— Forum Discussions —

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
jddk23's picture
Sore quads - Overtrained or something else?

Hello everybody,

I have a question about some discomfort I’ve been feeling later and it worries me. I’ve made an appointment with the doctor, but till I can see him I wanted to see if you experienced this. My quads are too sore and nothing seems to release them; especially the top front and the internal lower section (Rectus Femoris and Vastus Medialis).

I thought at first that I was overtraining, and took a week off, with some recreational short and low intensity rides and some short swims, but still the discomfort continues in both legs as soon as I run a few miles. I haven’t changed the intensity of my training abruptly, and I’ve been training for almost 2 years now. I don’t know what this could be related to other than work-related stress and bad rest.

Could that be simply overtraining and I should completely stop for a while? Or it could be something else? And if I had to stop completely, how long would it be a reasonable time?

Thank you everybody for your comments!!

Take care,

Jorge

jkrabbe's picture
An online diagnosis is

An online diagnosis is unlikely but here's a suggestion. Go for some active release massage, try taking another week off of running, you can probably still swim. How much stretching do you incorporate in your week? If none, perhaps add a bit.

Give it another concerted effort at backing off before you consider yourself broken. The fact that you haven't changed much and that you don't mention any specific events seems to suggest that you aren't in huge trouble.

theShiba's picture
Sound like it's going to

Sound like it's going to require amputation. ;)

I'm sure that you are going to be fine. It's great that you are going to have a doctor check it out. Lately, i've definitely been taking the better safe than sorry approach with that. Stretching and massage may be great things to look into. Also might want to make sure that you nutrition is on track. I know I feel tired and sore when I am not eating right.

NotAsFast's picture
It's part of the territory

It's part of the territory of training. Break it down, let it heal, repeat. However it sound like you have done some small injury to the quads, more than likely a minor type of tear, as you are able to run for a short diatance before the pain begins.

As micro tears are normal in muscle tissue during routine training, which is the reason your muscles feel sore after a hard workout, extended soreness over 3 days is not normal.

By the sounds of your own diagnosis, it only hurts when you run. Keep swimming and biking, but at a lower intensity until you find the problem. Get some velcro ice packs and ice your quads down. The velco ones stay on better. Stretch, but slowly. Especially the opposite muscle group to the ones that are sore. It could be that they are the ones really causing the problems if they are tight.

Good call on the doctor. Even better call to go see a GOOD massage therapist (+1 jcrabbe) . I see one very two weeks. Walk (fast) instead of run or use an elliptical machine to reduce the impact until you see an improvement in your quads. They will heal.

NotAsFast's picture
NotAsFast wrote:It's part of

[quote=NotAsFast]It's part of the territory of training. Break it down, let it heal, repeat. However it sound like you have done some small injury to the quads, more than likely a minor type of tear, as you are able to run for a short distance before the pain begins.

As micro tears are normal in muscle tissue during routine training, which is the reason your muscles feel sore after a hard workout, extended soreness over 3 days is not normal.

By the sounds of your own diagnosis, it only hurts when you run. Keep swimming and biking, but at a lower intensity until you find the problem. Get some velcro ice packs and ice your quads down. The velco ones stay on better. Stretch, but slowly. Especially the opposite muscle group to the ones that are sore. It could be that they are the ones really causing the problems if they are tight.

Good call on the doctor. Even better call to go see a GOOD massage therapist (+1 jcrabbe) . I see one very two weeks. Walk (fast) instead of run or use an elliptical machine to reduce the impact until you see an improvement in your quads. They will heal.[/quote]

cayman's picture
Have you changed shoes

Have you changed shoes lately, just prior to this happening? What type of runner are you, heel striker, mid-foot, toe? If you're increasing mileage it a may be mechanics related. Might not be a bad idea to get someone to check out your running form.

At any rate, seeing a doc's agood idea, sports doc is a better idea.

jddk23's picture
Thank you all of you guys

Thank you all of you guys for your comments!!

I went back to my training log and I noticed 3 weeks ago I did 2 sessions of weights that I read from a triathlon magazine, and Saturday that week I may have done some extra effort as I rode 70 miles (for the first time ever without being dropped…that’s my log’s comment) with the faster group I’ve tried to ride with for over a year. As some of you have mentioned, I may have caused micro-tear to the quads.

I’ve already schedule therapeutic massage session for this coming week and I’ll definitively restrict my exercise to rides and swims…..or my legs will keep charging me the toll for running.

As for my running mechanics and shoes, I did change shoes but it was back in January. I ran Disney marathon “in the wrong shoes” (the ones recommended long ago for a local running store based on my gait) But in the race expo I got a video analysis done and they showed me what kind of shoes I needed. I bought the new pair a week later and I ran ING Miami marathon 2 weeks later with no pain whatsoever…..and everything is being fine as I switched back to triathlon training till I probably hurt myself with those 2 weight session and killer ride the same week.

THANK YOU GUYS FOR YOUR COMMENTS!!

I’ll keep my doctor appointment and do the massages, but I’m sure the problem was that weight training and ride in the same week.

Take care,

Jorge

PS: As for what kind of runner I am….I’m the one that walks entire marathons ;-) Well, not that bad, but I’m a 10-minute/mile heel striker. My mechanics is certainly very poor, but I believe in this case (as some have mentioned and my taining log confirmed) my pain is probably more related to excessive weight training and the hard ride without enough recovery.

THANK YOU AGAIN EVERYBODY!!

? Top