— Forum Discussions —

stupid rant!

Let me start by saying it was a beautiful day and I wasn't in a rush, so it could've been worse...but...I am CURSED!!!!
Today I had the 3rd flat in 6 rides. Not even really long rides. Luckily I was close to a bike shop b/c I almost had a Normann Stadler moment. I stomped in there (as well as I could with bike shoes on) and asked them to PLEASE tell me what was wrong with my rear tire. So, they took it off, found the hole in the tube, looked in the tire and on the rim, nada!! Just bad luck. WAAAA!
Okay, rant over. Now if anyone wants to give advice, commiserrate or call me a big baby, have at it.

I feel your pain, while riding to work last summer, 24 miles one way, I double flatted not once but twice in one week. Doesn't start the day off good, and my wife really didn't like having to get the kids up and in the car to come get me either.

I had a similar episode on my commuter last fall. I was a LBS mechanic for many years ... so I know what I am doing when it comes to fixing flats. This problem turned out to be a very small thorn that was lodged in the tire. I would fix it and then flat again after about 3 days. It couldn't be felt at all from the inside of the tire ... I only found it after very closely inspecting the outside of the tire and checking out every little nick in the tread.

All that being said, your problem could very well turn out to just be bad luck.

I had a similar situation a few years ago. I had a flat during a triathlon, replaced the tube and finished the race. A few days later, I was inflating my tires to get ready for a training ride and the tube blew again. I gave it a closer inspection this time and noticed that the rim tape had worked loose in one spot just enough to expose the edge of a spoke hole.

Before your next ride wrap your self in old tire tubes and old tires and do the "No Flat dance" to appease the bike and tire gods.

Then you should be okay.

Or you could inspect your tires, rims, and tubes as the heathen non-believers suggested.

Good luck!! ;-)

get heavier tires to train on. I like the specialized armadillos. I've toured 2000 miles with no flats on them (a personal record for me!) .... and do a "No Flat Dance"....

[quote=jnrice]get heavier tires to train on. I like the specialized armadillos. I've toured 2000 miles with no flats on them (a personal record for me!) .... and do a "No Flat Dance"....[/quote]

It is either the "No Flat Dance" before or the "I am so pissed I have a Flat" dance when you are on the road ;-)

[quote=beads1985][quote=jnrice]get heavier tires to train on. I like the specialized armadillos. I've toured 2000 miles with no flats on them (a personal record for me!) .... and do a "No Flat Dance"....[/quote]

It is either the "No Flat Dance" before or the "I am so pissed I have a Flat" dance when you are on the road ;-)
[/quote]
I did the pissy dance...and I am sure the drivers along the road had a good laugh

I was a sprint race this summer and flew threw the swim, took T1 as a prisioner and after two hundred feet onto the bike course heard pssssssssssssssss. $#!@&*%$#! Game over =(

Bummer! Flat tires are so not fun.

Three things that I think help prevent flats:

1) Ride with good training tires. Armadillos rock

2) This takes practice!: Wear leather-palmed biking gloves. Any time you ride through anything suspicious - broken glass, thornbush, metal shards, etc. reach forward and cup your hand around the tire as you're riding. As the tire spins through your glove, you'll pick off any glass, etc. that isn't yet embedded in your tires. If you really practice, you can reach behind you and do the rear tire as well. If you don't want to do this, just stop and spin your wheels through your gloves on the side of the road.

3) When at home, check your tires regularly for any slits, or embedded materials. Any time you change a tire, run your hands around the inside of the tire and the rim to make sure nothing is going to cause a problem.

I've only had one flat on my road bike in 9 years, so I swear by these techniques. I ride a lot of back roads with broken glass, etc. I wear gloves in most Oly distance and above races, just for this reason. I've run through glass in a race and not flatted.

Ironmom, I am just not that talented, seriously. I would probably fall right over if I tried that cool trick. I just don't have the bike handling skills yet to even attempt that. I will look into the armadillo tires though. I asked the bike shop if they think I need a heavier duty tire, they said what I have is supposed to be real good. Continental something or another. If I get another flat soon (please NO!) I will feel the rims myself to make sure...I hate feeling an impending doom feeling when I want to go and ride :(

Yeah, it's no fun to worry about having to change a tire every other ride. I agree if you flat again I'd really give the rims and tires a thorough going over. It's not above a bike shop to miss something every now and then, and that sounds like an awful lot of flats.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for your next ride!

[quote=triath02]I was inflating my tires to get ready for a training ride and the tube blew again. I gave it a closer inspection this time and noticed that the rim tape had worked loose in one spot just enough to expose the edge of a spoke hole. [/quote]

I had this same exact problem. The LBS taped my rims when they were building my ride, and they left a hair's width exposed on one of the spoke cavities (poor tape job to have it that far over to begin with). After blowing 4 tubes in the span of 2 months, I finally gave the microscopic inspection. I noticed that the tape was slightly depressed (like a dimple) in that one particular cavity - and it was probably much worse when the tube was inflated. I re-taped it, and haven't had a mystery flat on that rim in nearly 2 years.

[quote=Ironmom]2) This takes practice!: Wear leather-palmed biking gloves. Any time you ride through anything suspicious - broken glass, thornbush, metal shards, etc. reach forward and cup your hand around the tire as you're riding. As the tire spins through your glove, you'll pick off any glass, etc. that isn't yet embedded in your tires. If you really practice, you can reach behind you and do the rear tire as well.[/quote]

Kids, don't try that at home...

[quote=Ironmom]If you don't want to do this, just stop and spin your wheels through your gloves on the side of the road.

3) When at home, check your tires regularly for any slits, or embedded materials. Any time you change a tire, run your hands around the inside of the tire and the rim to make sure nothing is going to cause a problem.[/quote]

...much more recommendable...!

I got my first flat during my first triathlon. I hadn't gotten a flat on any rides before my race. I got my second flat on the morning of my second triathlon, while pumping up tire before race start. Used a band-aid to correct problem because there was a sharp piece of metal on the inside of the rim. Now, I am super paranoid about getting a flat during my races. Even after upgrading to a new bike!

My first Half at Eagleman, I flatted 3 times. All from a bur in the rim, which my not so now LBS supposedly had fixed.

The funny part was after two tube changes I had none for my third and was stranded in the sun on a road with no shade and no trees in sight for about a mile each way. Cursed Luck.

The name of the road....... Egypt Road..... I was stuck in the middle of BF Egypt. LOL.

I do not discuss Punctures. I will not reveal how many I have had. I will not discuss the ways that I prevent them...All this to appease the Puncture Gods! Discussing the matter is sure to bring down the wrath the god Vulcanized as well as the gods Pinch Flat, Sidewall Blow Out and Glass Shard.
All hail the Puncture Gods!
(shhh...+1 to ironmom)

[quote=Anton]I do not discuss Punctures. I will not reveal how many I have had. I will not discuss the ways that I prevent them...All this to appease the Puncture Gods! Discussing the matter is sure to bring down the wrath the god Vulcanized as well as the gods Pinch Flat, Sidewall Blow Out and Glass Shard.
(shhh...+1 to ironmom)[/quote]

I'll bet you have done both dances as well ;-)

[quote=Anton]I do not discuss Punctures. I will not reveal how many I have had. I will not discuss the ways that I prevent them...All this to appease the Puncture Gods! Discussing the matter is sure to bring down the wrath the god Vulcanized as well as the gods Pinch Flat, Sidewall Blow Out and Glass Shard.

The first rule of fight club...

[quote=vistring][quote=Anton]I do not discuss Punctures. I will not reveal how many I have had. I will not discuss the ways that I prevent them...All this to appease the Puncture Gods! Discussing the matter is sure to bring down the wrath the god Vulcanized as well as the gods Pinch Flat, Sidewall Blow Out and Glass Shard.

The first rule of fight club...[/quote]

You mean "the first rule of 'Flat' club" ? ;-)

My wife just automatically adds 10-15 minutes to any length of ride I tell her - assuming the flats that often plague me. For Christmas one year she got me a set of "puncture proof" tubes. Sure they add about 8oz to your bike weight, but they'll withstand nearly anything, and then think how light your bike feels when you put regular tubes in for racing!

I also carry a set of latex exam gloves in my gear to keep my hands nice and clean when changing tubes!

Are the flats all the same type? If not, what kind of flats are they? Are you finding punctures after a slow leak or are your hearing a loud "BANG"? Are the tires fine but the tubes holey?

Here are a couple things to check for:

1. Punctures from glass, thorns, rocks, etc: there are not much to do about other than to get thicker tires and ride on better roads. Be more cautious in wet weather, as debris sticks more easily to tires then.
2. Pinch flats where an underinflated tube goes when you ride into a seam or small pothole.
3. Pseudo pinch flats: where you leave a tiny bit of the tube stuck under the bead of the tire (the bead is the thick edge). When you get going, the tube will work its way further under the bead untl it bursts. These are hard to misdiagnose because they make a loud bang and often blow the bead off the rim. You can prevent these by making 100% sure that no part of the tube is stuck under the bead when you inflate. The trick is to put about 20 PSI in your tire, then pinch the tire away from one side of the rim, inspecting closely to make sure no tube is poking out. Then do the same thing on the other side. Then finish inflating. (I had a run of 2 or 3 of these last summer--they are very easy to get on certain aero rims paired with certain types of tire).
4. Spoke hole punctures: where there is no hole in the tire, but bad, old, or misaligned rim tape causes the tube to inflate down into the spoke hole and rub a puncture into itself. These can be prevented with thick new rim tape or plain old duct tape.
5. Flat from the tire rubbing against some part of the frame. Very obvious when that happens.
6. True mystery flats: Bad valves, poor quality tubes, etc. Nothing to do about those except switch tubes.

[quote=beads1985]Before your next ride wrap your self in old tire tubes and old tires and do the "No Flat dance" to appease the bike and tire gods.
quote]

I demand a 'No Flat Dance' photo contest!

They'd at least make for good "Dancing Lady Advertisments" that pop on my screen every twenty seconds!

[quote=PJT]1. Punctures from glass, thorns, rocks, etc: there are not much to do about other than to get thicker tires and ride on better roads. Be more cautious in wet weather, as debris sticks more easily to tires then. [/quote]

Mr. Tuffy! They really do help.

I think I must hold the record for flats in a single race - 120km bike race - 6 flats - no joking - I had 3 spares, got 2 from my wife, and gave up at number 6 (around 95km).

[quote=jamescaro]I think I must hold the record for flats in a single race - 120km bike race - 6 flats - no joking - I had 3 spares, got 2 from my wife, and gave up at number 6 (around 95km).[/quote]
I would've cried after flat #2; seriously, I am scared to go for a ride now, b/c I know it won't have a happy ending (minds out of the gutter); but I will suck it up and head out Friday, weather permitting

[quote=beads1985][quote=Anton]I do not discuss Punctures. I will not reveal how many I have had. I will not discuss the ways that I prevent them...All this to appease the Puncture Gods! Discussing the matter is sure to bring down the wrath the god Vulcanized as well as the gods Pinch Flat, Sidewall Blow Out and Glass Shard.

[/quote]
Yes...naked. Wrapped in old inner tubes,sewups and wearing a necklace of spent Co2 cartridges!

[quote=Anton][quote=beads1985][quote=Anton]I do not discuss Punctures. I will not reveal how many I have had. I will not discuss the ways that I prevent them...All this to appease the Puncture Gods! Discussing the matter is sure to bring down the wrath the god Vulcanized as well as the gods Pinch Flat, Sidewall Blow Out and Glass Shard.

[/quote]
Yes...naked. Wrapped in old inner tubes,sewups and wearing a necklace of spent Co2 cartridges![/quote]

So you have been to the meetings?

Remember the first rule of 'Flat' Club.... ;-)

updatE: I left the house on a foggy drizzly morning, expecting to get a flat and figure out the problem. Told my husband to please expect my call and be prepared to come pick me up. I figured if I could get 20 miles on my regular bike route, the curse was lifted and I began to feel hopeful at 15 miles. At 16 miles, the inevitable happened. So I called my husband, and he was unavailable for at least an hour. Then it started truly raining so I began my trek (1 mile from the flat site) to the nearest bike shop, in the rain. I knew it wasn't just the tube, so it was pointless to change it. The guy at the bike shop listened to my sad tale and looked at my dirty tire, flat tube (in the same spot, I might add) and the rim tape. He said it was probably the rim tape that slid too far over and was making the hole thingies (sorry for my very technical terminology)poke my tube.
I just spent the last 1/2 hr cleaning, and intimitely wiping down and whispering sweet nothings to the bike (it's sick, but it's something about the rain). Hopefully we'll get along better next week.

[quote=Anton][quote=beads1985][quote=Anton]I do not discuss Punctures. I will not reveal how many I have had. I will not discuss the ways that I prevent them...All this to appease the Puncture Gods! Discussing the matter is sure to bring down the wrath the god Vulcanized as well as the gods Pinch Flat, Sidewall Blow Out and Glass Shard.

[/quote]
Yes...naked. Wrapped in old inner tubes,sewups and wearing a necklace of spent Co2 cartridges![/quote]

Hmmm I sure you could make money if you got a web cam site set up to show that, or made a DVD and flogged it somewhere. ...................

Okay so I read all the experts.......and all of you people here ( joking) and now I am going to give you my 2 cents worth. My cycling maestro told me about it, he has been cycling nearly 30 years, as is semi professional standard.............. Anyway.....it's to do with tire pressure. If your tires are not like a brick, if you can feel the road through your wheels... then you are calling down the puncture gods....
I don't have a measurement other than something called 4 bar . So now you can all kill the messanger. ( I am sure I have just invoked the rath of the people of vulcan flats).

? Top