— Forum Discussions —

45 posts / 0 new
Last post
diluzio123's picture
M Dot Tattoo?

I've read this debate a couple of times and wanted to see where others stood on this issue. Is getting an M Dot Tattoo after completing an Ironman ok?

jhudalla's picture
::Search Button:: Me

::Search Button::

Me personally, I want to get some ink-done when I finish my 1st IM, but I'm thinkin it's going to be more of the 140.6 sort. Personal preference. I think it's awexome when I see people w/ m-dot tattoos, it's like some sort of extended family.

TriSooner's picture
You tell me.
snapdragon's picture
My husband and I each got

My husband and I each got m-dot tattoos for our 10th anniversary. He finished his first IM in 2003 and I finished in 2005.

We also raced together for our 10th, which was great. My first triathlon ever was the morning we got engaged. We did that race together too. Our oldest son did his first youth tri last summer at almost 6 years old. He did great, once we got out of the way. He is "training" now for this year's event.

I love the tattoos. It didn't hurt either. It's a great conversation starter.
Sara

jhudalla's picture
wow.. I'm thinking mine

wow.. I'm thinking mine will be on my thigh where only special people can see it... or down the outside of my quad... who knows. I may get a tattoo on my face like mtyson.

laprokop's picture
I will be getting one as

I will be getting one as well. Although My Baby's momma does not think its a good idea she said it was like I am gloating/showing off by getting one. I dont care though... I mean think about it how many of the actualy human beings on earth can actually finish one... If people think it is gloating I say... Gloat on!

kylie's picture
I'm not a fan -- to me it is

I'm not a fan -- to me it is a brand, and I don't really want permanent logos for any brand of something I like on my body. Plus I am not a fan of tatoos on myself in general. If I did want a tatoo, it would probably have a tri aspect to it but would not be a company logo but something that had more meaning for me personally.

beads1985's picture
Got one on my lower right

Got one on my lower right calf. I did IM Florida. It is small but I wanted it.

tsilcyc's picture
All the cool kids are

All the cool kids are getting the Blue Screen of Death...

[img]http://media.techeblog.com/images/awesometattoo.jpg[/img]

ChunkyB's picture
Holy crap. That blue screen

Holy crap. That blue screen of death tattoo is the bomb. Almost as cool as [url=http://www.destructoid.com/teenager-burns-a-pac-man-into-his-flesh-93655... kid who burned PacMan into his skin with a laser etcher. [/url]

Personally, if I was going to get a triathlon tattoo, I'd get a more non-brand specific one. I have seen a few with flowing pictures of someone swimming, biking, and running, and they're the bomb.

[img]http://www.kensweightloss.com/tattoo.jpg[/img]

[img]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1069/1343472840_7f58994f63.jpg[/img]

gfd
gfd's picture
TriSooner, that is the

TriSooner, that is the nicest one I have seen.

I went with a capital T with 3 circles above on my left shoulder. The circles have an S, B, and R in them and the T has 140.6 across it. All black with yellow letters and numbers. I love it. If I had a digital camera I would post a pic.

diluzio123's picture
Love the pics! TriSooner

Love the pics! TriSooner great Tattoo!!! Love hearing everyones opinions.

TriSooner's picture
gfd wrote:TriSooner, that is

[quote=gfd]TriSooner, that is the nicest one I have seen. [/quote]

psst . . . it is actually a cover-up . . . of an -ex's name, hence the size. And kylie, you're right: after I got it, I realized it was a corporate logo no different than a Ford tattoo. Don't point out the obvious!

StephenPDennis's picture
Personally, I don't buy the

Personally, I don't buy the idea that some tattoos are just for the wearer, a tattoo is very 'outgoing' message. So for me, it would have to be something I would everyone to see and it would have to convey a message that I would proud for everyone to know. So, yes I've wanted an ironman tattoo for a few years but after reading these posts it definitely wont be an mdot, not sure what it would be yet but I think I'm going to have pleeaaannnnttttyyy of time to decide!

Mike20124's picture
I'm sticking with the idea

I'm sticking with the idea that the name Ironman and the MDOT logo are much bigger than a corportate logo. Like the tread about doing a 140.6 mile distance and calling it an IM. IM and the logo are synonymous with the event like kleenex,xerox, coke (as mentioned in the other thread). And I have an MDOT tattoo and don't feel I'm advertising a brand -

ht001's picture
kylie wrote:I'm not a fan --

[quote=kylie]I'm not a fan -- to me it is a brand, and I don't really want permanent logos for any brand.[/quote]

Kylie you have just read (written?) my mind. I am very proud of my 2 (so far) IM finishes and certainly wear the logo on clothing, but the thought of having a logo of any brand on my body forever is just not something I'm into. The blisters on my feet, the shape of my legs, and the odd tan lines on my back are better little reminders for me of the magnitude of my achievement.

It is cool that those who have the tattoo's have them and allow me to ID fellow iron people easily. It is just not something I'm keen on.

spomeroy's picture
I'd say it's a wholly

I'd say it's a wholly personal decision. If getting the mdot is to signify completing a full Ironman to yourself as some personal milestone then by all means do it.

But if it were me I would only seriously consider it if I finished proper. No DNS/DNF. Just my best solid effort for that. Which will be next year. I've already got the real estate scoped out for it.

cheers
S.

justjames's picture
I think the M-Dot tattoo

I think the M-Dot tattoo would be about the only tattoo that I would ever get. Then again, I made it 6 years in the Marine Corps without a tattoo, so the M-Dot doesn't get much of a chance. I think tattoos look pretty cool on other people, I just change my mind too much to want something that would last as long as a tattoo.

hateloveschool's picture
I'm considering getting a

I'm considering getting a tattoo right now, a celtic cross on the upper-right side of my back. I haven't decided exactly what the design is going to be, but it's going to have a phrase and a couple words on it that have some important meaning to me.

On the M-Dot tattoo, it's definitely a personal decision. I don't know if I would get one though, because of the other one I'm considering. If I did though, it would be small and on the back side of my calf, so it's more visible during races.

Ironmom's picture
Personally, though I've

Personally, though I've completed an official IM, I wouldn't get an M-dot, for reasons others have mentioned (plus, the Ironman corporation tried to threaten me for using Ironmom on a T-shirt) so I have no happy feelings toward the corporate side of the whole Ironman gig.

I have considered someday getting a coverup tattoo for my old tattoo from my punk rock band:
[img]http://farm1.static.flickr.com/193/461166246_f855beb44b_m.jpg[/img]

and if I ever got that, it would be some kind of flowing black swimmer/biker/runner thing like was posted above. Perhaps in a spiral going outwards.

jtrimom's picture
your avatar doesn't do you

your avatar doesn't do you justice, ironmom

rebekahliz's picture
I'm no artist, but personal

I'm no artist, but personal responsibility for anything permanent on my body is important to me. So I've designed all my own tattoos. Came up with this one in the spring and love the minimalist approach.

diluzio123's picture
As other people have said, I

As other people have said, I would love to have a tattoo, but nothing has ever kept my interest long enough. I've fallen in love with tris. They fit my training habits and I've always enjoyed endurance sports. An Ironman is in my long term goals and would love to have a tattoo that shows that accomplishment. I do like the idea of a Triathlon tattoo, such as the two shown by ChunkyB or a personal design as by rebekahliz.

The issue is that a tattoo isn't going anywhere and the tattoo needs to have some significance.

nyfan21's picture
I would get an M-Dot tattoo;

I would get an M-Dot tattoo; not sure if I am going to but I would.

mccnc's picture
Doing an ironman is

Doing an ironman is something you're proud of--right? You'll probably never regret doing it-so why not get something that signifies that accomplishment.

I don't think it's cheesy at all to do it. I don't think it matter if you see it as a brand name or not. You did an ironman-it's that simple.

Do it!

kylie's picture
There are a lot of things

There are a lot of things I've done that I'm proud of that I haven't gotten permanently on my body. And I don't regret doing those things either.

Ironmom's picture
kylie wrote:There are a lot

[quote=kylie]There are a lot of things I've done that I'm proud of that I haven't gotten permanently on my body. And I don't regret doing those things either.[/quote]

+1 on this. I can't even imagine the ink that would require ;-)

tsilcyc's picture
I'm getting this tattoed on
cjhoffmn's picture
I have to admit that I've

I have to admit that I've never even possibly considered a tattoo until I started running tri's. The idea of an MDot was great, until I thought about about the corp aspects of this. I am starting to think maybe that a very small "140.6" might be interesting. Only people in the know would get it and others would be left wondering...

diva_mom's picture
tsilcyc wrote:I'm getting

[quote=tsilcyc]I'm getting this tattoed on my calf...

[img]http://www.aps.org/publications/apsnews/200611/images/nobel_medal.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

i wish.

Anton's picture
I love it when this thread

I love it when this thread gets re-introduced for two reasons:
1) I get to see that pic of Ironmom again!
2) It gets me to go back and re-read my blog post on the subject Reminding me why I do this.
http://anton.trifuel.net/2006/09/12/why-i-have-an-im-tat/

In a cool side note: We live next to the National Institute Of Standards and Technology (NIST) here in Gaithersburg. I have neighbors and have met others who actually earned one of the above medals...
One guy, a physics type can explain exactly why a bike does what it does...very cool, (but boring.)

Pages

? Top