— Forum Discussions —

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Akatsuki's picture
What's easiest on my back: running or spin class?

I hurt my back last saturday. I am feeling better and would like to exercise. What would be easier on my back? Spin class (24 hr fit) or running outside on the pavement? Resting is not an option ;-)

Thanks guys,
Noel

TriSooner's picture
Akatsuki wrote:Resting is

[quote=Akatsuki]Resting is not an option. [/quote]

It should be, but if you insist, I'd imagine the non-impact spin would be 'better' (read: less harmful).

jonovision_man's picture
TriSooner wrote:Akatsuki

[quote=TriSooner][quote=Akatsuki]Resting is not an option. [/quote]

It should be
[/quote]

+1

If you do the spin class, then I'd stop if the pain started... do the walk of shame. Better than ending up fighting an injury that lingers for weeks or months.

jono

Anton's picture
Resting might not be an

Resting might not be an option...but it should be.
You want to work out for a few more days or for x number of years? If you've hurt yourself bad enough you'll last a few more days probably before you're damaged enough that you'll be forced to stop.
But as Sooner implied, you'll probably go ahead...spin class without all the jumping out of the saddle, just a spin. Just going for a walk would be the least harmful and would get you out the door until you're 100%.

burnman's picture
+3 on the rest. The amount

+3 on the rest. The amount you will lose in aerobic fitness is trivial compared to the amount you will lose if you continually aggravate your injury. Spinning will be less jarring, but being in a slumped position probably won't help you much either. Have you considered aqua jogging, or even swimming with a kick board for a few days? Both are low impact and keep the leg muscles stimulated.

Akatsuki's picture
Thanks guys for the

Thanks guys for the suggestions. Look like I have to consider resting or doing some swimming for a few more days. I have already rested 2 days since I hurt my back lifting some weight, and as you all know it sucks not being to exercise with the racing season coming up soon.

beads1985's picture
Spin class, maybe some time

Spin class, maybe some time on the elliptical or posibly pool running.
On the other hand a few days of R&R in a hot tub with a beer or two could be very therapeutic! ;-)

brittda's picture
Akatsuki wrote:Thanks guys

[quote=Akatsuki]Thanks guys for the suggestions. Look like I have to consider resting or doing some swimming for a few more days. I have already rested 2 days since I hurt my back lifting some weight, and as you all know it sucks not being to exercise with the racing season coming up soon.
[/quote]

Yeah it does suck, but unless you are a pro and make your living racing there is no real reason to hurt yourself more. Your back is not something to mess with, and a couple of days is probably not enough rest. I had mine go out in college(and it too WEEKS to recover) and have had problems ever since. I continueously have SI/piraformis problems with both running and cycling, even with a proper bike fit.

Beads has a good idea, only I would drink a couple gray goose martinis (and costco has the BEST jalipino/garlic olives)

TonisTri's picture
+1 on the hot tub and I'd

+1 on the hot tub and I'd opt for a margarita. I'd be frustrated if I were you too, but not nearly as frustrated as if you miss the season because you didn't get proper rest and proper healing for your back.

bellau's picture
Take it from someone who has

Take it from someone who has had back surgery, running is not highly recommended! Rest is the best idea, but if you are like me and rest is not an option, the bike is a good choice. Swimming would be the best thing you could do.

diva_mom's picture
Yeah, what they said. I hurt

Yeah, what they said. I hurt my back playing hockey in college. A long time ago. It still hurts. REST NOW, or you might find yourself in tears when you sneeze 10 years later. Lifelong massage therapy and chiro bills add up.

cutiger95's picture
Swimming is a great aerobic

Swimming is a great aerobic workout. But cycling would also be good, however it can get to your lower back if it is week or if you are still working on core strength.

Rest until you are good. Backs are not something to mess around with, they are kinda at the back center of all your activities.

nickcampbell's picture
Bike or run? Whichever

Bike or run? Whichever doesn't hurt.

Every back problem is different, so do some experimenting. I had 2 back surgeries (discs) and thought my running career was over. 20 years later, I tested the waters (so to speak) and have had no issues (another than a knee problem brought on by stupidity).

Cycling is another story. The flex position is murder for me, so I'm working hard on core strength to alleviate the problem.

Funny: I installed a brick patio with 10 tons of stone, 5 tons of sand, 2000 bricks, and lots of wheelbarrow work. Everything hurt EXCEPT my back, because I was lifting straight up and down. The second week, we installed a sprinkler system (bent over ditches connecting PVC), and it was brutal.

Go figure.

Atwod's picture
If I were you too, but not

If I were you too, but not nearly as disappointed as if you skip the year because you didn't get appropriate relax and appropriate treatment for your returning.

http://eliteedgegym.com/

? Top