— Forum Discussions —

65 posts / 0 new
Last post
christri25's picture
Joined: Feb 5 2005
Posts: 1407
I hate walmart ......

So... I have asthma and have had asthma for a long time.... One of the best medicines available is a simple inhaler that has been around forever call that contains albeuterol. It is / was sold as a generic drug FOREVER until the .... Big Bad Gov't made all the albeuterol companies use a new CFC free chemical to propel the medicine out of the canister. So now for some reason a $12 inhaler is now 50 BUCKS. Not kidding. Same drug just over 100% more expensive.

Rejoice.... Now Walmart is advertising Ventolin for $9's once again. Now I have to deal with going to walmart to save some money? I would be happy to pay $20 someplace else that is how much I despise Walmart. I have called my local pharamacy at Publix and they are not price matching... It is still $45. Are you friggen kidding me ? Please don't make me go to walmart.

Signed,
Pissed of Ex-Thong wearin' triathlete.....

TryScott's picture
Joined: Aug 5 2007
Posts: 1833
Walmart is for poor people

Walmart is for poor people that probably don't even watch TV in HD. Someday I'm only going to shop at nothing but expensive places.

Wait, do you not like Wally World because you are a class above it, or because they are not part of a union? I can think of lots of sarcastic reasons to support unions. Go ahead and get me started...

brian669's picture
Joined: Feb 28 2008
Posts: 61
i hate walmart because every

i hate walmart because every a-hole in town is there.

christri25's picture
Joined: Feb 5 2005
Posts: 1407
TryScott wrote:Walmart is

[quote=TryScott]Walmart is for poor people that probably don't even watch TV in HD. Someday I'm only going to shop at nothing but expensive places.

Wait, do you not like Wally World because you are a class above it, or because they are not part of a union? I can think of lots of sarcastic reasons to support unions. Go ahead and get me started...[/quote]

TriScot ...Why and how does Walmart get the inhaler and turn a profit at 9 bucks while every other pharmacy is chargin 50 ? Something stinks and its not about unions and class warfare. Why does the inhaler go up 100% and its the same medicine ? Someone got juicy big fat bonus kickback for this whole fiasco. I don't like walmart because I like to buy local. I buy from the mom and pop shops Nothing about unions and class. I love going into my local ACE, the guy behind the counter knows my name and he knows Im painting the living room and he knows what I need need and how much I like to spend. he's not going to get me into the most expensive item but no the cheapest either. I like my local fish monger. He knows I like the non farm raised stuff. I like talking to my local bike parts guy. Sure I could buy my crap on Ebay but I like the service I get. Walmart only cares about money. If I got sick or family was hurt... The local people would help out if my house burned down or I needed a kidney. So, Screw walmart and How ever they got this deal.

ChadTM's picture
Joined: Jan 12 2009
Posts: 44
Do you hate walmart because

Do you hate walmart because they put mom and pop shops out of business? Or do you just hate them because they are so prevalent? I can't imagine villainizing a corporation so much that you're willing to spend extra money to avoid patronizing them. It seems impractical.

TriRussC's picture
Joined: Sep 5 2008
Posts: 10
I love WalMart. It was the

I love WalMart. It was the night before a 1/2 iron in Effingham, IL last year when I realized I had forgotten a towel. I found the local WalMart and got a towel and a powerade to sip in the AM. Total cost [including tax] = $2.00. It may hae been the highlight of the trip!

christri25's picture
Joined: Feb 5 2005
Posts: 1407
ChadTM wrote:Do you hate

[quote=ChadTM]Do you hate walmart because they put mom and pop shops out of business? Or do you just hate them because they are so prevalent? I can't imagine villainizing a corporation so much that you're willing to spend extra money to avoid patronizing them. It seems impractical. [/quote]

My friend.... albuterol has been sold under a generic for a LONG time. Does it seem odd to anyone that for example.... Advil would no longer be allowed to be sold in pill form. It would only be sold in powder form and would cost 100% more ? Its the same drug. Its not any better. Now there is one store in town that can sell the drug for 90% less than everyone else. It feels like buying stereo equipment out of a van for a big discount. You know the stuff is hot but you just want to save some cash. What will happen ? We will find more and more drugs going to walmart for a substantial savings. Most other pharmacy's will go out of business since they can not obtain the same deals. When there is no more local competition what is going to happen? Watch out.
Albuterol allowed me to live an active lifestyle and I am surprised at how its price is being manipulated by the FDA, drug companies and the retail market.

jsk85's picture
Joined: Jan 17 2008
Posts: 1226
christri25 wrote:ChadTM

[quote=christri25][quote=ChadTM]Do you hate walmart because they put mom and pop shops out of business? Or do you just hate them because they are so prevalent? I can't imagine villainizing a corporation so much that you're willing to spend extra money to avoid patronizing them. It seems impractical. [/quote]

My friend.... albuterol has been sold under a generic for a LONG time. Does it seem odd to anyone that for example.... Advil would no longer be allowed to be sold in pill form. It would only be sold in powder form and would cost 100% more ? Its the same drug. Its not any better. Now there is one store in town that can sell the drug for 90% less than everyone else. It feels like buying stereo equipment out of a van for a big discount. You know the stuff is hot but you just want to save some cash. What will happen ? We will find more and more drugs going to walmart for a substantial savings. Most other pharmacy's will go out of business since they can not obtain the same deals. When there is no more local competition what is going to happen? Watch out.
Albuterol allowed me to live an active lifestyle and I am surprised at how its price is being manipulated by the FDA, drug companies and the retail market.[/quote]

First, the small companies that lose to Wal-Mart are the ones who try to battle them when they move in instead of adjusting their approach to carve out their niche...For example, although not a small company, why is Target able to do so well along with Wal Mart...they target different customer bases. So many of the companies Wal-Mart has taken down were probably going down somehow anyways due to a bad business model.

Second, the reason Wal-Mart gets their prices so much lower is because they force the suppliers to make them that way and have the leverage for it to work. Everyone wants their product in WM and WM knows it...so they make suppliers cut as many costs as they can to get it there...it's cut-throat, but in the end it's a smart, LEGAL business practice.

I'm not really a WM person myself...but I have nothing against what WM does so well...more power to them

Now, off my soap box...back to tri talk

ChadTM's picture
Joined: Jan 12 2009
Posts: 44
Are you suggesting that

Are you suggesting that Walmart was behind the US government banning CFCs in the medication? That's pretty far fetched.
Walmart makes demands of it's suppliers. They can strong-arm the suppliers like because they account for a HUGE portion of all US retail sales.
I don't actually shop in Walmart, only because the ones near my house are filthy places with smelly people. I do recognize their firm grasp of capitalism, and that they provide lots of working class Americans with cheap stuff and jobs to many others. I guess my point is that you shouldn't hate a company. Reserve those emotions for people who actually do bad things.

TryScott's picture
Joined: Aug 5 2007
Posts: 1833
christri25 wrote:Why and how

[quote=christri25]Why and how does Walmart get the inhaler and turn a profit at 9 bucks while every other pharmacy is chargin 50 ?[/quote]

I'm not a business major, but I would guess they take a loss, and/or work out a deal with their supplier in order to get people in the door. Then while they are in the door, they expect the person will spend a little more than they should on other products that are not such a great deal. Like going to a bar with no cover charge and buying $8 beers.

I have no problem with people that take pride in being a rebel. Find something that motivates you, then gather all the reasons to support it you can find. It's healthy to get motivated by something. There's plenty of things that I do not like to do, just because so many others do enjoy it. Would it kill me to have coffee or soda once in a while? Not at all. You can bet that when I see an article saying something negative about either one, I point and say "see, that's another reason that I don't use that stuff!" It makes me feel good.

jwillia852's picture
Joined: Jul 9 2008
Posts: 475
I have worked on the vendor

I have worked on the vendor side selling into Walmart. Although they did wonders for my quota, I vowed to never step foot into that store again. With the exception of two instances beyond my control I have not been back in five years.

The problem with Walmart is not as much about the small business owners being put out of business; in fact, in many cases (but not all) the smartest and strongest small business owners find ways to stay in business by utilizing a lucrative service-oriented approach. Rather, it is how they bastardize quality for quantity and reap the benefits of profit margins of monstrous levels. Walmart is at the forefront of offering poor quality at low prices and deceiving the average consumer into thinking that they are getting "VALUE". It is not value.

Listen, I'm all for saving money, clipping coupons, and shopping in big box. I am careful with what I buy and don't hesitate to buy generic or shop at Target/Costco for certain items (I called on these accounts too... big difference in business practice believe it or not). But I do do a majority of my shopping local, not hesitating a second to spend a reasonable amount more for service and fresh/quality goods. I refuse to shop at Walmart and am very empathetic to the OP. It sucks Wally world holds the chain.

How many audiophiles are on this site? Ok... Let me ask you, What do you think of the iPod and what it has done to your music? The quality sucks right? That is what Walmart has done, and will continue to do everything else.

Consumerism is not a good thing.

beads1985's picture
Joined: Mar 11 2004
Posts: 6147
Can you really blame

Can you really blame Wal-Mart?

It is the suppliers that will buckle to the demands of the large distributor to make a profit by providing quantity.

If any supplier had a product and kept the price they sold it uniform to everyone this problem would not exist.

christri25's picture
Joined: Feb 5 2005
Posts: 1407
Walmart should sell Tri

Walmart should sell Tri Bikes... LOL

jwillia852's picture
Joined: Jul 9 2008
Posts: 475
TryScott wrote:christri25

[quote=TryScott][quote=christri25]Why and how does Walmart get the inhaler and turn a profit at 9 bucks while every other pharmacy is chargin 50 ?[/quote]

I'm not a business major, but I would guess they take a loss,
[/quote]

Nope, Economies of Scale at work. They buy at such volumes and get such great voluminous discounts that they can charge next to nothing and still make their minimum margin.

Walmart never takes a loss.

Triguy98's picture
Joined: Apr 10 2005
Posts: 3108
ChadTM wrote:Are you

[quote=ChadTM]Are you suggesting that Walmart was behind the US government banning CFCs in the medication? That's pretty far fetched.
[/quote]

Are YOU suggesting coconuts migrate?

brittda's picture
Joined: Jan 25 2005
Posts: 2458
Hey Chris-- Right with you

Hey Chris--
Right with you on the Walmart thing. I won'/don't shop there and feel the same (slam me all you want I have the right to choose). Have you tried a mail order service? Is this covered at all by insurance? Even if not you may be able to get it cheaper. I use Medco for my stuff.

NICK10980's picture
Joined: Sep 12 2005
Posts: 141
No wal-mart here in Germany.

No wal-mart here in Germany. I do not miss it a bit either.

gfd
gfd's picture
Joined: Jan 28 2006
Posts: 3087
Triguy98 wrote:ChadTM

[quote=Triguy98][quote=ChadTM]Are you suggesting that Walmart was behind the US government banning CFCs in the medication? That's pretty far fetched.
[/quote]

Are YOU suggesting coconuts migrate?[/quote]

It could have been brought here by an African swallow. But no...African swallows are non-migratory.

paganopj's picture
Joined: Nov 30 2008
Posts: 761
Wish I was paid enough to be

Wish I was paid enough to be able to shop elsewhere....state salaries in Florida don't exactly allow me to be too choosy.. While Walmart has certainly committed their share of sins in the business world, the grim reality of the big picture is that this is what the world has come to in many facets above and beyond business. Decisions are made for the greater good of the one (be it Walmart or the politician who wants to be re-elected) instead of for the good of the many. Thankfully there are some people left that are able to stand on their principals, and I can applaud that.

Warrior's picture
Joined: Dec 5 2007
Posts: 1566
Walmart is a conglomerate

Walmart is a conglomerate coporation run by human beings ( apparently) . What they do is to buy up all of a producers stock, at their price, but that entails no other stock from that producer being sold anywhere else, it's an all or nothing deal. The producer is faced with making 1 cent profit on his dollar invested, but every single dollar invested, or maybe 20 cents on some of what he invested. ( I am analag ising) . They do indeed sell at below cost but by the time you get to the till you have bought so much other cheap crap, they are in profit and you are out of pocket and space and time.
I use an inhaler, that I twist, which delivers the dose into the chamber, then I suck like a whore. No gas needed CFC or otherwise. You might be able to check out it's availability.

brian669's picture
Joined: Feb 28 2008
Posts: 61
christri25 wrote:Walmart

[quote=christri25]Walmart should sell Tri Bikes... LOL[/quote]

they could have the corvette to go with te denali road bike!

jtrimom's picture
Joined: May 20 2008
Posts: 3170
I have to go get school

I have to go get school supplies with my kids today, and even tho I know walmart will be cheaper, I am NOT taking my kids to the walmart by me b/c frankly, it's scary and stinky; it's stressful enough going into ANY store with four kids touching everything and asking for everything- KNOWING full well I will say "NO" 50 million times- so I'll pay more at Target, but I'll feel safer and cleaner for it...sorry, little rant

katarddx's picture
Joined: Jan 28 2009
Posts: 204
NICK10980 wrote:No wal-mart

[quote=NICK10980]No wal-mart here in Germany. I do not miss it a bit either.[/quote]
but there is woolworth!
:-)

NICK10980's picture
Joined: Sep 12 2005
Posts: 141
katarddx wrote:NICK10980

[quote=katarddx][quote=NICK10980]No wal-mart here in Germany. I do not miss it a bit either.[/quote]
but there is woolworth!
:-)
[/quote]
You are right, but you would never see someone shopping at Woolworth in Deutschland wearing pajamas and house shoes. :)

wannakona's picture
Joined: Nov 6 2008
Posts: 737
beads1985 wrote:Can you

[quote=beads1985]Can you really blame Wal-Mart?

It is the suppliers that will buckle to the demands of the large distributor to make a profit by providing quantity.

If any supplier had a product and kept the price they sold it uniform to everyone this problem would not exist.
[/quote]
Totally agree!
A supplier, i won't name it, will sell an item to a store at wholesale price that is the same as retail price at walmart for exactly the same item.
What is a store, that can not afford to get a deal from supplier by buying gozillion of the same item, supposed to do, they can't make any money on that item distributing it, no margin at all.
If suppliers would keep wholesale price the same for all retailers, then even walmart would want to have just a little margin.

Konstantin
www.TriBug.com

katarddx's picture
Joined: Jan 28 2009
Posts: 204
how about a turban? seen

how about a turban? seen plenty of that either way... however, i do get your point... much more of that overhere...

JAPRYSE's picture
Joined: Apr 16 2009
Posts: 45
TriRussC wrote:I love

[quote=TriRussC]I love WalMart. It was the night before a 1/2 iron in Effingham, IL last year when I realized I had forgotten a towel. I found the local WalMart and got a towel and a powerade to sip in the AM. Total cost [including tax] = $2.00. It may hae been the highlight of the trip![/quote]

I shopped there just a few minutes ago. I love the place. I do wish they sold Tri-Bikes though.

Shop online for your prescriptions. Most insurance companies also have a mail order plan that saves a ton of money. I use albuterol as well and it cost me $15.00 mail order.

Ironmom's picture
Joined: Nov 30 2006
Posts: 1820
I'm with you - haven't been

I'm with you - haven't been in a Wal-Mart in years and won't go in one if I can ever help it. The only way that place like Wal-Mart can succeed is if people patronize them with their business, I won't contribute to their crappy underhanded business model personally. Also, the people that shop at Mal-Wart here are skeeeery...

The funniest thing I've seen that's related to both triathlons and Wal-Mart is that when I did IMFL, it was uncharacteristically brutally cold on race morning. Many of the triathletes at the race come from southern states and were not prepared with arm warmers, gloves, etc. so they went to Wal-Mart which is close to the race start. The first half of the bike course looked like a random dress-up party with people wearing little striped stretchy knit gloves, plastic raincoats, etc. it was quite funny really. They were all shed by noon when it started to warm up.

Warrior's picture
Joined: Dec 5 2007
Posts: 1566
wannakona wrote:beads1985

[quote=wannakona][quote=beads1985]Can you really blame Wal-Mart?

It is the suppliers that will buckle to the demands of the large distributor to make a profit by providing quantity.

If any supplier had a product and kept the price they sold it uniform to everyone this problem would not exist.
[/quote]
Totally agree!
A supplier, i won't name it, will sell an item to a store at wholesale price that is the same as retail price at walmart for exactly the same item.
What is a store, that can not afford to get a deal from supplier by buying gozillion of the same item, supposed to do, they can't make any money on that item distributing it, no margin at all.
If suppliers would keep wholesale price the same for all retailers, then even walmart would want to have just a little margin.[/quote]

ER getting sorta political, it's not the suppliers who dictate to Walmart what it does. It's Walmart dictating to the suppliers. I can assure you Walmart in the US and Carrefour in France are responsible for ripping the heart of out many communities. Walmart and it's model is studied in Universities by Students of , Business, Economics, Sociology, Communication, Psychology, philosopy, and political studies.
Lets take a tri bike example, you make bikes worth on the market 1000 dollars so does your neighbour. Your costs are the same. If you sell 40 bikes at a 1000 dollars you break even. anything else is profit. Thats IF you sell them. Wall mart comes and offers you 1000 for your 40 bikes, and 100 dollars for the other 40 you got. You refuse because you are not an idiot and you worked hard. Your neighbour however realises that if he offloads all his bikes not only does he only have a small profit, but now his 80 bikes are on the market, none of yours are, you go bust, and walmart can sell each of the 80 for less than 1000.

I don't want to bang on about it, but don't be blaming the little guy or the middle man.

TryScott's picture
Joined: Aug 5 2007
Posts: 1833
Warrior wrote:Walmart is a

[quote=Warrior]Walmart is a conglomerate coporation run by human beings ( apparently) . [/quote]

Wrong. Anyone that has seen SouthPark knows that Walmart is it's own living being. If you have a computer near the trainer, it's certainly worth the 20+ minutes to watch the Walmart episode at southparkstudios.com

christri25's picture
Joined: Feb 5 2005
Posts: 1407
Maybe I should have thought

Maybe I should have thought better about what to name this thread ...lol

Pages

? Top