— Forum Discussions —

Very tight hamstring...behind the knee pain?

Hello everyone!
I have just made my way to London for my semester abroad - the plane ride was about 3 hours from dallas to Dulles, then about 6 hours from Dulles to London. I don't know if it was tight before then, but my left hamstring has been uber-tight (especially right behind the knee) , and i'm kind of concerned...I went for my run this morning anyway, and i could just feel the tightness pretty much every stride. I've been doing stretches, and I was wondering if that is the only way that I can have my leg calm down! my right leg is alright, its just my left leg that seems to be very tight regardless of whether i'm walking, running, or even just standing there.
thanks all.

trying to avoid an injury,
Amish

I think I heard behind the knee pain is a sign of your seat being too low.
Did you take apart your bike to get there?

I actually didn't bring my bike! sadly... I guess it will work itself out eventually, right? with some proper stretching

A week ago I had a similar injury. Extremely tight muscle causing pain behind my right knee. The pain seemed to originate at the very top of my calf and hurt throughout the entire back part of the knee.

Anyway, it is now a week later and the pain is gone. My remedy was pretty straight forward. I did a number of calf and hamstring stretches for 5 - 10 minutes 4 - 5 times a day. I also iced and messaged the area 3 - 4 times a day. At night I would throw some biofreeze on and sleep in compression socks. I also stuck to swimming and did no running or cycling for 4 days.

I can't tell you which of these items actually resulted in relieving the pain but the combination seemed to work for me. Good luck and hope this helps.

[quote=songmak]A week ago I had a similar injury. Extremely tight muscle causing pain behind my right knee. The pain seemed to originate at the very top of my calf and hurt throughout the entire back part of the knee.

Anyway, it is now a week later and the pain is gone. My remedy was pretty straight forward. I did a number of calf and hamstring stretches for 5 - 10 minutes 4 - 5 times a day. I also iced and messaged the area 3 - 4 times a day. At night I would throw some biofreeze on and sleep in compression socks. I also stuck to swimming and did no running or cycling for 4 days.

I can't tell you which of these items actually resulted in relieving the pain but the combination seemed to work for me. Good luck and hope this helps. [/quote]

+1 yeah, give your leg some time. you sat on a plane for about 1/2 of a day (literally) and sat for who knows how long on oh so comfortable plastic benches, buses, bla bla bla... you're legs undoubtedly hate you right now and the muscles have been smashed from being sat on. Think about it, no blood flow (nutrients), no exercise (a way to get rid of waste), and probably not much sleep (no chance to really rebuild!). That being said, take some time off. Massage is a great idea if you can find a good sports massage and make sure you walk to the bathroom a lot next time you fly. If it doesn't go away in a few days of if you loose feeling etc you might want to talk to an MD (are you on Nation Health Insurance over there?) to make sure it isn't a blood clot or something potentially horrific like that.

+1 time and rest, plus heat and ice , plus massage. If you can get someone else to do it for you it's more fun. The knee carries a lot of emotional stress, your new semester could be contributing. Just take your time and stretch.

thanks everyone...its been about a week now...its still strained, and I can't really keep off of my legs because its a 45 minute walk to class every morning (and 45 back) - and alot of standing on the feet during the day... i've been stretching, and I've iced a couple times... i'm really hoping there isn't something serious wrong with it. would swimming help or hurt? i'm trying so hard to hide the mental freakout going on behind the scenes....ugh I just wish it would go away!

? Top