— Forum Discussions —

65 posts / 0 new
Last post
Milesofsmiles15's picture
Ingrown hair on my taint

At first i thought it was just a weird sore from my new bike shorts, but it's slowly been getting worse, and i remembered, it started a week after i shaved my legs and some of the surrounding area. I can barely see, and among the other hairs it seems like one is coming out of the sore. I tried to tweeze it out, but no luck. it's getting really painful, is there any way to ease it out without necessarily being able to see it? I still live at home and am not at all comfortable having my parents get it for me, should i just make a dr's appt?

CadenceGuy's picture
Just dig that bad boy right

Just dig that bad boy right outta there!!!! Is 'taint' the medical term for that area?, Bueller, Bueller. Ive never had one in that area before but just get at it, more so right after the shower when the skin is soft and the poors and all are open.

i can't even get a good view

i can't even get a good view of it!! i would love nothing more than to dig it out, i even tried setting up an elaborate mirror system, but no dice

TriSooner's picture
Are you sure it is an

Are you sure it is an ingrown hair? Probably a saddle soar. I know TMI, but my little blister buddy looks/feels like an ingrown, but it aint. My mission in life is to convince people of the greatness that is duct tape on the perenium

[img=640x480]http://cache.lifehacker.com/assets/images/gallery/17/2007/05/medium_4838...

from what i can see there is

from what i can see there is even a little white puss like cap on the top of it

and no, i'm not sexually active, so it's nothing like that

brittda's picture
probably a saddle

probably a saddle sore....welcome to the wonderful world of cycling.

How would i get ride of a

How would i get ride of a saddle sore? i've had it for around a month, i'd think a saddle sore would go away before that.

stewarba's picture
You really need to get in

You really need to get in there! something like this:

[img]http://www.laffyerassoff.com/funny-pictures/people/II/heads-up-2.jpg[/img]

diva_mom's picture
A candidate for the TMI

A candidate for the TMI award?

tri-ac's picture
milesofsmiles - preparation

milesofsmiles - preparation H is good for post ride troubles like saddle sores...it reduces the swelling and tenderness

trisooner - is the duct tape a mediating layer or a hair waxing technique? [rrrrrripppp! arrrrrgh!!!] or both?

jbird2131's picture
i dare you to post a pic.

i dare you to post a pic.

cutiger95's picture
Only solution that I know of

Only solution that I know of is to get in there and get her out. You really need a girlfriend who is in the medical field. Try a nurse and these issues will take care of themselves.

beads1985's picture
cutiger95 wrote:Only

[quote=cutiger95]Only solution that I know of is to get in there and get her out. You really need a girlfriend who is in the medical field. Try a nurse and these issues will take care of themselves.[/quote]

That is what you do when you have a girlfriend in a medical field,....
...when you want to break up with her.

Seriously, if you tried clhot compresses and other self remedies make an appointment with your Doctor.

Second, stop shaving your 'taint'
The hair down there is supposed to be there to help you and shaving it won't make you more aero or any sexier to the ladies.

Good luck!!

emzman's picture
I've got a story for you

I've got a story for you all. I had a similar problem a couple years ago. I had a hair follicle get infected around my sit bone. I didn't think anything of it. I thought that if I wash good enough down there, that it would eventually go away. A week later, the infection got worse, to the point where I couldn't sit down. I ended up going to an urgent care facility where the doctor ended up cutting open the infection and squeezing out all the puss. She put gauze in the hole and I had to wear a maxi pad for the next 3 days because of leakage. This whole ordeal was very embarrassing in the fact that the doctor was very beautiful. If you have good insurance, I would go and have a doctor look at it before things get worse.

theShiba's picture
jbird2131 wrote:i dare you

[quote=jbird2131]i dare you to post a pic. [/quote]

Pics or it didn't happen...

StephenPDennis's picture
Ahh, the internet at its

Ahh, the internet at its finest.

Perhaps a new category for the TriFuel awards -
"The Pity Award" for the most cringe inducing pic (perhaps use links and not just posting them for the sake of the squeamish/underaged) ?

jtrimom's picture
okay, I just got convinced

okay, I just got convinced against hair removal in that area

brittda's picture
jtrimom wrote:okay, I just

[quote=jtrimom]okay, I just got convinced against hair removal in that area[/quote]

You don't have to be removing it to have this happen. If there is a hair folicle it can happen...although I guess if it has been permanently removed/reduced it may remove the posibility.

PJT
PJT's picture
Saddle sores are infections

Saddle sores are infections caused by bacteria. The friction of riding gives the bacteria the opening it needs to get a sore. Ingrown hairs are a common way for them to start. In any event, you need to lay off of riding for a few days, wear loose clothing, and treat with epsom salt baths, etc. while this heals. If it doesn't resolve soon, see a doc. What starts off as a painful ingrown hair can turn into a very painful cyst if you're not careful. You may need a course of antibiotics or an excision if it gets bad enough.

Once you are healed up, take precautions against this happening again:

1. Bacteria thrive in the warm and sweaty confines of a used pair of bike shorts. Get out of your bike shorts ASAP after every ride and get into something lightweight and breatheable. I keep a pair of cheap lined running shorts on hand if I know I have a long time after the bike before I'll hit a shower.

2. If you are not hitting the shower immediately after your ride, carry and use an alcohol/antibiotic wipe.

3. Wash your bike shorts after every ride. No exceptions.

4. Goes without saying, but make sure you are washing thoroughly with a good soap during your showers.

5. Chamois Butt'r or other body lubricants that reduce friction in the saddle area are your friends on a bike ride. Use them liberally.

iamtb13's picture
A clear candidate for he TMI

A clear candidate for he TMI award. If pics are posted - I think we have a clear winner.

jtrimom's picture
brittda wrote:jtrimom

[quote=brittda][quote=jtrimom]okay, I just got convinced against hair removal in that area[/quote]

You don't have to be removing it to have this happen. If there is a hair folicle it can happen...although I guess if it has been permanently removed/reduced it may remove the posibility.[/quote]
hmmm...I have never had an ingrown hair except where I tried to remove the hair and it grew back painfully (bikini area and legs, mostly) It sounds super painful in a more "sensitive" area...
is "taint" a scientific term? I am not exactly sure where it is located...anyone want to eloborate, since it seems no one will be posting pics ;)

fpugsley's picture
I didnt know how to phrase

I didnt know how to phrase it without sounding dirty so, from Wikipedia:
Taint is a slang term used to refer to the perineum (the region of the human body between the testicles or vulva and the anus). It is a portmanteau of "it ain't." This term has no basis in medical terminology and is most often considered lewd and mildly obscene.

iamtb13's picture
+2 Very politically correct

+2 Very politically correct answer. Well done.

jtrimom's picture
thanks for the education :)

thanks for the education :)

zcowgirl3's picture
After reading all of

After reading all of this...

...I don't have pain down there till now.
Wow. The duct tape did it in for me!

cutiger95's picture
The issue at hand is most

The issue at hand is most likely a Boil:

Boil or furuncle is a skin disease caused by the inflammation of hair follicles, thus resulting in the localized accumulation of pus and dead tissue.

Now most of the time these will go away and are simply as someone else said a result of a nick or damage around the immediate area that has allowed a bacteria or fungus into the follicle. Get the core out and it will go away. However most of the time these suckers are extremely painful a removal by a professional would be recommended.

Please don't post a picture, I went in to engineering to avoid such things.

diva_mom's picture
I'm still stuck on the

I'm still stuck on the concept of a guy with a Brazilian.

diva_mom wrote:I'm still

[quote=diva_mom]I'm still stuck on the concept of a guy with a Brazilian.

[/quote]
whenever i shave my legs i generally trim everything down, and shave a few areas (i'd explain further, but i'll refrain)

but for progress on the saddle sore/ingrown

i managed to get the hair out and it got a lot smaller through today, if it doesn't go down all the way within a few days i might try lancing it, and if that doesn't work i'll get a dr's help.

emzman's picture
Make sure everything is

Make sure everything is sterilized and clean before you start poking around down there.

theShiba's picture
emzman wrote:Make sure

[quote=emzman]Make sure everything is sterilized and clean before you start poking around down there.[/quote]

That's what she said.

Sorry, but the thread was already bad enough, so I figured... how much damage can I really do?

jtrimom's picture
not to sound stupid and go

not to sound stupid and go on about the verbage, but, why the word taint? I got that it's a combination of it & ain't, but it ain't WHAT? maybe I am completely obtuse, but I don't get it

Pages

? Top