— Forum Discussions —

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
TriSooner's picture
Advice on Ironman Training program

I am looking to purchase a pre-packaged online training plan (eg., trainingpeaks, eraceplanner) and would like opinions based on people’s experience with specific plans. I am having a hard time choosing (for example, there are five full IM plans just at trainingpeaks.com)! Here are the factors I need to consider: I need a FULL Ironman program. Given that I am 20+ weeks out from Ironman Germany (my third IM) and my current base is strong, I can do anything from a 13 – 20 week program. (I am not interested in a virtual coach, camp, or a Power-based program). I am shooting for a 1:10-1:15 swim (1:50-ish pace); 6:00-6:30 bike (17mph+ avg); sub 5:00 marathon (each of which I have done at the IM distance, just not all in the same race). I can consistently devote 12-18 hours per week (willing to peak at 20) and I’d like one recovery day off per week. Any help would be appreciated. :)

trispirit32's picture
Hey, Just a thought. I am

Hey,
Just a thought. I am training for my 4th ironman canada this year. My last one in 2005 I used a "free" program developed by an amazing age-grouper Mike Llerandi. It is a FULL 36 week program with all workouts detailed completely. I had my best Ironman that year and am using it again this year. You can find it at www.opentri.com. It is a "facebook" like site and the SuperCoach program (as it is called) is available there. Hope it helps. Good luck.

Peace,
Stuart

wallflower's picture
trispirit32 wrote:Hey, Just

[quote=trispirit32]Hey,
Just a thought. I am training for my 4th ironman canada this year. My last one in 2005 I used a "free" program developed by an amazing age-grouper Mike Llerandi. It is a FULL 36 week program with all workouts detailed completely. I had my best Ironman that year and am using it again this year. You can find it at www.opentri.com. It is a "facebook" like site and the SuperCoach program (as it is called) is available there. Hope it helps. Good luck.

Peace,
Stuart[/quote]

I have used this too. You can find it right here under "training". Great Program.

ChunkyB's picture
Here's the Trifuel
TriSooner's picture
Sweet! I didn't even see

Sweet! I didn't even see that!

NigelTodd's picture
I use eRacePlanner and like

I use eRacePlanner and like the flexibility and what's included................. And you have access to a coach for the odd question. They have just started to offer a free trial, so you can see all the programs included before you buy it!!

Toddy.

CoachKev's picture
eRacePlanner has an Ironman

eRacePlanner has an Ironman Training Program for 3 different levels of athlete. The Level 2 program is designed for the experienced triathlete. It is suitable for someone with Half-Iron experience, training for their first Ironman or for someone with Ironman experience, aiming to improve their performance. Although the Level 2 program is 25 weeks, if you were to pick it up at Week 6, you would start off with 2 "Build" weeks of around 10 hours per week, before an easy/recovery week, which would be your first of 6 progressive overload cycles. The "Peak Week", which is your highest volume training week, finishing 3 weeks before race day, consists of 18 hours of training.

Alternately, as you have 2 previous Ironman races behind you, the 14 week Level 3 program might be considered. There a two weeks that consist of 20+ hours, but the main consideration, in terms of training load, would the increased intensity in the Level 3 program. Your best bet would be to download the eRacePlanner Free Trial and take a look for yourself. Training program descriptions for each of the Sprint, Olympic, Half and Ironman clearly outline who the programs are best suited for.

Good luck. KC.

mpl201's picture
Hey, that's a cool plug,

Hey, that's a cool plug, thanks!

We've got over 900 people registered at OpenTri from all over the world, and there will probably be over 1,000 by the end of February. There are nearly 200 folks using the IM distance program there, and the forum is pretty active with questions, advice, etc.

Check it out when you get a chance -- totally free: http://opentri.com

Take care,

Mike

JanetOnTheGo's picture
Mark Allen

Mark Allen (www.markallenonline.com) has a neat customizable training program that might work great for you. He has it set up so you can get a schedule based around your fitness, goals, and personal preferences. This could be perfect for you, since you seem to have an idea about what you want from your training.

Check it out and good luck with your IM!

Janet

? Top