— Forum Discussions —

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
SerialKiller's picture
"ok i can't think of an interesting title" is now "How To Avoid the Possibility of Permanent Shrinkage"

how cold can i swim safely without a wetsuit

tri-ac's picture
(don't ask lynne cox) if

(don't ask lynne cox) if you're in FL, i'm guessing 70

sorry, i'm getting punchy...i'm ready to go home
this is going to be a pretty personal thing and what you can tolerate.
be safe and always swim with someone

advobwhite's picture
pffft....not only are you in

pffft....not only are you in fl, you are in CENTRAL fl. even up in north fl it dips down into the 20's(as is the case for midweek this week), but in central fl, it's good weather year round.

SerialKiller's picture
don't be hatin. i'm just

don't be hatin. i'm just wishin i was back in southwest VA.

SerialKiller's picture
i can handle a lot i just

i can handle a lot i just don't want hypothermia (wow i spelled that right the first time:))

TonisTri's picture
I have no idea how to answer

I have no idea how to answer your question. I am just disappointed in your thread title. I know you can do better than that! We've started to count on you.

SerialKiller's picture
off topic but i've lost 5

off topic but i've lost 5 lbs in the last week, all from training and dieting
only 45 more to go. YEY ME!!

jtrimom's picture
TonisTri wrote:I have no

[quote=TonisTri]I have no idea how to answer your question. I am just disappointed in your thread title. I know you can do better than that! We've started to count on you.[/quote]
+1 very disappointing Mr. Serialkiller tsktsk, you get a 2 for creativity, but...you get a thumbs up for the weight loss! good job

advobwhite's picture
so....we should delete this

so....we should delete this thread, and have him create a new one w/ the same topic, and a better title.

gfd
gfd's picture
Let's try to help him out.

Let's try to help him out. How about..."How To Avoid the Possibility of Permanent Shrinkage"

NotAsFast's picture
Anything below 68 will give

Anything below 68 will give you permanant shrinkage. I recommend one of those heat pack you use while you are skiing to warm the required areas before facing the crowd.

jtrimom's picture
well, unless you are

well, unless you are planning on wearing a speedo for the rest of the race, it shouldn't be much of an issue

tritoride28's picture
Smart ass remark: Its -15F

Smart ass remark: Its -15F here in minnesota, and i went swimming last night...in the pool.
Serious answer: My buddy swam in 61 degree water with nothing but a tri suit for 1 mile, but he is more...insulated than some. Mind you he was the only one in the Oly not wearing a wetsuit, but the sprint people did not wear them for their 1/4mile swim.

TryScott's picture
Depends a lot on how fat you

Depends a lot on how fat you are. If you keep losing weight, you better like your wetsuit.

Some people swim Escape from Alcatraz without a wetsuit. However, some people get hypothermia in the same water, so that might not be smart. I think the water temp is around 60 during the race.

Ironmom's picture
Lynne Cox swam 5 miles in 40

Lynne Cox swam 5 miles in 40 degree water from Alask to Russia wearing a bathing suit, cap, and goggles. She's also swam a mile in waters off Antartica. Scientists have confirmed that she can maintain stable body temperature with her head out of the water in water temperatures as low as 44 Fahrenheit.

I read about another woman, the name escapes me. I think she's from South America who was attempting an Antarctic swim. She can actually make her body temperature rise for several degrees using meditation before getting in the water.

Extreme examples, sure. Some folks freeze when it dips below 70. It all depends on body fat, temperament, mental focus, etc.

SerialKiller's picture
i don't have a wet suit, nor

i don't have a wet suit, nor the money to get one.
all the y's around here are out door swimming pools and are closed until about mid April.
and while i'm still a trifathlete, i have much lower body fat than one might think for a 241 (-4lbs, maybe i shouldn't of celebrated my weight loss with a lg frosty :( ), the leanest i can safely go is about 190, unless i lose some of my sexy mussels. speaking of sexy mussels, ever since i started running daily (since i can't swim, and the run i by far my weakest so i've sub a ran in for any swims that i would be doing.) i've notices that my calf is going a um... well it's a solid ridge of muscle from the top of my calf straight down to about 1.5" below my calf, is this normal or have i caught incurable chick cancer* form my wife?

*if you don't watch family guy you won't get it.

deepbluex's picture
I went swimming in 50F water

I went swimming in 50F water and I found it really unpleasantly cold.

? Top