— Forum Discussions —

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
yasa86's picture
Abu Dhabi International Triathlon

Hi everyone, Im new to triathlons ( only did 2 sprints ) Ive been running for 10 years now. Currently, Im training for the Abu dhabi triathlon in March 2010 with a unique distance of 1.5kms,100kms,and 10kms. My strength is the running, and not so much on the bike (my skinny legs dont help me here) How long do u think 100kms would take an average person to do in a triathlon? I tried to look for similar triathlon race results but was not lucky, and i havent yet timed myself for the 100km ride. Due to the beautiful weather here ( 30cms of snow with wind gusts of 40km/hr) i will only be able to go on my bike after Jan 14 (moving to the UAE!!! ) that leaves me only about 2 months of bike training :(, could really use some expert advice about how to train in this marvelous weather for the bike portion of the race n more!
thanks all! :)
Yasmin

mwconstruct1972 (not verified)
mwconstruct1972's picture
100km is about 6 miles

100km is about 6 miles longer than the 56 mile bike in a Half Iron distance race. You should be able to find plenty of races to compare at that distance. I think "average" would be between 3 and 4 hours for mere mortals. As far as winter training- get a trainer or a stationary bike and spin away. Build conservatively over the winter (no more than 10% increase per week) and the race in the spring should be no problem.

Good luck

VANZK's picture
Depends on course,

Depends on course, conditions..i.e heat,wind...but i would say for top age groupers around 2.5hrs

CadenceGuy's picture
mwconstruct1972 wrote:100km

[quote=mwconstruct1972]100km is about 6 miles longer than the 56 mile bike in a Half Iron distance race. You should be able to find plenty of races to compare at that distance. I think "average" would be between 3 and 4 hours for mere mortals. As far as winter training- get a trainer or a stationary bike and spin away. Build conservatively over the winter (no more than 10% increase per week) and the race in the spring should be no problem.[/quote]

I agree with 3-4 hours for mere mortals, but dont kid yourself for having 'skinny' legs. I have what 'I' would consider 'skinny' legs and am in no way shorted on what I can produce in terms of MPH, you just have to put the time in on the saddle with the right amount of strength work and intervals. I disagree with the 10% rule on the bike. You can add mileage to the bike in increments larger then 10% because of the lack of impact the bike has. Feel free to just start riding =) Also, take a look at the HIM training log here on the site, maybe adjust it a little because of the adjusted distances youll be racing but it should suit you just fine. Good luck!

yasa86's picture
thanx everyone for your

thanx everyone for your replies. Im a bit more confident about the bike portion now :) I shall check out the HIM timings to compare myself.
Cheers

GaryTimTim's picture
Definitely get an indoor

Definitely get an indoor trainer...you're gonna want it in the UAE, not only in Quebec, but once you get to UAE. Even though it's warm the drivers/traffic/roads are insane. I've seen some people on training rides on Friday mornings when it's super quite around town (Abu Dhabi) but on weekdays and the like you'll appreciate the convenience of being able to just hop on the trainer.

And today it's actually a bit rainy in Abu Dhabi...so it's not all sunshine (it can get really sandy as well).

Also, they're not skinny legs...they're aero-legs, use it!

yasa86's picture
yes will definetly get one,

yes will definetly get one, do you know how much they sell in Abu Dhabi? yes its quite rainy saw some pics of floods around the khaldiya area!
thanx for the advice Gary!

? Top