— Forum Discussions —

470 posts / 0 new
Last post
gfd
gfd's picture
30 Days of Running

Preface:
As with all the "challenges" presented in the recent past, participate as much or as little as you feel comfortable with. The more that are involved the more motivating and fun it becomes.

Possible Goals:
To run as much as possible in the month of November.
To run as least 1 mile or 1 kilometer for 30 days straight.
To improve running base for the long winter of tri base training or whatever else you are into.
To get outside as much as possible before some of our more Northerly located friends get snowed in.
Any other goals are welcome.

Not a contest, unless it is a friendly contest to motivate each one another.
1K=1point
1mile=2 points
Not a perfect system, I know.
.5 mile can be rounded up for a point. ex. 1.5 miles=3 points
Keep track of daily and monthly totals on this thread.

This has been motivating and fun in the past. I believe BBB was the originator. Maybe he will make a dramatic surprise return to Trifuel just to be a part of the challenge.

Good luck. Have fun.

krazyfranco's picture
Starting November 1, I

Starting November 1, I presume?

All challenge participants who deem themselves worthy (by their own standards) can win a certificate, authenticated by Anton, to forever memorialize their accomplishment.

[img]http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs118.snc3/16545_5955852056...

Anton's picture
Oh you know I'm in! Although

Oh you know I'm in!
Although I don't see myself as Challenge Coordinator. This was Garen's idea. If you insist on slapping my name on this perhaps..."Head Runnin' Fool" or "LaufMeister"

jtrimom's picture
Count me in! I can't resist

Count me in! I can't resist a challenge :)

gfd
gfd's picture
Yes, November 1 it

Yes, November 1 it begins.

Anton, "Head Running Fool" isn't bad. I'm sure some of the witty minds here can come up with some more ideas.

tonymeans's picture
Hey can I join in as well

Hey can I join in as well

gfd
gfd's picture
tonymeans wrote:Hey can I

[quote=tonymeans]Hey can I join in as well[/quote]

All are welcome. Start up on Sunday.

TonisTri's picture
I'm in.

I'm in.

cayman's picture
Count me in.

Count me in.

KitKat's picture
I'll give it a go

I'll give it a go

skunkworxz's picture
sweet, i'm in. i need

sweet, i'm in. i need something to get me headed into winter.

maui7301's picture
I´m in.

I´m in.

snail_male's picture
The answer's probably

The answer's probably somewhere on the sliding scale between

Use common sense _______________________________ HTFU

but I'll ask it anyway: as a relative newcomer to running, would anyone advise avoiding this challenge without a solid running base?

I've had a lifetime of lousy knee issues, and am thrilled with the results I've had in changing my approach to this year by using the 10% rule and so forth. I've sort of seen 2009 as my base-building year. Goals for next season are to work up to an A race effort in the Muskoka HIM in Sept.

My question for the Trifuel running gurus is: should we all, ultimately, strive to run daily, if only for short distances, or is this more for seasoned runners? I understood the impacts involved required rest days and am leery of the temptations to keep up with others [i]especially if I can earn a certificate endorsed by Anton[/i]. It's one thing to go daily with core - and certainly "tapering" - but my knees quiver at the thought of this challenge...

jsk85's picture
I'm in...one of my offseason

I'm in...one of my offseason objectives is a 100 day run streak...currently through day 23 as of yesterday...so this will fit in perfetly.

Snail-male...if you aren't currently injured and have a decent aerobic base...I don't see any reason why you shouldn't be able to run at least 1 mile every day.
That being said, it is smart for all of us to take some of these days VERY EASY and constantly monitor our leg health. I had to pull out of last year's 30 in 30 december running challenge with a hip issue...took the rest of the month off of running, in fact. You need to be able to listen to your body and scale down or quit the challenge if you're at the point of risking injury

MillMan221's picture
Sounds like a great way to

Sounds like a great way to build base.

I'm in. I took October "off" and did only a few runs, so time to get back into it.

Funny though, that I still have that all-over-body-soreness-fatigue feeling.

TonisTri's picture
Snail, on these challenges

Snail, on these challenges you will always see some folks trying to win with the most points. Hey, it's a bunch of crazy competitive triathletes after all! But you also see a bunch of folks like me. I love the camaraderie. And while I am very self motivated, sometimes being in the challenges gives me that little extra push to log miles or core or whatever if I might have skipped it otherwise.

Listen to your body. Go long when you feel like it. Shoot for at least a mile everyday, but obviously take a rest day if you feel real pain and then rejoin us when you can. Maybe you can get a "Nice Try!" certificate from Anton. : )

spacemonkey's picture
I'm in-

I'm in-

wannakona's picture
I'm in, though i know i will

I'm in, though i know i will have to miss a couple days of running.

Konstantin
www.TriBug.com

snail_male's picture
Okay, I'm in. Thanks for the

Okay, I'm in. Thanks for the input folks.
I haven't told my knees about it yet. I might let on that we're just stepping out for a bit each day - like maybe mowing the lawn, or shopping for groceries - and then just pick up the pace...

chekmarks's picture
i'm in, but i have a 50k

i'm in, but i have a 50k scheduled for the first weekend. i already know i am taking the next day off...

jtrimom's picture
chekmarks wrote:i'm in, but

[quote=chekmarks]i'm in, but i have a 50k scheduled for the first weekend. i already know i am taking the next day off... [/quote]

well, then, you can't play! :P just kidding :)

TryScott's picture
Last year's December running

Last year's December running challenge helped me a lot. Every day I knew I was going to run, so the thought of altering my training because I didn't feel like training on a given day was not an option. Doubt I run the day after IM Cozumel, but if chekmarks can miss one day because of a race, so can I.

toni's picture
Been gone for awhile and

Been gone for awhile and missing the Trifuel community so count me in. It'll help with my marathon training. Also, holding out for the next 50 days of core.

Btw, GFD should be placed on the certificate as Head motivator.

PrinceofClydes's picture
How about Der

How about [i]Der Uberschlepper?[/i]

It's been regular downpour around here for two weeks and next week looks like more of the same with snow flurries thrown into the mix.
Can't ride the wheelsteed so of course I'll play.

PoC

"What you you get when you suffer? You get results!" - Paul Sherwin

krazyfranco's picture
toni wrote:Btw, GFD should

[quote=toni]Btw, GFD should be placed on the certificate as Head motivator. [/quote]

Done.

SAchris's picture
I'm in, I need the

I'm in, I need the motivation to run.

beads1985's picture
I am in, and if you ran big

I am in, and if you ran big the day before you can just do a short run the day after to loosen up.

tri-ac's picture
i've been alternating

i've been alternating bike/run for my commuting so i'm getting almost a run a day, but I think i'll watch from the sidelines on this one.

it's a good opportunity to build some run base...good challenge for everyone!

Anton's picture
PrinceofClydes wrote:How

[quote=PrinceofClydes]How about [i]Der Uberschlepper?[/i]

It's been regular downpour around here for two weeks and next week looks like more of the same with snow flurries thrown into the mix.
Can't ride the wheelsteed so of course I'll play.

PoC[/quote]
Uber Schlepper! I love it! Although I partial to Lauf Meister...

kevinb421's picture
November 1st I have a 24

November 1st I have a 24 hour race, I may not win this but I plan on starting in first place!

Oh and I'm in.

Anton's picture
kevinb421 wrote:November 1st

[quote=kevinb421]November 1st I have a 24 hour race, I may not win this but I plan on starting in first place!

Oh and I'm in.[/quote]
24, nice!...Grey's Lake? Have a good "day"!

Pages

? Top