— Forum Discussions —

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
jnrice's picture
Cold marathon, what would you wear?

So as is life, the weather in Bozeman, MT has been beautiful for weeks now and my second marathon is this Sunday (I feel reasonably ready). The kicker is that it is supposed to be kind of cold, about 40's, and rainy. I hate this temp range for races. i can never decide what to wear. Shorts, shirt and be cold? Pants and long sleeve and be warm? gloves, hat... ahhh... mostly prerace jitters. Any marathon vets out there with suggestions?

TriSooner's picture
It's the rain that's

It's the rain that's throwing me. Shorts and gloves for sure. Shirt? One layer, no shell or jacket, just a long sleeve poly but with a half-zipper so you can unzip. Dry fit hat with a bill to keep rain off face, not a tuque/beanie, which will soak up sweat and rain.

beads1985's picture
The rain is what is going to

The rain is what is going to get you. I would go with tights or long shorts. and certainly gloves that are waterproof. I would go with a few layers up top. Tight fitted short sleeve top wicking fabric, like Under Armour for your base. Second layer long sleeve, wicking fabric, looser fit. Third layer Wind/weather proof jacket with hood and full zipper. I agree with a Dry fit hat with a bill to keep rain off your face.
On top of everything I would wear a long trashbag to keep out the rain and wind and hold in the heat. If you are realy cold run the first couple of miles with it on.

You can always remove layers if you get cold, but if you can't get warm you could be in trouble

Anton's picture
Yikes! Perfect hypothermia

Yikes! Perfect hypothermia weather!I'd dress heavier that Sooner, but I'm a wimp!
In the 40's and rain and a Marathon, I'd go tights actually and a long sleeve shirt. Maybe a throw away over that that I can chuck once warm. Gloves and a hat like sooner suggested. No shells.
If you're going to hammer the race do shorts...just lollygag? Tights.Bear in mind if it's cold, rainy and windy..the wind chill will drop it into the 30's.

cayman's picture
As mentioned, layer on top

As mentioned, layer on top and peel as you warm up. another option might be arm warmers if you don't want to go with a long sleeve shirt, easy to take off and store, an old pair of hi-top basketball socks make great warmers and are disposable, +1 on the gloves and hat.

you might want to consider tri or compression shorts to help trap heat, keeping the "boys" cozy and your leg muscles warm, long tights? maybe, your call, but they're going to hold the rain and cold for the whole race. Rain and soggy socks create the perfect storm for blisters, vaseline your feet before the race and tape any known hot spots. Feel free to sing in the rain and have some fun out there.

gfd
gfd's picture
Similar conditions at Boston

Similar conditions at Boston 2 years ago, but luckily the rain stopped by mile 2. I was hammering it, so I went with compression shorts under my running shorts, long sleeve UnderArmour (not the thick winter kind), and a singlet over that. On my head I went with a thin winter running beanie. I am bald so I get cold up top real easy. The clothes were perfect for the weather. I also had a garbage bag, like Beads suggested, that I ditched by mile 2. When the conditions get bad it takes my mind off the aches and pains and other things that can make a marathon extra painful. Hopefully the same will happen for you. Good luck.

tri-ac's picture
gfd wrote:Similar conditions

[quote=gfd]Similar conditions at Boston 2 years ago, but luckily the rain stopped by mile 2. I was hammering it, so I went with compression shorts under my running shorts, long sleeve UnderArmour (not the thick winter kind), and a singlet over that. On my head I went with a thin winter running beanie. I am bald so I get cold up top real easy. The clothes were perfect for the weather. I also had a garbage bag, like Beads suggested, that I ditched by mile 2. When the conditions get bad it takes my mind off the aches and pains and other things that can make a marathon extra painful. Hopefully the same will happen for you. Good luck.[/quote]

+1
this sounds like my winter gear complete with bald head protection :)

for active raining conditions, change the hat to one with a bill as mentioned above and replace the top layer shirt with a water resistant full zip vest...the bag is for emergencies...you're planning this now

? Top