— Forum Discussions —

Pre-training Meals

Due to my job situation I perform all my cardio workouts early in the morning (starting at 0530). I'm trying to lose weight so I dont eat before working out. I normally do 60-120 minutes of cardio M-F and then eat oatmeal and fruit after working out. The plan thus far has worked but now that now I'm waking up to a hungry stomach. Yes, I know I should listen my body but I'm afraid of packing the pounds back on. I'm 5'7" and currently 195; the goal is 180 (I use to be 240).

Any suggestions of finding a good balance of nutrition while maintaining the ability to lose weight?

Can you reference what told you to not eat before working out? I'm all about losing weight, but when the tummy talks, I listen. On the mornings I workout, my meals are usually 3 eggs, american cheese, 2 pieces of bread (424 calories), and an Ensure (241 calories). I have no guilt in a large lunch if I'm working out again, but the rest of my day (including dinner) is 200 - 300 calorie snacks.

good nutrition while training is the same as good nutrition anytime: plenty of fruits and vegetables, lean protein, and quality (whole grain) carbohydrates. you do have to eat more, depending on how much you train, but eating 5 - 6 small meals is better than 3 large ones.

also, remember that even though you are training, it doesn't mean that you can go crazy with calorie-dense, high fat foods. those can be a sometime thing, but very sometime.

hope that helps.

OK I share your early Am workouts. Here is what I do. Remember effective workouts are fueled workouts in my opinion.

So lets say I have 2.5 punishing hours on the trainer And have to get sorted for work by 7AM

Wake at 3AM Fuel/Stretch
Bowl of cereal or 1 cup of cooked steelcut oatmeal (make ahead) with raisins and a squirt of syrup.
Coffee
Water
BCAA's
Creatine
8oz of juice with whey (16g protein)

4AM start workout
About 45min in Ill start to hit on my on bike fuel. Currently am using Infinit formulated for duration of workout.
Additionally 2 bottles of water

6:30 Falloff bike
Immediately thereafter 1 Ensure then shower/get prepped for day and then breakfast
Usually 6+ egg whites with a little diced ham and cheese/ Couple of waffles
Coffee/Water/Juice/Vitamins

And so far its been working for me. I get my launch pad fuel going with the cereal. Not alot but enough to bridge to my fueling start during the workout. Then thereafter I eat my real breakfast. Typically during these days I cant eat enough throughout the day but start to taper my calorie countdown gradually by dinner.

cheers
S.

i think you're ok to not eat prior to your workout (that's what I do), but you need to be good about doing 5 meals/day so that you're not playing catchup at the end of the day for your daily nutritional needs

if your workouts are 2hrs or less, there's no reason to have a meal just before doing the workout. and i'd even suggest that you separate any major meal from before a workout by at least a couple of hours

I do the early morning workouts also. Two days a week I am on the road by 5:00 and the other three 5:30. I know how you feel. Have you always had a hungry stomach in the morning or is this something new?

Great information everyone, thank you!

Prendergi,

I recently started the morning hunger pains the past week or so. Unsure if my body is adjusting to the training or if my metabolism is finally finding a new gear. I started TRI training in January of this year in hopes of losing weight so I did not eat before working out. I've lost around 12 or so pounds. Until recently it was not an issue, I did add GU or Gatorade to my water to give me a extra zip but now my body is craving more. What is your pre-work out routine?

I work out early in the morning, too (b/t 4:15 and 6:30). I usually just suck down some gatorade during the workout and that tides me over till I get home, famished. Sadly, but sweetly, my family knows not to talk to me until I have shoveled some food into my mouth- usually within 30 seconds of arriving home.

I honestly just try and get out the door as fast as possible. I try and lay out stuff the night before so I can get up and go. I don't eat anything before and only drink water during my workouts. I have noticed that lately I am famished after my workouts but I have also had a little more sugar in my diet than usual (Hubby's B-Day cake and he bought Oreos last week). That is why I asked if it was something new. It could be that your metabolism is kicking in or it may just be a matter of figuring out what could be missing from your diet during the day or a little bit of both.

I know this is going to sound counter productive but do you have enough fat in your diet? I know you have been trying to lose weight and that probably means cutting out fat but do you have the good kind of fat in your diet? I mean like some almonds or a little peanut butter (not the Jiff or skippy but natural without all the sugar) Fat does take longer to burn but that is why it is important for endurance athletes to have and even though you want to lose more weight you do need the good fats. Not a lot - like a 1/4 cup of almonds or tablespoon of peanut butter or cooking with olive oil or grapeseed oil vs. the other oils like veggie oil. You don't need much.

Prendergi,

Adam's peanut butter is awesome. I get the non-stir jar so its quick and easy.
I think you hit the nail on the head suggesting that my metabolism is kicking in. I've been a big guy my entire adult life (I'm 44) so having a revved up engine is new territory for me. I tried to ensure that there is plenty of fruit nearby so I dont eat junk, however Oreo's are always awesome. I know I'm lacking in the veggie department, any suggestions?

My favorite right now are small red potatoes. Take three or four, rinse them off and pop them in the microwave for 4 or 5 min. and they are done. Instead of butter I just put Old Bay seasoning on them. They are so tasty!! I am a veggie eater so I like a lot of different kinds. I try to look in the store for quick and easy but healthy which isn't always easy. And I always try and buy fresh if possible. If I can't buy fresh - frozen. The big thing is Steam Fresh. I think Birds Eye makes them - they are in the freezer section - pop them in the microwave and you have steamed veggies. Super easy and good. Again with Old Bay - I love that stuff. I use it on everything - it is awsome on chicken too!

[quote=prendergi]My favorite right now are small red potatoes. Take three or four, rinse them off and pop them in the microwave for 4 or 5 min. and they are done. Instead of butter I just put Old Bay seasoning on them. They are so tasty!! I am a veggie eater so I like a lot of different kinds. I try to look in the store for quick and easy but healthy which isn't always easy. And I always try and buy fresh if possible. If I can't buy fresh - frozen. The big thing is Steam Fresh. I think Birds Eye makes them - they are in the freezer section - pop them in the microwave and you have steamed veggies. Super easy and good. Again with Old Bay - I love that stuff. I use it on everything - it is awsome on chicken too! [/quote]

In the MORNINIG????!!!!!!

If I need something I have a slimfast shake(regular ones) chocolate 4:1 carb protein ratio and sits in my tumy well right before exercising.

brittda - No I think you missed the question.

[quote=the staring man]I know I'm lacking in the veggie department, any suggestions?[/quote]
that was my suggestion for the above question - little off topic.

[quote=prendergi]brittda - No I think you missed the question.

[quote=the staring man]I know I'm lacking in the veggie department, any suggestions?[/quote]
that was my suggestion for the above question - little off topic.[/quote]

GOTCHA---my selective reading skills shining through :)

I love oldbay to :)

old bay just makes me think of old spice... what is it really?

Old Bay is used a lot with seafood. I got the ingredients off of their website http://www.oldbay.com/
INGREDIENTS
CELERY SALT (SALT, CELERY SEED), SPICES (INCLUDING MUSTARD, RED PEPPER, BLACK PEPPER, BAY [LAUREL] LEAVES, CLOVES, ALLSPICE [PIMENTO], GINGER, MACE, CARDAMOM, CINNAMON) AND PAPRIKA.

You can try having light snacks before going into a daily morning exercise a loaf or two won't hurt right? besides you're gonna burn the fats that'll build up. I hope this helps.

? Top