— Forum Discussions —

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Bird's picture
10% rule

So, I know that to avoid overuse injuries, etc that we should only increase run volume by 10% each week. How does everyone apply this advice, though? Do you just apply this rule to your long run, or also to your total weekly run volume? Also, do people follow this rule for the other disciplines, or just the run?

I have been applying it very strictly to my long runs each week, but try to be mindful of it on the bike as well. What does everyone else do? Thanks!

NICK10980's picture
I opened this post thinking

I opened this post thinking about another 10% rule.
You must be 10% smarter than the equipment your trying to use.
As far as your 10% rule, I usually try, notice the key word is try, to follow it for the run only.

Anton's picture
I've never had a problem

I've never had a problem going above 10% in the pool or on the bike and that's probably because they're non-load bearing activities.
As to the run...I stick as close as possible to increasing only by the 10. Yes, I do go above that sometimes and have done so without problems for years. When I do go above it's not by much...
If you look at many marathon training programs they don't follow it. Example: Your long run this week is 12 so a 10% increase would be 1.2% for a total of 13.2. Rarely do programs go up in increments like that. They might go from 12 to 15 say.
There are those that say the 10% rule is applied to weekly milage, not the long run...30 this week, 33 next, that sort of thing.
Throw into the mix...triathlon running programs that usually are done on time. They never follow a 10% rule and always seem to follow a :15 or :30 time increase...
All that said...Keep your increases small and manageable...no big bites. A big bite now can come back and bite you in the a**! (Believe me, I know!)

Nick! I love that "...10% smarter than the equipment you're trying to use." Priceless!

TriSooner's picture
Anton wrote:I've never had a

[quote=Anton]I've never had a problem going above 10% in the pool or on the bike and that's probably because they're non-load bearing activities.[/quote]

+1 And I think that ideally would apply to both 1) weekly volume and 2) long run. And Anton, don't teachers just stay 10% ahead of their students? :)

TryScott's picture
I'd be curious to find any

I'd be curious to find any scientific evidence that the 10% rule means anything at all. I think a coach invented it on the fly at a practice, and it stuck. Why isn't it the 9% rule or 14.6% rule? I'll tell you why. It's easier to do the math when working with 10%.

If you are focused on speed work, should you increase mileage at the same rate as if you are doing long slow work? Heck no! What about recovery? Are you sitting on the couch for recovery, or doing low impact exercises and massages?

From now on I'm going to call it the "between 2% and 25%" rule. There's a lot of factors that can determine how much you can safely increase your running mileage.

dbos2002's picture
+1 to Anton and TriSooner.

+1 to Anton and TriSooner. From experience, I apply the 10% rule to both long runs and weekly total miles (running). As others have said, it doesnt apply as much to swimming and biking because they are lower impact. I've seen quite a few people increase mileage too quickly and end up with overuse injuries. And it put me in physical therapy for a few months as well.

sasquatch's picture
All of the information I

All of the information I have seen indicates you should be building at about a 10% average per week, so If you increase your mileage by 20% one week then leave it status quo for the next. This way you can also account for recovery weeks, etc. I think when you look at many of the plans, you'll see that they come fairly close to a 10% average increase.

PrinceofClydes's picture
Yo! It's about balancing

Yo! It's about balancing intensity and volume for safety.
If you increase training volumes or intensity by too much, too quickly, you risk injury.

Could you be the exception? Sure.
But I wouldn't count on it as a long term plan.

Go ahead, increase your running distance by 10 or 15 kilometres all at once, that's what you do on race day, after all.
[i]Just remember to back off on the intensity.[/i]

I fell behind in my IMC run prep and one Saturday about a month ago, I decided to run into town my usual bike commute, 24kms. It would be my longest run of the year by 14kms.
So I made sure I walked and jogged and drank enough water to avoid cramping, etc.
It worked out fine.
I got the time on my legs, about 3 hours, that I wanted. I took a 20 minute break at the 14k mark for coffee and a pastry and the next day went for an easy spin on the bike to help recovery.

PoC

"What you you get when you suffer? You get results!" - Paul Sherwin

fastdog5's picture
dbos2002 wrote:+1 to Anton

[quote=dbos2002]+1 to Anton and TriSooner. From experience, I apply the 10% rule to both long runs and weekly total miles (running). As others have said, it doesnt apply as much to swimming and biking because they are lower impact. I've seen quite a few people increase mileage too quickly and end up with overuse injuries. And it put me in physical therapy for a few months as well.[/quote]

Yep, it's both long run & weekly mileage.

Bird's picture
I took a 20 minute break at

I took a 20 minute break at the 14k mark for coffee and a pastry....

PoC
[/quote]
Great idea...yum!

PrinceofClydes's picture
Bird wrote: I took a 20

[quote=Bird]

PoC
[/quote]
Great idea...yum![/quote]

Damn straight. Ya gotta carb up to go the distance.

:)

PoC

TryScott's picture
It took a few seconds, but I

It took a few seconds, but I finally found something that is somewhat scientific about the 10% rule. According to the results, the rule is bogus.

Scientific study of 10% rule

Some of you may think that this must be true because you have heard it so many times and so many places. You are right! If you hear something enough, it becomes true. William James (1842-1910) The father of modern Psychology "There's nothing so absurd that if you repeat it often enough, people will believe it."

Bird's picture
PrinceofClydes wrote:Bird

[quote=PrinceofClydes][quote=Bird]

PoC
[/quote]
Great idea...yum![/quote]

Damn straight. Ya gotta carb up to go the distance.

:)

PoC[/quote]

You know, I've been using that same philosophy during Friday night happy hour (often the plural:hours)...its a great chance for carbo loading before the long weekend workouts!

PrinceofClydes's picture
Yeah, just don't forget that

Yeah, just don't forget that I DID go the 24kms.
heh.

PoC

Warrior's picture
TryScott wrote:It took a few

[quote=TryScott]It took a few seconds, but I finally found something that is somewhat scientific about the 10% rule. According to the results, the rule is bogus.

Scientific study of 10% rule

Some of you may think that this must be true because you have heard it so many times and so many places. You are right! If you hear something enough, it becomes true. William James (1842-1910) The father of modern Psychology "There's nothing so absurd that if you repeat it often enough, people will believe it."[/quote]

no new taxes
he has weapons of mass destruction
and I didn't have sex with that woman, these all come to mind, but as an injury carrier, I reckon I will try to stick to 10% rule, no matter how bogus it is, or frustrating to have to limit my run.

? Top