— Forum Discussions —

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
michiels's picture
Off season training

Hi,

this is my first year training for a triathlon (I started in april). I have completed two triathlons this year and want to go into off season training.

How should I approach off season?
Anyone know of a free plan?
Should I still train every day and train bike 3 times, run 3 times and swim 3 times a week?

Any suggestions are welcome.

CadenceGuy's picture
If you spend some time

If you spend some time hanging out around the site here looking through previous posts and the search on the top youll find all sorts of ideas, and training plans depending on your skill level and amount of fitness. Conrads on the first season and good luck!!

beads1985's picture
There it is again, those

There it is again, those words "Off Season"? ;-)

When it is too cold to tri, I run more and hit the pool at the YMCA and do some indoor bike trainer riding, and maybe some spin classes.

I use the time to run marathons and prep for other marathons.

michiels's picture
beads1985 the cold is not a

beads1985 the cold is not a problem. Here where I live I can swim, ride and run ALL year long. No cold weather at all.
I would do Off Season only because people recommende me, not because I have to.

Eric

Toothless's picture
Most long-course athletes I

Most long-course athletes I know train all year. After the last race of the season they might take a couple of weeks off to relax, but then they start laying the foundation for the next season. I am already doing a long training block with a bike focus since that is my weakest event and the one that takes the most time to train. I dialed back my swim and run training to more of a "maintenance" level during this phase.

If you are burned out from the tri season, stay active doing other activites that get neglected during the season (tennis, skiing, or whatever). On the other hand, if you are already eager for the new season, put together a conservative training plan so you're not in peak race shape before Christmas. Work on limiters (swim form, bike endurance, etc.) but try to keep it fun.

jnrice's picture
Beads and Toothless have it

Beads and Toothless have it right. A lot of, if not most, triathletes don't have an "off season" as Beads so sarcastically stated. We are active people by nature and would probably burn holes through walls with our eyes if you made us sit on our couch all winter. Training in the off season is one of my favorite types of training. A lot of the schedules (I like the ideas in the triathlets training bible by Joe Friel) have you working on "base" at this time. Typically this means longer, lower intensity training. It helps you relax after a crazy race season, and should be aimed at NOT getting injured.

A key for me is finding off season partners who may or may not be triathletes. I use this time to network with other athletes and work on things I neglect like my eating habits, pre-work day swims, etc.

Anton's picture
Didn't we just go through
azmojo804's picture
what off season? :) I'm

what off season? :) I'm using the "off season" to do a half-marathon, since running is my worst of the 3 sports. But, all in all, I'm in AZ, there isn't really an off season here (in my opinion). I still bike and run in 110+ degrees and I still ride/run in under 40 degrees. I just switch the priorities of the events. But, the weather isn't as cold as in other areas, but when in Washington, I loved running in the snow. :)

beads1985's picture
Anton wrote:Didn't we just

[quote=Anton]Didn't we just go through this?
http://www.trifuel.com/forum/16000/withdrawal-symptoms
[/quote]

Yup!! ;-)

stewarba's picture
To me, the "offseason" is

To me, the "offseason" is the period of time between my last race of the season and the start of STRUCTURED Triathlon training. It is not to be taken literally as a time when you can sit on your rear end and eat Bon-bons but rather an opertunity to do other physical activities and to cross-train. I tend to do more weight lifting in the offseason or play a sport like basketball or get involved in a winter soccer league. I don't stop the swimming, biking or running, but I may not do as much of those activities. As a matter of fact I probably won't swim again until early spring.

Personally, I think there are many benefits to having an "offseason" and despite what this thread would lead you to believe, it is a recommended period of time in your yearly training plan - or at least according to Joe Friel. He co-wrote this article on Trifuel on this very subject -
[URL=http://www.trifuel.com/triathlon/triathlon-training/a-triathletes-offsea... it Here[/URL]

jonovision_man's picture
Up here (Toronto, Canada) we

Up here (Toronto, Canada) we have snow...from mid-December to early March usually. So cycling takes a back burner. I'll do indoor spinning stuff, and will venture outdoors when it's -4C or warmer because I hate being stationary, but in general it's "off-season" for cycling.

I love running in the snow, though, and will run right through winter. And I'll live at the pool.

In fact, cycling offseason is exactly why I took up running... which is why I did a duathlon... which is what made me decide to learn to swim... the rest is history. :)

jono

Triguy98's picture
stewarba wrote:To me, the

[quote=stewarba]To me, the "offseason" is the period of time between my last race of the season and the start of STRUCTURED Triathlon training.

Personally, I think there are many benefits to having an "offseason" and despite what this thread would lead you to believe, it is a recommended period of time in your yearly training plan [/quote]

I agree here. I tend to have at least two months that are not devoted to triathlon. I still SBR, but not as part of a Base phase. Marathon training in this point of the year constitutes a triathlon "offseason," as you arent training specifically for a tri. I personally tend to MTB a LOT more in the "offseason"

beads1985's picture
Basically, I exercise for my

Basically, I exercise for my health, and I do this all year round.
Events like marathons and triathlons provide me a goal to focus on.

I pick many events each year to keep it interesting.
In the nicer weather they tend to be triathlons.
During the rest of the year my events tend to be running.

I like to do lots of other things to stay active, and during some parts of the year my training is less structured but I don't truly have an off season.

fastncrash's picture
How about this approach to

How about this approach to the question: How much volume and intensity in the non-competition months? Weather indoors or out, how much is enough? And is there a too much when it comes to intensity.

(Note: I totally forgot I had this account until cleaning out my inbox today. O' well.)

Ironmom's picture
From now until February, I

From now until February, I will swim bike and run at "maintenance" levels. That means running 3x a week, swimming 2x a week, and biking (usually indoors on the trainer) 2 - 3x a week. I'll probably do a half-marathon in May, so I'll start ramping up my long runs in January towards that. In April I'll do some bike time trials, so if I can get out on my bike on any non-rainy days in the spring, I'll do that too. First sprint tri will be in March or April.

In the meantime, I like to use the winter to concentrate on other sports that I really enjoy. Hubby and I play on a league volleyball team, and I focus more on my martial arts. This spring I will be going for my brown belt, so it will be a very intense season for karate this winter. We like to snowboard in the winter as well, snowshoe and cross-country ski if we can fit that in. I don't ever have a season where I'm not doing sports, but I find it enjoyable to have some time where triathlon training is not as focused as it becomes closer to racing season.

? Top