— Forum Discussions —

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
pelicanruck's picture
"Cyclist must have end plugs on their bike" ????

Perhaps most rookie question ever. First tri next weekend. Riding an old mountain bike. My race packet says "bike must have end plugs or will be disqualified." What are end plugs. Googled them, sure enough they look like plugs. But no pics of where they go. Im assuming they go in the ends of the handlebars, but dont want my assumption to keep me from racing.. feel free to publicly ridicule me after you answer.. on a side note, if im correct, why would that be so important you would be dq.

brittda's picture
They go on the end of your

They go on the end of your handlebars just like you think :). With out them it can be considered dangerous with potential exposed metal for both you and someone you may come in contact with.
No worries...I did not know what they were at first either.

go 'gate 2006's picture
Yeah, it's a safety issue.

Yeah, it's a safety issue. They don't want you to accidently take a core sample of yourself or others in the event of a crash.

beads1985's picture
Human swiss cheese ;-O

Human swiss cheese ;-O

TriSooner's picture
Bigger races sell them

Bigger races sell them on-site at the expo. Your lbs should have them for about $.37.

jnrice's picture
Or just drink a bottle of

Or just drink a bottle of wine the night before, cut the cork in half and use those, that or duct tape. I've never seen any check but it's a good idea even if they aren't checking.

brittda's picture
jnrice wrote:Or just drink a

[quote=jnrice]Or just drink a bottle of wine the night before, cut the cork in half and use those, that or duct tape. I've never seen any check but it's a good idea even if they aren't checking. [/quote]

OHHH the last HIM I did they checked and dq'd people before the start until you showed an official you had them on. They walked around the racks and wrote numbers down, then called them off over the loud speaker. Best to have them.

trigirltina2's picture
You really don't want to

You really don't want to crash and have your bar go into your body, beccause you didn't have a bar end plug.

Most races do check for bar end plugs! Rules are meant for a reason-someone died.

jtrimom's picture
don't bikes come with them?

don't bikes come with them? mine did

trigirltina2's picture
Yes. Over time though they

Yes. Over time though they can come off the bike. Just a standard check to see that they are there prior to race. coach has a preety gross and sad story about not having them.

Toothless's picture
They come with handle bar

They come with handle bar tape and grips.

Carlos Mx's picture
I thought handlebars had

I thought handlebars had them for estethic reasons only. Isn't that the reason for handlebar tape, and maybe race wheels too?

Triguy98's picture
If youve got a moutnain

If youve got a moutnain bike, and your bike has grips on it (which it should) if the end of those grips are solid and cover the bar, you are ok. If you can stick your finger into the bar, go get some end plugs, or new grips.

jhudalla's picture
My brother crashed on his

My brother crashed on his bike without bar end, and for some reason or other he ended up getting the bar in his butt-cheek, EXACTLY as said above, it took a 'core' - type gouge out of his butt. It was a shock to see how yellow fat was, aside from the injury itself.

So if you don't have 'm; for your sake, for your butt's sake. Get the end plugs.

pelicanruck's picture
Cool,, dont have them,, but

Cool,, dont have them,, but I get the jist.. My bike has ends so the grips dont cover the end of the bars... What a nice thought though. Core sample... Ha.. Just the thought makes me queasy. Thanks everyone..

chrisgood1's picture
At Xterra Nevada they would

At Xterra Nevada they would not let you in to transition with out them they had a big jug and were giving them away. They made sure you put them in all the way before going in. My lbs will give them to you for free if you know the people working there they always have extras.

NotAsFast's picture
At most of the races I

At most of the races I attend the USAT officials carry pocket fulls. Its better to be seen as a posistive as in "Dude they gave me two bar end plugs..." vs "Dude I got disqualified because I didnt have bar end plugs."

Good PR for the USAT guys and gals, and I have a better respect for them.

Thanks Guys. (And Gals)

azstinger11's picture
The super easy/cheap way to

The super easy/cheap way to solve the issue.... take one US quarter (non of that funny Canadian stuff =p ) and a roll of duct tape. Apply as much tape as practical/desired/left for the quarter not to move and you're done!

jsk85's picture
azstinger11 wrote:The super

[quote=azstinger11]The super easy/cheap way to solve the issue.... take one US quarter (non of that funny Canadian stuff =p ) and a roll of duct tape. Apply as much tape as practical/desired/left for the quarter not to move and you're done![/quote]

However, if Sooner is right saying they are $.37 at the expo, then you are using almost as much in materials as it would cost just to buy a real one...and then there's the labor costs

beads1985's picture
jhudalla wrote:My brother

[quote=jhudalla]My brother crashed on his bike without bar end, and for some reason or other he ended up getting the bar in his butt-cheek, EXACTLY as said above, it took a 'core' - type gouge out of his butt. It was a shock to see how yellow fat was, aside from the injury itself.

So if you don't have 'm; for your sake, for your butt's sake. Get the end plugs.[/quote]

Seems like not having end plugs, took out a 'butt plug' ;-)

? Top