— Forum Discussions —

Best Recovery Drink Ever!

Alright, everyone has a favorite. Most people go with the science and stick with recovery specific products such as Endurox, Powerbar, Hammer etc, while others swear by chocolate milk or other home made brews. I'd like to hear what your favorite recovery drink is and why. Is it the taste, the ingredients, the price? I plan on posting the results to my blog at www.crewdthoughts.blogspot.com. (That's not spamming is it?)

No, it's totally cool.

Hard to argue with chocolate milk :) at least the taste factor...

i use cytomax mostly for riding. was doing muscle milk for post workouts but it can get old cause it's a bit clumpy. I actually just started using Base Performance for post workout, the taste is good and dissolves pretty well. Isn't the protein and calorie heavy supplement like musclemilk, mostly amino acids. Gonna use that this year and see how it works for me. [disclaimer, it is my brothers new product so I get free samples, but if it tasted like crap I'd say so :)] Other than that I've used the powerbar stuff as well, both the mix and the self serve pre-mixed one serving.

Projects: Trifuel.com, BASE Performance

I am always reading stuff on the Recovery Drink/foods.....

What distance should I start thinking about this stuff at? I always make sure to have a small bite after my workouts, but when should I start thinking about using an official recovery drink type thing? 50 mile bike? 30 mile bike? 10mile run? 13 mile run? I mean, I know that I could basically get the same calorie and protein/carb benefit from any food, but in your opinion(s) when should I start looking at something specifically geared for recovery vs. chocolate soy milk?

Beer. Hands down. Technically not a 'recovery' drink in the physical sense, but more of a psychological recovery. C'mon, know one-day dreams about a tall, cold Cytomax at the finish. I can't be the only one who thinks, "I can't wait to finish, grab a beer and sit under a tree and watch other finishers."

Actually, Slim Fast Optima. It is cheaper than almost everything else. Crack open a cold one and slam it back fast. Oh, sorry that was the celebratory beer at the end of a 1/2. But serious about the slimfast, I usually drink one for every 1/2 hour of training, and as an added benefit I stays your hunger for up to 4 hours..........

Speaking of beer, Latta plantation Tri (North Carolina Triathlon Series) has had a free beer trailer at every event for the past 5 years. Every had to call your wife to come and get you from a triathlon because you have had one too many........makes for a very interesting afternnon.

[quote=NotAsFast]Actually, Slim Fast Optima. It is cheaper than almost everything else. Crack open a cold one and slam it back fast. Oh, sorry that was the celebratory beer at the end of a 1/2. But serious about the slimfast, I usually drink one for every 1/2 hour of training, and as an added benefit it stays your hunger for up to 4 hours..........

Speaking of beer, Latta plantation Tri (North Carolina Triathlon Series) has had a free beer trailer at every event for the past 5 years. Every had to call your wife to come and get you from a triathlon because you have had one too many........makes for a very interesting afternnon.[/quote]

Slim fast. 4-1 carbs to protein, great taste (chocolate) when ice cold. Nothing like chugging one 10 minutes after a long workout. If no SF, then good old chocolate milk.

When I do long, hard bricks in the morning then a swim workout (usually ~5000m) I used to start to cramp a bit in my legs at about 3000-4000m, which isn't any good since this is typical workout about 4-5x a week. I was able to make it stronger through the swim after using Ultragen. No joke, it was like night and day once I started using it.

I use Cytomax Orange and peach are killer

Yoo-hoo, cheap and available at your friendly neighborhood kwik-e-mart or vending machine.

[quote=NotAsFast]Actually, Slim Fast Optima. It is cheaper than almost everything else. Crack open a cold one and slam it back fast. Oh, sorry that was the celebratory beer at the end of a 1/2. But serious about the slimfast, I usually drink one for every 1/2 hour of training, and as an added benefit I stays your hunger for up to 4 hours..........

Speaking of beer, Latta plantation Tri (North Carolina Triathlon Series) has had a free beer trailer at every event for the past 5 years. Every had to call your wife to come and get you from a triathlon because you have had one too many........makes for a very interesting afternnon.[/quote]

But OMG, the SMELL!

Grocery-store brand of ovaltine. It's exactly like chocolate milk (if you get the chocolate, not malt flavor) except with extra vitamins, which can't hurt. It's cheap and you can make it cold or hot. The latter is less important now, but sometimes I get really cold after biking in cooler weather, so the hot is good in that situation. I also just really like chocolate.

[quote=kkocan]Slim fast. 4-1 carbs to protein, great taste (chocolate) when ice cold. Nothing like chugging one 10 minutes after a long workout. If no SF, then good old chocolate milk.[/quote]

+1 on the Slim Fast--for the same reason. Costco actually makes one that is almost (but not exactly) like the slim fast (regular) in chocolate. I even have one before a long run as breakfast often on the weekends. It's not too filling and my tummy handles it well.

Ultragen is great, next is chocolate milk or an Ensure (chocolate of course!).

Recovery on key workouts (tough bricks, hill repeats, long bikes and runs): Endurox-2 scoops. On easier days (but at least an hour workout): I eat protein enriched pasta with some fake meatballs and veggies. Yum!
And I do have to say: I totally crave delicious endurox when I'm on my ride. Have you ever tasted chocolate flavor?? It's the nectar of the gods.... :)

After every long ride (45+ miles), and every run (8+), I always make a whey protein shake with milk, fruit, ice, and in addition I add my recovery drink (I'm trying FLUID for now). I'm not sure if that's overdoing it, but I always burn upwards of 3000 calories after every workout.

[quote=o2Ripper]but I always burn upwards of 3000 calories after every workout. [/quote]
I think you might be a little confused on your numbers. What method are you using to get that number?

[quote=UFTriGator][quote=o2Ripper]but I always burn upwards of 3000 calories after every workout. [/quote]
I think you might be a little confused on your numbers. What method are you using to get that number?
[/quote]

Well maybe not after "EVERY workout", but most of them.

Method? My heart rate monitor.

seems like a lot---even running a marathon, most I have burned is 2700 (and as some of you know I am not tiny tiny). That's coming from my HR monitor (polar). I tend to disbelieve it is very accurate, similiar to those on a treadmill. Everyone has a different metabolic rate tho.....

I used Endurox R4 for years. I started using when it came out and it worked for me...always seemed to help me recover for my downstream workouts. But last year in an attempt to limit money hemorrhage, I switched to chocolate milk.
It works for me and my downstream workouts are just as good as when I was using R4.

After a hard workout i like to hit the chocolate milk to wash down two pieces of wheat toast smothered in peanut butter, cinnamon, and sugar. I dont even care if it helps, it tastes great.

When i have the time for it though, my favorite recovery drink is a couple glasses of tap water and a nap. That doesnt happen often though.

-Alan

[quote=o2Ripper][quote=UFTriGator][quote=o2Ripper]but I always burn upwards of 3000 calories after every workout. [/quote]
[/quote]

Well maybe not after "EVERY workout", but most of them.

Method? My heart rate monitor. [/quote]
You might want to double check your HR calibrations.

It'd take, on average, almost 3 hours at 6min pace running for a 150lb guy, or 2 hours at 6min pace running for a 200lb guy, to hit that 3000 mark. At 8min miles you're looking at closer to 3 hours and 4 hours, respectively.

Recovery wise, I like my shakes with fruit, whey, and honey.

? Top