket to Kona through a lottery I would feel like a fraud. I doubt that I will ever win one through racing but the dream has got be be there.

Rob

Anton's picture
Joined: Mar 4 2005
Posts: 5350
Remember...it's a "World

Remember...it's a "World Championship" only because WTC says it is.
It would be if you got a bunch of friends together and said your event was the world championship.
It's the "Big Thing" only because of self promotion and marketing. What do you think all those well done TV shows are about?
Oh, and there are other ways to get in than qualifying or a lottery. You can buy your way in.
The thing that gets me is that you can qualify at an event of half the distance. Imaging...being able to qualify for Boston by running a half marathon or qualifying for the Olympic Marathon by doing a half!

dkhartung's picture
Joined: Jan 7 2009
Posts: 1174
Anton wrote:Remember...it's

[quote=Anton]Remember...it's a "World Championship" only because WTC says it is.
[/quote]

Agreed, but it's also the World Championship because everyone who is anyone at the top echelons of long course triathlon is there to win. I don't think I've ever hear d someone at Kona say "I'm here, but I'm just training through it as a 'B' race as part of my preparation to tear it up at IM Arizona."

TryScott's picture
Joined: Aug 5 2007
Posts: 1833
Anton wrote: The thing that

[quote=Anton]
The thing that gets me is that you can qualify at an event of half the distance. Imaging...being able to qualify for Boston by running a half marathon or qualifying for the Olympic Marathon by doing a half! [/quote]
Not that hard to imagine. That's exactly what NY marathon allows. 2:55 full, or 1:23 half.

christri25's picture
Joined: Feb 5 2005
Posts: 1407
IRONMAN corp hijacked the

IRONMAN corp hijacked the sport but people feel like they have to do "Ironman" ... I mean take for example the Ironman in clermont florida .. Fred the race director has put on some of the finest triathlons in the USA... he has been doing it for 25 years I bet.... Although he is not allowed to call his race a "Ironman" even though it is the full distance people would rather go and do the "Ironman Brand" .. So yes I agree with above who said its also about the money, marketing etc ........

olivestri's picture
Joined: Jan 14 2008
Posts: 257
I don't mind the lottery. I

I don't mind the lottery. I think I'd rather qualify, but the lottery is just another chance to give some random people the opportunity to do something special. The World Championship aspect of the race is not diminished at all by allowing a handful of people to play on the same course.

jarhead's picture
Joined: Jun 23 2009
Posts: 1113
olivestri wrote:I don't mind

[quote=olivestri]I don't mind the lottery. I think I'd rather qualify, but the lottery is just another chance to give some random people the opportunity to do something special. The World Championship aspect of the race is not diminished at all by allowing a handful of people to play on the same course. [/quote]

They can play on the same course in April/ May in the HIM that is done there. If they wanna do "something special" do another IRONMAN, or how bout this: Work you tail off, and get a slot?

Anton's picture
Joined: Mar 4 2005
Posts: 5350
dkhartung wrote:Anton

[quote=dkhartung][quote=Anton]Remember...it's a "World Championship" only because WTC says it is.
[/quote]

Agreed, but it's also the World Championship because everyone who is anyone at the top echelons of long course triathlon is there to win. I don't think I've ever hear d someone at Kona say "I'm here, but I'm just training through it as a 'B' race as part of my preparation to tear it up at IM Arizona."[/quote]

The top echelon are there for the prize money and other monies that come with placing well.
What if someone held a similar event at a better venue the same weekend and doubled the prize money?

Anton's picture
Joined: Mar 4 2005
Posts: 5350
TryScott wrote:Anton

[quote=TryScott][quote=Anton]
The thing that gets me is that you can qualify at an event of half the distance. Imaging...being able to qualify for Boston by running a half marathon or qualifying for the Olympic Marathon by doing a half! [/quote]
Not that hard to imagine. That's exactly what NY marathon allows. 2:55 full, or 1:23 half.[/quote]
Still hard to imagine. That's NY, which doesn't have nearly the panache of Boston, the de facto Marathon World Championship that's egalitarian enough to allow good ag'ers....I don't hear folks trying year after year to get into NY! And if your a club member there are special considerations. Point still stands for the Olympics. Well...there is Fukuoka International Marathon Championships : For men "A" Group: 2:27 or a half in 1:05. "B" group 2:42. No Half Marathon consideration and there are no age groups. Those times are for everyone.

trekrider's picture
Joined: Sep 26 2009
Posts: 180
Anton wrote:Remember...it's

[quote=Anton]Remember...it's a "World Championship" only because WTC says it is.

The thing that gets me is that you can qualify at an event of half the distance. Imaging...being able to qualify for Boston by running a half marathon or qualifying for the Olympic Marathon by doing a half! [/quote]

My boss qualified for Boston in the early 80's by running one of their "sprint qualifiers". You had to run 10 miles under an hour to qualify. He did and the first marathon he EVER did was Boston. Kinda ironic. He ended up qualifying in the New York and still broke 3 hours in his first Boston. Im sure they dont do that now. Actually Next year they are dopping the qualifying times by ABOUT 10 MINUTES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

? Top