— Forum Discussions —

swim times-water temps..50 meter pools

So, I know that there is a difference in swim times the warmer the pool but does anyone know if there is a formula like 3 secs per 100 meters per degree or something along those lines? The pool I swim in is kept at 81 degrees during the school year but is at 83 now. My times are horrible (read: anxiety(!!) since I'm doing Lake Placid in 10 days!).

Another question related to that is if there is a big difference between swimming in 25 meter vs 50 meter pool. I tried that yesterday and my times were slower too. Could it be that I all of a sudden lost my mojo?? or is it outside factors?

Thanks!

Warm water, and less wall to push off of. Don't be skerd, you'll do great at LP.

I guess I don't have a great answer for you but I had the same wories before my first tri.

My swim times in the pool (1 mile) was around 48 minutes. A horible time. However, once I was in the water, wearing a wet suit and actually racing my race time was 34 minutes (1 mile). For the two tri's that I've done my 100yrd time has been 2:10 and 1:52. I think once you get into race conditions that you'll find that you're faster then you were in the pool.

so I assume you are doing Short course Yards to short course Meters. The difference in a 50 is APPROXIMATELY 2 seconds depending on your time. For example the conversion from an 18.0 yards to meters is 20.0. BUT if you are say at a 28.0 for yards then the conversion would be 30.1 . The conversion to Meters adds approximately another second (.8) in the 18 second example, .9 in the 28 second example. Difference in long course and short (25 vs 50 meter) is really the wall factor and not having that to push off. Got this from my conversion chart.

For conversion short course yards to short meter:
For 50-100-200 yards to meters is 1.11 times yards
for 500 and 1000 its .8925 X yards
for 1650 (mile basically) its 1.09362(yard time divided by 16.5) + 1.6 +15
Then to convert short course meters to long, you add .8 second for the additional turns.

You will do fine, don't stress :)

From personal experience, usually when the water is warmer times seem to be higher, although I'm not sure if just a 2 degree change would affect it too too much. Also, the switch from a 25 to 50 meter pool does make a big difference because you do not get the "rest" from the walls (even if you do flip turns) and the extra streamline push off. But don't worry about it you'll do great at lake placid!

I should say, this is not my first tri nor my first time doing Lake Placid. Last year my swim was 1:15 and change and I was hoping to drop 5 minutes off this time.

So, brittda, this formula is so helpful. I didn't even realize that the 25 meter pool was actually yards until I just called them! Thank you!

The water temp was a different question. I actually tried the 50 meter pool only because the other pool was so warm. I know 2 degrees doesn't sound like a lot but it feels like I'm getting into bath water (I think they might be fudging the difference and that it's more than 2 degrees but I guess there's n way to know.)

Thanks again!

[quote=Donna]So, I know that there is a difference in swim times the warmer the pool but does anyone know if there is a formula like 3 secs per 100 meters per degree or something along those lines? The pool I swim in is kept at 81 degrees during the school year but is at 83 now. My times are horrible (read: anxiety(!!) since I'm doing Lake Placid in 10 days!).

Another question related to that is if there is a big difference between swimming in 25 meter vs 50 meter pool. I tried that yesterday and my times were slower too. Could it be that I all of a sudden lost my mojo?? or is it outside factors?

Thanks![/quote]

Relax. You practice and practiced over and over and over.. See the picture. You'll do great. Don't get caught up in seconds. Open water is definatley different then the pool all the time.

[quote=Donna] (read: anxiety(!!) since I'm doing Lake Placid in 10 days!).

[/quote]

Donna, best of luck at IMLP. Don't let the taper play too much with your mind!

Thanks for the well wishes! I loved to qualify but it's unheard of in my AG (W30-34) to qualify with a 1:15 swim....hopefully it's a good day for me!

In my swimming days I was always told it is like comparing apples to oranges. There are many factors that come into play. However, I was always given the answer of 10%. You are roughly 10% slower in LCM then SCY. Hope this helps and good luck at Placid!

? Top