— Forum Discussions —

73 posts / 0 new
Last post
KitKat's picture
Race motivation song

What song motivates you to kick some ass on race day?

Battle without Honor or Humanity - (Kill Bill Theme Song) - by Tomoyasu Hotei does it for me every time. I love it with the dialog between Uma and Lucy Lui. "You didn't think it was going to be that easy, Did you?" "You know for a moment there, I kind of did" is clipped in the middle.

tri-ac's picture
"I like to move it, move

"I like to move it, move it!"

[just watched Madagascar with my son]

kylie's picture
Hahah I love the Madagascar

Hahah I love the Madagascar song! I also get inspired by Dori singing "just keep swimmin'!"

I don't have a race day song or anything like that. Just haven't ever uses music that way.

diluzio123's picture
Animals by Nickle Back. My

Animals by Nickle Back. My wife will sing the "what was that" and "OMG that's my dad outside the car!" when it get's to that part. Get's me through the tough parts of the race when I think about that.

D

ChunkyB's picture
"The Melting Point of Wax"

"The Melting Point of Wax" by Thrice (check my sig).

It's kind of based on the story of Icarus, and it talks about how you shouldn't care about the melting point of wax, and you should go defy everybody else's limits that they've set for you and stuff. It's so freaking good.

Just for a taste, here are a few lines from the song (which is awesomely hard and good)

I've waited for this moment all my life and more,
and now I see so clearly what I could not see before.
The time is now or never, and this chance won't come again.
Throw caution and myself into the wind.

There's no promise of safety with these secondhand wings,
but I'm willing to find out what impossible means.

Man, honestly, I urge all of you to go download it right now. Or at least listen to the 30-second demo. [url=http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/The-Melting-Point-Of-Wax-lyrics-T... are the full lyrics.

Now, I have to go listen to that song. I'm getting pumped up just singing it to myself in my head.

JMA
JMA's picture
Depends on the race. If

Depends on the race. If it's going to be a long day and I want a song to stick with me, I'll listen to some classic rock, Led Zeppelin, the Stones, or AC/DC.

If it's going to be a fast race and I want to get pumped up for the pain and effort, I'll put on some good Chicago punk rock, Naked Raygun or the Jesus Lizard.

jerallen's picture
A lot of eminem songs get me

A lot of eminem songs get me pumped especially Lose Yourself.
"You only get one shot do not miss your chance to blow, this opportunity comes once in a lifetime."

Anton's picture
Well, I rarely "kick ass" on

Well, I rarely "kick ass" on race day....that is unless I count my own.
Jimi (If you have to ask...well, shame on you.) Live stuff.
Ten Years After (live only)
Kraftwerk

caeagle16's picture
"Right Now" by Van Halen

"Right Now" by Van Halen

diva_mom's picture
Easy on Yourself by Drive By

Easy on Yourself by Drive By Truckers (Jason Isbell)

StephenPDennis's picture
"Critical Acclaim" by

"Critical Acclaim" by Avenged Sevenfold is typically the last song I'll hear before a race. "A Favor, House Atlantic" by Coheed and Cambria also gets me pumped 100%.

Sometimes before a race I actually need to calm down, so I'll do some deep breathing meditation and listen to Nickel Creek, a folk/bluegrass group.

By the way Chunky, Trice is awesome, good pick.

zagfan's picture
"Here to Stay" by Korn April

"Here to Stay" by Korn

April 2003, middle of the night, just south of Baghdad. We were about to roll into the city after a long trip from Kuwait and I had this CD in. It gets me jacked up every time I hear it, instantly takes me back to that night and gets the adrenaline flowing. Now if I could only kick some ass on race day.

overcome's picture
For me I need to calm down

For me I need to calm down before the race so I listen to The Format. But for motivation anyone looking for motivation I would say Requiem or Beethoven by Trans-Siberian Orchestra.

ht001's picture
"It's My Life" by Bon

"It's My Life" by Bon Jovi...

I wasn't a fan of this song when it was originally released, but now it is a staple for motivation for workouts or races. Lyrics like "Better stand tall when they're calling you out - Don't bend, don't break, baby, don't back down " just seem to work for me ...

... I just want to live while I'm alive

xc800runner's picture
Eagles of Death Metal: "I

Eagles of Death Metal: "I Want You so Hard" from Death By Sexy.

Always gets me feeling hot in my wetsuit. Or perhaps it's the chest panels on the 2008 Zoots that make me feel like Batman.

di4tri's picture
"eye of the tiger" all the

"eye of the tiger" all the way. I imagine I am Rocky. haha

TriOnLife's picture
"I like to move it" always

"I like to move it" always reminds me of Anton Apolo Ono on Dancing with the Stars. (video quality marginal) His routine on that song is what put him in first and it was really hot. I never knew before why Juliana Hough wore a tiger print outfit but now I think I see the connection!

I like listening to "Get Me Outta Here" by Jet when I want to pick up the pace. It's a good pre-race song, too.

jtrimom's picture
all star by Smashmouth it's

all star by Smashmouth
it's a Shrek song

wrobis1's picture
Believe - The

Believe - The Bravery
Welcome to the Fold - Filter
Godspeed - Anberlin

Captain Mal's picture
That Titanic song by Celine

That Titanic song by Celine Dion. Either that or Michael Bolton. (insert best line from Office Space)

M
M's picture
"Celebrity Skin," -- Hole

"Celebrity Skin," -- Hole

"No second billing, cause you're a star now....can you stand up or will you just fall down...have you ever felt so used up as this....she obliterated everything she kissed..."

bhanrah's picture
"The Battle" from the

"The Battle" from the Gladiator soundtrack or "Sunshine" - Silversun Pick-ups

KHAD's picture
Immediate Music - A Call To

Immediate Music - A Call To Arms

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8l249bM0FE actually, it comes from seeing this video. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

Star's picture
"Lose Yourself" by

"Lose Yourself" by Eminem...."You only get one shot" and "You can do ANYTHING you put your mind to" just about sums it up.

Mike20124's picture
"Lose Yourself" by Eminem

"Lose Yourself" by Eminem set to IM video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNnSM7xAZNU

Motivational!

Donna's picture
This is a great list. I've

This is a great list. I've been looking for a pump up mix for LP. What is the name of the typical Ironman song? You know, the one they always play? It gets me so pumped up every time I hear it.

Also, Bruce Springstein "Born to Run" Actually a lot of his songs get me excited!

TriOnLife's picture
Seems like there are 2 songs

Seems like there are 2 songs that are always played at races - The Eminem one (Loose Yourself) and that Black Eyed Peas song "Let's Get it Started"

I also like to listen to "Glorious Day" by Weezer just to get in that "happy to be alive, lucky to be able to race" mood to offset the nerves.

TriOnLife's picture
Oh - and the U2 Song -

Oh - and the U2 Song - Beautiful Day. You just can't start a race without that song.

Triguy98's picture
The last song I listen to

The last song I listen to before getting out fo the car race morning is Metallica's "Seek and Destroy" I also like Dope's "Burn" and Nine Inch Nails "Sin."

Ironmom's picture
For this last Team in

For this last Team in Training Pac Crest weekend, we listened to "Start Wearing Purple" by Gogol Bordello (TNT race singlets are purple):

Video here

That song cracks me up every time.

Donna's picture
Those are good IM songs

Those are good IM songs too..... I was thinking of the song that is mostly instrumental (or electronica) and I think the only words are "Right here, Right now.....Right here, Right now"

Pages

? Top