— Forum Discussions —

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
transamman1999's picture
Colored bicycle tires - where can i get green ones?

i've been searching high and low for some good tires that come with green sidewalls.

i've found Vittoria's Open Pave EVO tire: (http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/glorycycles_1982_5805324) but it seems more of an everyday tire and i was hoping to find a lighter, race day kinda tire.

our college's colors are green and white and our jerseys are going to be green so i thought it would be a nice touch to have a little bit of green on my bike.

anyone know of any other brand of "race" tires that come in a normal green color (not a light green or sea green like the Michelin tires)

thanks in advance!!!

Socket's picture
Maybe you could mask off the

Maybe you could mask off the road contacting surfaces of regular race tires and paint/vynal dye them? White undercoat and green on top to get it to stand out, or even leave a strip of white to accentuate it more. Or just green on a whitewalled tire? (do they make whitewalled race tires?)

RV
RV's picture
These have a green option -

These have a green option - a neon green
http://www.biketiresdirect.com/productdetail.asp?p=SC375&buttonAction=ci...
Can not vouch for these tires as never used them

kylie's picture
For a long time I looked for

For a long time I looked for orange tires. But I have stopped -- I have found AWESOME tires, and they only come in black. I'll deal since they are worth it -- I remembered the most important thing is that my tires are changable for me and puncture resistant, etc. :) Just something to keep in mind before spending too much effort finding the right color -- I've never seen the really high end and well known lines of tires in colors. That said, Continental had some colors on the Grand Prix series for a while, and I liked those ok -- no green though.

I ended up going with handle bar tape to get my bit of orange.

Triguy98's picture
Good luck- the only bike

Good luck- the only bike tire colors i can recall are yellow, red, blue, grey, and black.

GGehrke's picture
I would look more at

I would look more at painting the tires, especially because you could do that just for races and use a bit of sandpaper to take it off afterwards so you're not riding around town like a goon with wacky coloured tires. I am pretty sure autozone or a shop like that will have tire paint, but your colour choices are probably limited. If you do a bit of searching online, I think a lot of old hot rodders painted whitewalls onto regular tires, so you can find tips on what sort of paints to use and how to prep the tires and whatnot.

More realistic would probably be painting your wheels. Then you can use pretty much any paint you want to get the exact colour. Just don't paint the braking surface. Or look at something like the Velocity Deep-V wheels which come in lots of colours. I have an orange Deep V on my fixed gear. They're a bit heavy, but they're bulletproof and supposedly aerodynamic (though they certainly can't compete with true deep section race wheels). A lot of people in the fixie crowd are really into coloured tires and such, so there are a few more options out there lately, but probably nothing race-worthy.

Overall, I say tires should probably stay black, the way God made them.

Triguy98's picture
GGehrke wrote: More

[quote=GGehrke]

More realistic would probably be painting your wheels. Then you can use pretty much any paint you want to get the exact colour. Just don't paint the braking surface. Or look at something like the Velocity Deep-V wheels which come in lots of colours. [/quote]

If one had money, you could have your wheels anodized. Or powder coated. Powder coating would bea easier to find, but a lto havier than anodization.

? Top